J.D. Robb discussion

Holiday in Death (In Death, #7)
This topic is about Holiday in Death
Archive - In Death Buddy Reads > Buddy Read - Holiday In Death (Nov. 2013) SPOILER ZONE

Comments Showing 1-50 of 109 (109 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

Sandra Hoover (sandrahoover) | 10171 comments Mod
This is a Buddy Read for Holiday In Death. Many of us have decided to take a slow stroll back through the series. We all have other books to read, so no hurry. Please join us if you want to do a reread, are new to the series, or just want to jump in our discussions.

Please note: Spoiler Alert...we will be openly discussing this book.

We're still talking about when to begin this one...one suggestion is later next week. I'm good with that. Let me know what you want to do.

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 12887 comments Mod
Perfect for the upcoming season.

I know...I'm so excited. I'm going to use this as one of my "holiday books" for a challenge!

Maggie | 1432 comments Later next week works for me :)

Stephanie (quiltsrme) | 63 comments Next week is fine for me too. How are we going to handle the novellas as Midnight in Death comes after this one, I think. Combine them with the next book?

You know what you might want to do...just a thought...

Midnight picks up right where this ends. Maybe it would be okay to read them on the same timetable.

Good idea. I was just planning to go straight from Holiday into Midnight if that works for everyone.

message 9: by Dee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 1070 comments Works for me. I will pull out Holiday today.

Maggie | 1432 comments Sounds good.

Kathy Hinton Sounds fine to me

Then it's into Holiday & Midnight we go! So glad this worked out right as the holidays are starting. Thanksgiving next week and Christmas coming way too soon!

I've started my reread of Holiday! Eve is worried over what to buy the man who has everything and who also owns the companies that makes everything!! I don't think she's ever had this issue before! Another "first" for our gal!

I felt for poor Eve. This was so hard for her.

Elizabeth (elizabeth1023) As hard as it was, I want Eve to buy me something! Without even knowing how, she buys the perfect gifts for everyone!!

LOL, Elizabeth! I want to be on her list too...well, after being on Roarke's list! :)

message 17: by Dawn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dawn | 3237 comments Yea, I want to be on Roarke's Christmas list. Even if Caro does the shopping lol

What would you want to receive from Roarke? (Try to keep it R-rated or lower:):))

message 19: by Dawn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dawn | 3237 comments Australia?...a small satellite?...Big Jack's diamonds?

Aah, all within his reach:)

message 21: by Dawn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dawn | 3237 comments Well, no sense in dreaming small.

Maggie | 1432 comments Halo room, Auto chef and a house with a big indoor heated pool! Oh, a library, with a fire place, big window and a huge comfy chair!!

Okay, so you want the house:)

Michelle | 2253 comments Hahaha. Ladies I just want Roarke for Christmas!!

Michelle | 2253 comments Just finishing off some books then I'll be joining

message 26: by Mara (new) - added it

Mara Pemberton (marapem) | 633 comments Every woman who reads the IN DEATH series wants Roarke! Including me.

Michelle | 2253 comments True but I'd just want him for a weekend.

At a time that is ;-D

message 28: by Dawn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dawn | 3237 comments I thought about that Michelle, but I don't think I'd have a chance over Eve, so money, status, etc which might enable me to find a possible second place to him lol

One night with the man himself...just me and him! *sigh*

message 30: by Dee (last edited Nov 24, 2013 05:12PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 1070 comments Sandra - *Star* wrote: "One night with the man himself...just me and him! *sigh*"

Unfortunately, Eve would kill you, and I would hate to lose such a great co moderator. Not to mention he is crazy about Eve. I wouldn't want to be with someone who is thinking about someone else

message 31: by Dee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 1070 comments I would like a android or two.

Also I liked how Eve just kept "picking up something" for someone she cares about.

Quynh | 1269 comments I would like a holo room and an autochef. Or a Roarke prototype droid. I'm not picky. ;)

message 33: by Dawn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dawn | 3237 comments I think if I had the diamonds from Big Jack, I could buy all of the other things.

Dee wrote: "Sandra - *Star* wrote: "One night with the man himself...just me and him! *sigh*"

Unfortunately, Eve would kill you, and I would hate to lose such a great co moderator. Not to mention he is crazy..."

It's my fantasy so Eve is out! LOL One night with the man & no Eve! I know...only in my dreams! (And you're right - she would kill me!)

message 35: by Dawn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dawn | 3237 comments I think he is so in love with Eve that a night with him wouldn't be as much fun as we think. But fantasy is always a good thing. :)

Yeah, it would ruin my fantasy. One of the things I love about him is his devotion to Eve so it's hard to go there:)

Yeah...but it's a "fantasy" so I'm forgetting his devotion to that other woman - the one who will kill me! lol I don't know what else I would ask for...any one of his fabulous cars might be nice. Or maybe his helicopter!!

message 38: by Vera (new) - rated it 5 stars

Vera Maslow | 446 comments I would like a trip to Ireland... Fully paid, private transpo!!

Holiday in Death is so good. So many humorous exchanges between Eve & Peabody, Eve & McNab, Eve & Roarke, Eve and just about everybody. I just love the semi-serious banter in these books. The banter and tension building between Peabody & McNab...just awesome reading!

I thought it particularly cruel how the killer uses Santa to inflict so much agony and death. I'm curious if any found this too macabre....

It bothers me, for sure, mainly because he is such a symbol of innocence and good in the eyes of children. I was a bit uncomfortable with it the first time I read this book. I would really love to hear Robb's thoughts on choosing it as the killer's disguise. Other than the obvious, that's it's the holiday and there are "Santas" everywhere.

It was very clever for the killer to use.

It was clever and I guess that's the reason for it with a holiday time of year book. It's still a bit creepy though. And, actually, I would say most people would be very trusting of a person dressed up as Santa at that time of year. Even though, in this day and time, we all know better then to blindly give our trust.

Elizabeth (elizabeth1023) I didn't think the Santa disguise was too much. I think it was clever and well explained.

Also, I really liked how Eve apologized to Rudy. The scene in the hospital between Eve and Rudy before they woke up Piper was so well done. Eve setting aside her personal feelings about their relationship because she knew how important Rudy was to Piper was great. Showed just another reason why I love Eve.

Another thing I love in this book is when Eve sneaks into Roarke's library trying to discover whether he has every book Yeats has written or not. Summerset surprises her. The exchange between them is classic Eve & Summerset. The computer had told Eve that Roarke has every Yeats' book. When Summerset realizes that Eve was going to purchase one for Roarke, knowing how important this author is to Roarke, he tells her that Roarke doesn't have the First Edition of one of the books and then offers to help secure one for her to give Roarke. Awesome exchange and moment in the ongoing saga of Eve & Summerset!

message 46: by Teri (new) - rated it 5 stars

Teri Woolley I can't believe I'm almost done with this book. But it's turning into one if my favs. It's MAG! I love the scene where Mavis and Leonardo give Roarke and Eve the box. I got a little choked up. Such a wonderful gift.

I loved that scene too, Teri. And then later in the book, each time they put a "memory" in the box, I just sighed. And Roarke puts a wish in...so sweet.

Michelle | 2253 comments Finally started but this weekend will be a bust as far as reading goes. Helping friend move into new home.

As for Santa being used. I think it's brilliant. Although we know not to blindly trust we still are swayed by things like Santa Claus and Easter bunny. It's the last innocence left in the world. We are surrounded by social media and up to date event coverage. And let's face we are forced to grow up much faster than our parents ever had to.

But also I think that by the very fact Robb used such a symbol she wants a faction. Looking at this from every angle makes you think and talk about what you read.

I agree Michelle. It is the perfect disguise for a Christmas crime...no one can argue with that. I still cringed just a bit the first time I read it but I realize it's a brilliant ploy and works perfectly in this book.

message 50: by Teri (new) - rated it 5 stars

Teri Woolley I also agree with Michelle. What we innately trust from childhood is twisted giving a lot if dramatic tension.

« previous 1 3