Madam, want to talk about author Mary Stewart? discussion

The Gabriel Hounds
This topic is about The Gabriel Hounds
Buddy Reads > The Gabriel Hounds Chapters 5-8

Comments Showing 1-50 of 52 (52 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Discussion for chapters 5 thru 8. Please comment on anything from these chapters, but remember to hide spoilers within a spoiler tag. Please note which chapter a spoiler is from so other readers will know if it is safe to "peek" or not. You do not have to wait until reading all of the chapters to comment, but please restrict your posts to content from chapters 1 thru 8. Enjoy!

Note: I am dividing the read into 5 sections, each 4 chapters long. I may adjust as we go, so check the chapter numbers for each section! :)

ToniS | 18 comments "It seems to me that the only good thing that age brings is the right to be as arbitrary as one wants and to live as one wishes as long as one can afford it."

ToniS | 18 comments I just love Aunt Harriet's dismissal of Christy in Chapter 5. So perfect. I wish I could walk around saying, "I have spoken," and have that be the end of it.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

She's a bit scary, isn't she? It makes me wonder what the source of her "power" over everyone is.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

I can't seem to find any good pictures of the area, or the river, but here's a picture of a saluki, a Gabriel Hound:

description

Judith (judithgrace) | 322 comments Jeannette wrote: "I can't seem to find any good pictures of the area, or the river, but here's a picture of a saluki, a Gabriel Hound:

"

Lordy, that's one ugly dog! His expression sort of reminds me of Cruella D' Ville on a good day.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

lol they can run like the wind, imagine!

Judith (judithgrace) | 322 comments Aunt Harriet, hmmm, something not quite right there.

Judith (judithgrace) | 322 comments I think MS description of Dar Ibrahim is as gothic as she's ever gotten in a book. The Castello in "This Rough Magic" was pretty gothic in description, but this one beats all.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

I agree, Judith, that Dar ibrahim has a definite Gothic feel.

And, finally, nearly halfway through the book, something interesting seems about to happen. The setup has taken quite a long time.

message 11: by HJ (new) - rated it 4 stars

HJ | 300 comments I like all those gentle details! Don't worry, it's gets pretty busy in the end.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Hj wrote: "I like all those gentle details! Don't worry, it's gets pretty busy in the end."

Thanks! I'm guessing it will, and if it wasn't for Stewart's wonderful writing, I'd not be looking forward to what's to follow.

message 13: by Hannah (last edited Nov 20, 2013 04:45PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Hannah (hannahr) | 405 comments Wow, the saluki IS a unique sort of dog. I can't decide if I like the look or not. I'm partial to the long-snouted racing breeds like greyhounds and whippets. I think it's the hairy ears that are strange looking on a dog that large.

message 14: by Misfit, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Misfit | 587 comments I'm struggling bit this time around. It is slow t o build up.I have had a hellacious few days at work, especially today. I'll Rey again tomorrow, since I have a four day weekend.

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

You get a 4 day weekend right before a holiday weekend? Lucky you.

message 16: by Hannah (last edited Nov 20, 2013 06:08PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Hannah (hannahr) | 405 comments Misfit wrote: "I'm struggling bit this time around. It is slow t o build up."

Yes, the slow build up is what I remember about this as well.

Surprisingly, I'm not as squicked out by the cousin thing, probably because the American edition tried to distance the relationship, and probably because we see so little of them as a true couple.

message 17: by Misfit, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Misfit | 587 comments Jeannette wrote: "You get a 4 day weekend right before a holiday weekend? Lucky you."

Took some vAcation days. Meeting a bookish pal for late breakfast tomorrow and then Finally Found Books. I've heard a lot about the Sun Break Cafe in auburn, so we're going to check it out.

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Sounds like a great plan! Can't wait to see what you add to the pile. :)

message 19: by Misfit, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Misfit | 587 comments Jeannette wrote: "Sounds like a great plan! Can't wait to see what you add to the pile. :)"

I'm more interested in breakfast. This place s supposed to have mines out the door on weekends. Thick thick bacon. Yum.

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

The books are just for dessert! :) There was a little breakfast place we used to go to in Issaquah (maybe?). I love those sorts of restaurants. We ate at a diner in Bend that still had the car ordering stations (like at A&W). I don't know if they were functional or not. They served huge portions!

Diane Lynn | 481 comments Misfit wrote: "Thick thick bacon."

Oh wow, that sounds good! Enjoy. :)

message 22: by Misfit, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Misfit | 587 comments I love these kind of places. Michele's getting the short end of the stick with the longer drive from Port Orchard (I'm just north in Kent), but she's game, especially the temptation of a new to her used book store.

Sun Break doesn't have a website I can find, but this article from 2010 has me ready for a pile of food:
http://seattletimes.com/html/restaura...

message 23: by HJ (new) - rated it 4 stars

HJ | 300 comments Hannah wrote: "Wow, the saluki IS a unique sort of dog. I can't decide if I like the look or not. I'm partial to the long-snouted racing breeds like greyhounds and whippets. I think it's the hairy ears that are..."

They have very sweet faces in real life! And they're surprisingly tall, but not overbearing because they're so slim.

debbicat *made of stardust* (cr8zycat) | 428 comments Jeannette wrote: "I can't seem to find any good pictures of the area, or the river, but here's a picture of a saluki, a Gabriel Hound:

"

How beautiful!!!! Glad you posted this. I have been trying to picture what the hounds look like.

debbicat *made of stardust* (cr8zycat) | 428 comments Jeannette wrote: "I agree, Judith, that Dar ibrahim has a definite Gothic feel.

And, finally, nearly halfway through the book, something interesting seems about to happen. The setup has taken quite a long time."

I agree. It sure has. :-)

debbicat *made of stardust* (cr8zycat) | 428 comments Hj wrote: "I like all those gentle details! Don't worry, it's gets pretty busy in the end."

I am enjoying them too. Ready for some action to pick up. I think it is about to.

debbicat *made of stardust* (cr8zycat) | 428 comments Hannah wrote: "Misfit wrote: "I'm struggling bit this time around. It is slow t o build up."

Yes, the slow build up is what I remember about this as well.

Surprisingly, I'm not as squicked out by the cousin thi..."

You know, I haven't thought the cousin thing was weird at all. For some reason, reading some of the preview stuff, I had it built up bigger in my head that it actually is. I haven't been bothered by it so far.

debbicat *made of stardust* (cr8zycat) | 428 comments I might be dim, but, up until this point (and I am half way thru, I have wondered why in the world this title was given to the book. Just started ch 10 and beginning to see more about the possibilities. Not to give anything away.

Ashley | 8 comments I usually google images of places and plants and such mentioned in books, but for some reason I didn't do that with The Gabriel Hounds until near 100 pages in. If you search for "nahr ibrahim lebanon" I think that helps get an idea of the area. I had the hardest time picturing the list of flowers with the desert-like book cover!

message 30: by Karlyne (new)

Karlyne Landrum | 1107 comments Ashley wrote: "I usually google images of places and plants and such mentioned in books, but for some reason I didn't do that with The Gabriel Hounds until near 100 pages in. If you search for "nahr ibrahim leban..."

When I started reading Mary Stewart, google hadn't been invented, so I hardly ever remember to use it while I'm reading. Usually, I just let everyone else do the work for me and let them post their finds. Which is awfully nice of them!

debbicat *made of stardust* (cr8zycat) | 428 comments I loved this book. And that surprised me. :)

message 32: by Karlyne (new)

Karlyne Landrum | 1107 comments On one of the other threads, we were talking about how well-educated reading Mary Stewart has helped us to be, and this is definitely the way I like to think of the Lebanon!

debbicat *made of stardust* (cr8zycat) | 428 comments :-) Agreed! I was clueless about that part of the world before I read this book.

message 34: by HJ (new) - rated it 4 stars

HJ | 300 comments A great book to read to understand what the Lebanon was like at the time Mary Stewart was writing is The Hills of Adonis: A Journey in Lebanon by Colin Thubron. I think it was one of the first books he wrote, after an enchanting visit to the area. Unfortunately, the place has since changed almost out of all recognition.

Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽ | 1080 comments HJ wrote: "A great book to read to understand what the Lebanon was like at the time Mary Stewart was writing is The Hills of Adonis: A Journey in Lebanon by Colin Thubron. I think..."

I've often wished I could visit some of these places before they were changed by tourism, industry, etc.

message 36: by Karlyne (new)

Karlyne Landrum | 1107 comments Oh, me, too, Tadiana! I do wish I had a time machine...

Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽ | 1080 comments Time for more pictures!

Here's the Adonis Source discussed in Chapter 7:

description

And here's a painting of Lady Hester Stanhope, the inspiration for Aunt Harriet:

description

message 38: by Sara (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sara (phantomswife) | 104 comments Love the photo of the source! Stewart did a great job of describing it, didn't she.

I have run into Lady Stanhope in two books I have read recently. I guess this means I am destined to go find a book about her and know all the details.

debbicat *made of stardust* (cr8zycat) | 428 comments Love the photos Tadiana.

message 40: by Karlyne (new)

Karlyne Landrum | 1107 comments I'm really enjoying the banter between Charles and Christy. I think a significant part of happiness is being able to share sly or simple or inside jokes with someone who won't be offended or clueless. Practically blissful!

Jackie | 143 comments debbicat ☮~Traveling Sister wrote: "Love the photos Tadiana."

yes, thank you for posting them Tadiana. and the saluki is very beautiful.

there really is a long but beautiful setup, isn't there? because we know some serious action is coming.

But before it does, we have the thunderstorm in the night and the Seraglio Court, the general spookiness of the place and then Christy finds (view spoiler), meanwhile the plan to (view spoiler)

and in chapter 7 Christy suddenly finds herself (view spoiler) that was pretty subtle.

two quotes I love:
the nightingale that had been singing overnight "doing overtime in the roses"
and Charles saying about Aunt Harriet "she knows how many beans make five"

and the relief at the end of chapter 8 when (view spoiler)

Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽ | 1080 comments It is a great setup that Mary Stewart created here; maybe a little long-winded but I think the payoff at the end makes it well worthwhile. She really did have a way with words, one of the reasons I’ve reread her books so often. I think I own every single one of her romantic suspense novels (not counting the last couple of mediocre “cottage books”) and have multiple copies of several of them.

message 43: by Karlyne (new)

Karlyne Landrum | 1107 comments I have several double copies, too, because I don't ever want to lose one and not have a back-up!

message 44: by Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽, Moderator (last edited Jul 07, 2019 08:02PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽ | 1080 comments I collected a bunch of vintage paperbacks of her books in college, but every so often I’ll come across a cheap hardback copy or newer paperback and can’t resist. :) I also bought several of my favorites in Kindle versions a couple of years ago when her books finally came out on Kindle, just because.

message 45: by Karlyne (new)

Karlyne Landrum | 1107 comments Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽ wrote: "I collected a bunch of vintage paperbacks of her books in college, but every so often I’ll come across a cheap hardback copy or newer paperback and can’t resist. :) I also bought several of my favo..."

My resistance is pretty much non-existent...

Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽ | 1080 comments Well, it’s hard to resist when most of her books are only 2 or 3 dollars on Kindle! 😎

message 47: by Karlyne (new)

Karlyne Landrum | 1107 comments Or in used book stores...🤗

message 48: by Julie (last edited Jul 08, 2019 03:18PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Julie | 53 comments Ch 5 - It really is a strange set-up in the palace. What is John Lethman up to? (view spoiler) I suspect he would have preferred the meeting not to take place, but had to allow it so that Christy wouldn’t suspect anything amiss. How much influence does he really have over G/a Harriet? Who has the upper hand here? Questions, questions.

Ch 6 - interesting the legend of the “gabble ratchet.” Death’s hunting pack - it all helps create the mood of the place and the storm....quickly put aside when Christy has more practical matters to deal with! I like that no-nonsense side to Christy, balancing out the romantic - she goes out to listen to the nightingales, but decides after five minutes (and seeing an intruder) that she’s had enough!

Such vivid descriptions, too, of the aftermath of the storm, both that night and the day after. With Mary Stewart’s writing it’s like a watching a film, so cinematic are her descriptions.

Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽ | 1080 comments It all seems very bizarre (and it is!) but the plot all makes sense in the end. :)

Julie | 53 comments Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽ wrote: "It all seems very bizarre (and it is!) but the plot all makes sense in the end. :)"

I’m sure it will! :) Meanwhile she sets up an overall sense of mystery very well.

« previous 1

Madam, want to talk about author Mary Stewart?

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Hills of Adonis: A Journey in Lebanon (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Colin Thubron (other topics)