Readerville Veterans discussion

Hello old friends

Comments Showing 1-50 of 105 (105 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Sirvent (nancyess) | 126 comments Susan, This is a great idea. I didn't even know that GoodReads has this feature. I already miss being able to check out what my invisible friends are reading, so I'm looking forward to this.

message 2: by Danyel (new)

Danyel (danamo) | 1 comments happy to be here as well!

message 3: by Miriam (new)

Miriam | 60 comments thanks for inviting me Nancy. It's nice knowing I can find Readerville folks in several places. I'm already really missing having an online space where I could find you all.

message 4: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisapeet) | 60 comments Hey all. I've invited a few people too -- no one who would be, y'know, antithetical to this group. I do miss the old joint...

message 5: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 64 comments I just breathed a huge sigh of relief. HUGE!

I also finished Jar City last night. A good and crepy mystery set in Iceland.

I have really missed everyone.

message 6: by Miriam (new)

Miriam | 60 comments I was in the kid's section of Chapters on Monday and picked up The Thief - its a Newberry Honor book and for some reason caught my eye. What a fun read. Both my 13 year old and 46 year old selves were delighted. I have some quibbles with the ending but it was a gas reading a book straight through with no desire to put it down.

message 7: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 64 comments That sounds good, Mir!

message 8: by Miriam (new)

Miriam | 60 comments Really missing Readerville today. I want my peeps!

Has anyone read Last Night in Montreal? It keeps popping up in the twitterverse and and I can't figure out if its hype or genuine positive responses.

message 9: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisapeet) | 60 comments It's getting a lot of buzz in twitter/NYC indie circles but I don't know anything about it. (I know, that's helpful.) It hasn't crossed my path at all, though. It would be interesting to read just to see how much of the twitter book buzz is a real indication of whether your average lit reader would like something, or if it's just cliquey logrolling. Or somewhere in between.

message 10: by Pumpernickel (last edited Jul 23, 2009 01:02PM) (new)

Pumpernickel | 14 comments HA! Found you guys ! Man... This is sooooooooooo HUGE ! I'm still getting to know my way around; there is certainly a LOT to check... I found this totally by chance, when I was looking for more information on the book The Woman in White , which arrived in a box to me yesterday, together with some gifts for people in Santos, where I'm headed tomorrow...

I wrote to Lauren saying I felt a bit of an orphan with the closing of Readerville... Didn't you guys feel the same ? I bet some of you DID... And Susan is the moderator here... Hi, Susan !!! ( Waving frenetically all the way from São Paulo, Brazil !!!)

Here's what : I'm going to the beach tomorrow, and I should only come back in the beginning of August; it's only a week, and a short vacation, but I'll enter in contact with you all again, OK ?

I'm happy to have found you here ! A tight hug to each !

message 11: by Meg (new)

Meg Clayton (megwaiteclayton) | 10 comments Hi, everyone! Thanks for the pointer here, Susan!

message 12: by Miriam (new)

Miriam | 60 comments Hello Meg (weeks later . . . .). Always love to see what you're reading.

message 13: by Meg (new)

Meg Clayton (megwaiteclayton) | 10 comments Hi, Miriam!

message 14: by Kat (last edited Jan 22, 2010 06:59PM) (new)

Kat Warren | 50 comments My photo is Sparky (full name: Spartacus Waldo); ain't he a grand dude?! We adopted him from the pound a year ago and obey him now in every way.

message 15: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Sirvent (nancyess) | 126 comments Klewark wrote: "My photo is Sparky (full name: Spartacus Waldo); ain't he a grand dude?! We adopted him from the pound a year ago and obey him now in every way."

He is magnificent. Really commands his space. You should take him to Hollywood.

message 16: by Kat (new)

Kat Warren | 50 comments You should take him to Hollywood.

Now there's a decently remunerative thought. Someone's got to cash in around here.

message 17: by Kaethe (new)

Kaethe (kaethedouglas) | 14 comments Your Sparky looks like our Greys, except they have yellow eyes. He's a handsome lad.

message 18: by Nean (new)

Nean | 2 comments Hi! Thanks for the invite, Nancy - nice to see y'all.

message 19: by Kaethe (new)

Kaethe (kaethedouglas) | 14 comments Hell0o, cuz! How are you? And of course, read any good books lately?

message 20: by Cordel (new)

Cordel Durrant | 26 comments Hi Nean, welcome. Good to see you here.

message 21: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisapeet) | 60 comments Hey ya, Nean!

message 22: by Miriam (new)

Miriam | 60 comments Hi Nean!

message 23: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 64 comments Wahoo. Hey Nean. Reading anything good?

message 24: by Nean (new)

Nean | 2 comments Hi, all! Mostly reading business requirements documentation :( but also trying to catch a few minutes here and there on Katharine's True Confections and Michael J. Sandel's Justice.

message 25: by Cordel (new)

Cordel Durrant | 26 comments How are you enjoying True Confections: A Novel?

message 26: by Meg (new)

Meg Clayton (megwaiteclayton) | 10 comments I finished True Confections a few days ago, and loved it. Just delightful!

message 27: by Karen (last edited Apr 14, 2010 03:36PM) (new)

Karen | 61 comments I just found a new website (UK) for new and used books with free shipping if you buy at least two books. They have a lot of Viragos I haven't seen elsewhere. www.awesomebooks.com.

message 28: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 64 comments Karen! I hate you. Officially.

message 29: by Karen (new)

Karen | 61 comments That's what I'm here for!

message 30: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 64 comments Good to have a reason for living, isn't it?

message 31: by Karen (last edited Oct 09, 2010 01:37PM) (new)

Karen | 61 comments This group's been dormant lately. Has anyone seen the new feature here, book compatibility test? It has some strange things on it, including the list of books titled "women's fiction." So far I have 100 percent compatibility with Lauren & Lisa, 96 with LuAnn, 84 with Kat, 83 with Miriam, 74 with Nancy & Julie.

message 32: by Kat (new)

Kat Warren | 50 comments Hi there, how do I find the compatibility tool?

message 33: by Karen (last edited Oct 09, 2010 01:36PM) (new)

Karen | 61 comments Click on a friend's name. In the top center click on compare books. Then off to the right side there is a book compatibility test.

message 34: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Sirvent (nancyess) | 126 comments Hi gals! Nice to see folks here!

message 35: by Miriam (new)

Miriam | 60 comments I haven't checked yet (but will in minutes) so I don't know what my scores are, but I'm not surprised by your's Karen's. It's what I would expect. I know just from experience that I'm a bit off from you and Lauren and Lisa. I suspect that we all influence each other's tastes. I'd be a bit closer to exPat and Catherine if they were here. I was really close to Karen Templar's taste. When she liked it a book it almost always worked.

message 36: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Sirvent (nancyess) | 126 comments Kat, I get 83% compatibility with you. Why do you only get 74% with me?

message 37: by Nancy (last edited Oct 09, 2010 01:46PM) (new)

Nancy Sirvent (nancyess) | 126 comments This is interesting. Here's my compatibility list, in descending order:

KarenW = 84%
Kat = 83%
LuAnn = 80%
LisaP = 79%
SueR and JulieC = 77%
LaurenB and LeahK = 76%
Miriam = 72%

message 38: by Karen (last edited Oct 09, 2010 01:40PM) (new)

Karen | 61 comments Did you mean me, Nancy? I thought you and I would be higher. Yeah, I did it again and it still came out 74. That's weird.

message 39: by Karen (last edited Oct 12, 2010 07:09PM) (new)

Karen | 61 comments Also, Lisa and I have a lot of the same tastes but I remember hating Atmospheric Disturbances, a book she liked a lot.

message 40: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Sirvent (nancyess) | 126 comments Yes, Karen, I did mean you. Sorry about that.

message 41: by Karen (last edited Oct 09, 2010 02:22PM) (new)

Karen | 61 comments There are 2 different lists. The first is just straightforward comparison of books (I got 84 with you, Nancy) then there's the "compatibility test" which came to 74. Don't know why they're different. Anyway, it generates conversation.

message 42: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Sirvent (nancyess) | 126 comments Ohhhh. I have to try that all again. Thanks.

message 43: by Luann (new)

Luann Ritsema (luannr) | 35 comments There's an acutal compatability test with pre-chosen books -- if you click on edit my answers when you are looking at a friend's compatability, it takes you to those lists. So, I think comparison looks at how many books you have in common then how you rated those -- while compatability looks at how many of the pre-selected books you both have read and how similarily you both rated those. I think. So, a compatability score could be lower or higher than a comparison score based on the differences between Goodreads list and those of the participants. A convoluted explanation that may be completely wrong and total BS!

message 44: by Kat (new)

Kat Warren | 50 comments Whoa, this got complicated!

message 45: by Kat (new)

Kat Warren | 50 comments Well, ain't this interesting. My scores are less than surprising but it's smugly satisfying to know my intuition is right on the mark.

KarenW -- 89%
LuAnn -- 87%
Lauren -- 85%
Nancy -- 83%
Miriam -- 79%

I guess we all know our kind.

message 46: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Sirvent (nancyess) | 126 comments Wow. Kat and Karen are 89%. That's the highest I've seen.

message 47: by Kat (new)

Kat Warren | 50 comments Nancy, I think my score with you went down a peg or two on account of "Never Let Me Go" and "Disapparition of James."

message 48: by Kat (new)

Kat Warren | 50 comments "Kat and Karen are 89%"

We're both unashamed anglophiles to the max.

message 49: by Karen (new)

Karen | 61 comments Perhaps that should be my new tagline.

message 50: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Sirvent (nancyess) | 126 comments Yow. The stats are completely different when I do the book comparability:

LuAnn = 85%
Miriam = 84%
Kat = 80%
Julie 79%
KarenW = 74%
Lysne = 73%
Lisa = 70%
Lauren 68%
Sue & Gayla = 60%
Leah = 50%

« previous 1 3