The Complete Idiots Guide to the Ultimate Reading List discussion

Chapter 2: Popular Fiction > Tourist Season by Carl Hiaasen

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by MJ, Idiot's Top libriarian (new)

message 2: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Ah, Carl Hiaasen. His humor is genius, but you've got to put some space between reading his books. I've read all of his stuff, and although this particular book is not my very favorite, it's up at the top of the list. He has a unique way of telling a story from all the characters points of view without any overlapping. There is always action, violence, sex, love, and a decent mystery in each of his books. He is one of my favorite authors and I always recommend reading anything by him. He has a few books for children that are fun too.

This particular book has a Florida native pissed off at how the tourists are ruining his perfect state and a former reporter turned P.I. is trying to figure out a way to catch/stop him and thinking maybe he shouldn't.

message 3: by Mary (new)

Mary Jane | 14 comments I have to agree about putting some space between his books. Having said that, I've read several of them and found them side-splitting. Haven't read this one, but I really enjoyed Skinny Dipping, Native Tongue (about wild animal parks and proactive senior citizens in Florida) and his latest (which title escapes me).

message 4: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Stormy Weather was my favorite. Have you read that one Mary?

message 5: by Mary (new)

Mary Jane | 14 comments I don't think I've read that one either. I read one about cosmetic surgery gone bad and the last one (which I read on vacation) was about an obituary writer for a newspaper and a rock group called Jimmy Stoma and the Slutpuppies. LOL!

message 6: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Skin Tight is the cosmetic surgery one. I love his destruction scenes. He is so good at describe all the mayhem and damage as things go wrong for his characters!

message 7: by Mary (new)

Mary Jane | 14 comments I'm new at this Goodreads site, so I don't know if it's permissable to introduce a new author into a discussion, but here goes. (Slap my hand if I transgress, please!) Another author who does wonderful scenes of mayhem is Janet Evanovitch. I just love her Stephanie Plum series, although she's beginning to apparently run out of fresh ideas. Her last was not up to par, and I just read a review of the new one coming out which said the same thing. Maybe Stephanie needs to retire, but that would break my heart! Stephanie, Lula, Connie, Joe Morelli, Ranger and Stephanie's nutsy family all seem like my family now.

message 8: by Melissa (new)

Melissa I feel the same way! At this point, I keep reading knowing it will be more for the laugh factor than for a great plot. I realize she'll never make a choice between the two men, and you know what? I'm okay with it because I really just like getting into the characters lives every now and then. I'm not picky since I usually have an ear to ear grin and some good chuckles when reading these books.

message 9: by MJ, Idiot's Top libriarian (new)

MJ | 1332 comments Mod
Mary wrote: "I'm new at this Goodreads site, so I don't know if it's permissable to introduce a new author into a discussion, but here goes. (Slap my hand if I transgress, please!) Another author who does wonde..."

All conversations that are respectful are good. And as a huge Stephanie Plum fan I am ok with any mention of her. In fact One for the Money is on this list. There are also 2 or 3 groups dedicated to Janet Evanovich here on GR

message 10: by Mary (new)

Mary Jane | 14 comments I read an interview with Evanovich somewhere in which she said that she wouldn't have Stephanie choose between Joe and Ranger until the last book she writes about them.

The Complete Idiots Guide to the Ultimate...

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Tourist Season (other topics)