TJEd discussion

Reading to LITTLE ones

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Heather (new)

Heather (Calyntine) | 3 comments Any suggestions for little kids.. i'm reading "The Trumpet of the Swan" and i just finished "Charlotte's Web".. They are enjoying the reading aloud... but they're only 3 and 5... any book suggestions?

message 2: by Charyce (new)

Charyce (CharyceMcGregor) | 2 comments Mod
Are you wanting chapter books versus picture book suggestions?
Here are some of our family fav's: (I have a 3 month, 2 year, 8 year, and two 9 year olds)

**Picture books**
The Little Engine That Could
Dr. Seuss Classics- (Horton Hears a Who, Cat in the Hat, Green Eggs and Ham etc.)
Hope for the Flowers
Richard Scarry's Cars and Trucks and Things That Go
Aesop's Fables
The Complete Tales and Poems of Winnie the Pooh

**Chapter Books**
The Great Brain (series)
Stuart Little
Little House on the Prairie (series)
Indian in the Cupboard (series)
Black Beauty
Alice in Wonderland
A Little Princess
The Borrowers
Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of Nimh
The Little Prince

These aren't anything "new", but I do think that as far as classic chapter books go they are a little easier to understand.

Hope that helps!

message 3: by Jenni (new)

Jenni | 6 comments I agree with all that Charyce listed, but would like to add a few.

Where the Wild Things Are
Nightmare in My Closet
Goodnight Moon
Professor Wormbog in Search of the Zipperumpazoo
Little Toot

And for a good read aloud:
Peter Pan (the original)
The Velveteen Rabbit

message 4: by Heather (new)

Heather (Calyntine) | 3 comments I was mainly stuck on good chapter books for the EXCEPTIONALLY young crowd. You know... to read aloud to them! Thanks, you've given me some great ideas!

message 5: by Alicia (new)

Alicia | 3 comments For the really young, I would also suggest the Magic Treehouse series.

message 6: by Heathermommy (new)

Heathermommy | 1 comments I have a 3 and a 5 year old as well. We just read My Father's Dragon and loved it. My oldest also liked The Courage of Sara Noble and the first two books of the Betsy Tacy series.

Try these books for book suggestions:
Honey for a child's heart

The read aloud handbook

message 7: by Heather (new)

Heather (Calyntine) | 3 comments THANKS! To add to the "list" for others... mine (now 5 1/2 and 4 years) have recently enjoyed Bunnicula, Pond Scum, Spiderwick Chronicles, and The Phantom Tollbooth!

message 8: by Myranda (new)

Myranda (MyrandaLH) | 9 comments Oh! I second and third the Magic Treehouse series! The stories are simple, yet are fuill of fun facts. They are fantastic transition books for independant reading, as they are fairly simple text and quick read, yet in chapter format. It takes me about an hour to read a full one aloud to the children - about 15 miutes if I'm reading silently;-) Young children will easily understand the stories.

Remember though that children will learn to understand whatever they are exposed to. I know that Diann Jeppson read the full _Lord of The Rings_ to her girls when her youngest was quite young (3?) -- she loved it:-)

message 9: by DeEllen (new)

DeEllen (dstowell6) | 1 comments My kids' absolute favorite is Mr. Popper's Penguins. My 5 year old even went so far as to write Captain Cook a letter. We had to send it to the North Pole because that is where he was visiting.

We have also enjoyed Magic Tree House books, Flat Stanley, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, and an illustrated version of Treasure Island.

message 10: by Lucinda (new)

Lucinda | 5 comments Myranda:

Did you say Diann Jeppson teaches the Liberty Girls group in your area? I only have boys but we are considering moving to Utah for work and I would like to know what areas near SLC have really active groups. Here in Oregon we have one group with younger kids like mine and they do a Moms School together were each semester they focus on what they want their kids to learn like cooking, and they pool their resources and do it all together. I am not part of it but it sounds great. Any info you can give me on groups in the SLC area would be appreciated. Thanks!

message 11: by Myranda (new)

Myranda (MyrandaLH) | 9 comments Lucinda,
Diann runs the *YASA* group personally -- Young American Stateswoman Association, which is for 10-13yo.
Liberty Girls groups are for 6-9yo, and we have *several* in SLCounty -- the listing of groups and leaders at www.ayli.com site.
As the girls move out of LG many of them choose to go into YASA, and eventually we will need another chapter to accomodate them;-) (YASA is capped at 30 participants, while LG have 12.) We have grown from *one* LG chapter to *22* in a matter of 4 years!:-)

Of course with boys there are several KoF groups too - again, listed at the site. As the boys move up they may want to join the Statesmanship club, or one of the others clubs (not ayli, but still TJEd) that are springing up -- like the one that I'm helping with on the westside of the valley. As more moms learn to apply TJEd principles they are finding what works for their kids and developing the type of support they need:-)

Mom schools are great and the sense of community is fantastic! But still, what they need the most in the younger years is Mom:-) It can be very easy (especially with multiple kids) to get over-run with activities, and miss out on the basics of being a homeschool family. BTDT;-P

We have a lot of resources here in Utah:-) with active communication through yahoogroups, both on the statewide and local groups -- you can find the egroups through http://www.uhea.org by clicking on "Community" then "Utah support groups". If you have any specific questions feel free to contact me directly at MyrandaLH@gmail.com :-)