Women in History discussion

June/July > Other book suggestions

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Marcie (new)

Marcie | 28 comments Mod
Tell us about other books featuring women warriors.

message 2: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (loriechka) | 1 comments I am heading to the library tomorrow to pick up "The Warrior Queens: The Legends and the Lives of the Women Who Have Led Their Nations in War." It sounds pretty interesting and discusses the many warrior queens throughout history. I'll let you know how it is!

message 3: by Doris (new)

Doris (yksdoris) | 1 comments Biographies of Joan of Arc and Maria Theresia of Austria come to mind. Also the Crimean War and Florence Nightingale as a modern pioneer of women on/near battlegrounds would be good (only I've never actually read anything specifically about her so I can't recommend something that I'd know was good). There should also be plenty of material on army followers. Female guerilla fighters in fiction ("For whom the Bell tolls", for example)

message 4: by Wosny (new)

Wosny | 5 comments Doris wrote: "Biographies of Joan of Arc and Maria Theresia of Austria come to mind. Also the Crimean War and Florence Nightingale as a modern pioneer of women on/near battlegrounds would be good (only I've neve..."
I have just been reading "Florence Nightingale" by Cecil Woodham Smith. I'm not sure that she could be seen as a warrior, even though she was a staunch campaigner. She had no time for women's rights, and mostly brought about change by her tireless writing and her understanding of statistics!
It's a good book, though readable and informative.