The Indian Bride (Konrad Sejer, #5) The Indian Bride discussion

Who do you think...(spoilers)

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Carolyn ...committed the murder? Is Goran guilty?

I have to admit that, as misogynistic and despicable a human being as Goran is, when Sejer was trying to manipulate him into giving a confession, I was a bit upset at Sejer's methods, as I wasn't fully convinced of Goran's guilt in the crime. Then Goran confessed and I thought, "Well, okay, I guess he did do it."

It's hard for me to imagine an innocent man confessing to a crime he didn't commit as a result of Sejer's interrogation, which, let's face it, didn't approach anything like the torture to which I might understand someone breaking down and giving a false confession.

But by the end of the book, what with the ways Goran's confession didn't quite add up, and because of the rather haunting exchange between Mode and Einar at the cafe, I was less certain.

Thoughts?

Kevin Personally, I think that Mode did it. Granted, Goran would have used the magnesium to keep his hands dry as he lifted the free weights; but, Mode would also have used it while bowling (which he had done that evening). Besides, Fossum does have a tendency to have little odd bits in her stories (see the ending of When the Devil Holds the Candle).

Minty McBunny I think Mode did it as well, as soon as they mentioned the bowling ball, I wondered. I have read in other police procedurals where someone will give a confession out of desperation after a long interrogation, it could happen. This is the only Inspector Sejer novel I have a quarrel with, because of the open ended 'whodunnit' and also how we're left hanging with Skarre's stalker.

laura Minty wrote: "I think Mode did it as well, as soon as they mentioned the bowling ball, I wondered. I have read in other police procedurals where someone will give a confession out of desperation after a long int..."

you mean what happened in the end with the girl who stalked Skarre?

Minty McBunny mirta wrote: "Minty wrote: "I think Mode did it as well, as soon as they mentioned the bowling ball, I wondered. I have read in other police procedurals where someone will give a confession out of desperation af..."

Yes, I read where he got the buttons in the mail and kind of blew it off then nothing else ever came of it. Or did I miss something?

laura damn lol now I can't remember the buttons thing, I just remember when she sent him the newspaper clip about the young man getting stabbed in front of the club!

Gina @Minty - Agreed, Skarre received the buttons and Sejer told him it was nothing so Skarre blew the whole thing off. Which makes no sense to me as police, especially Detectives would be trained and aware of “stalker’s” as they would deal with them via work.
Clearly Skarre stated he had seen Linda standing outside his apartment watching, she had found his home number in the phone book, she had called him at home in the middle of the night twice. It would be fairly clear who sent two gold button hearts stringed together, and then clear the newspaper article sent was a threat, if not a treat from Linda then a threat from someone.
The story was left hanging as Skarre disappeared into the night on his way home with the readers knowing Linda was waiting for him dressed in her new blouse and carrying the knife. Perhaps the next book will cover it.

Minty McBunny But the next book didn't cover it, nor any subsequent books (I have read the whole series now). It really bothers me!

Gina @Minty - AHHHHH, I haven't. I'm reading them in order but now I'm livid that she just drops it and doesn't cover it!!!
That is not good and a trick I don't like. Why even bother to have the character go in that direction? It's just wasted time and space. All for nothing.
I should drop her a line and say, "Please don't ever do that again", lol.
So Minty who do you think killed Poona???

Minty McBunny That is why this book bothers me so much & is the only one of all the Inspector Sejer books that I don't like, the stalker thing was dropped and never resolved and because of the open ended 'whodunnit'. I really believed both things would be addressed int he next book and was very disappointed that they never were. And none of the other books have issues like this. All I can think is she was having some sort of personal crisis while writing this one & just wasn't focused!

I believe it was Mode who killed her. Why? We'll never know.

message 11: by Mel (new) - rated it 2 stars

Mel Don't bother to read this book.

Vassia Louka I just finished reading the book!! I still believe that the killer was Jomann, her husband!! The inspectors said that the killer was out of control, he couldn't understand what was doing. And Jomann was so weird, he didn't go out to search for Poona, he didn't call the police!! Also, when Jomann was talking to his sister he said that Poona was killed by a rock. The inspectors never told to him that was a rock. And his job is to sell chemical products, so it's possible to be the magnesium powder they found.
What do you think??

laura Vassia wrote: "I just finished reading the book!! I still believe that the killer was Jomann, her husband!! The inspectors said that the killer was out of control, he couldn't understand what was doing. And Joman..."

wow never even thought about this! what would be his reason for doing so in your opinion?

Vassia Louka Mirta i can't imagine why he would do that! But it's also an answer to the question of why Poona left the cafe..because he saw her husband coming or smth

laura very interesting indeed, I hope more people join this discussion with their comments....
maybe she just became impatient or desperate although she didn't strike me as an impatient person. it would have been easier for him to just pick her up from airport and kill her wherever if he wanted to do it instead of risking of exposing himself near the village but yeah, he seemed weird enough.

Minty McBunny I don't think he would have killed her in a million years, I think he truly loved her and was truly grief stricken. I really believe Mode did it. With the bowling ball. The Magnesium powder is used by bowlers.

But I also really dislike this book for this very reason!

laura Minty wrote: "I don't think he would have killed her in a million years, I think he truly loved her and was truly grief stricken. I really believe Mode did it. With the bowling ball. The Magnesium powder is used..."

I like it because its different from others and makes us come to so different conclusions :)
I am undecided between Mode and Goran because I have no idea or don't remember Mode's possible motive and Goran is too obvious but sounded right in the head to do it at the time.

message 18: by Gretchen (new)

Gretchen At first, after finishing the book, I thought Mode did it, but then I remembered: Gorøn knew she didn't have her suitcase with her, and he knew her bag looked like a banana, not a strawberry or melon.

Νικολέτα As a new reader, this is my first novel and im really disappointed with the ending. I really dont know who the killer might be, but the little girl Linda seemed really suspicious to me. She was the only person who had seen the crime scene, she was obsessed with the case, and was capable to kill someone who didn't like her back. While any other character didnt seem to have any motivation to do so. I dont know if i trully believe in it, but there is a tiny chance, right?