Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > afterword "author" listed?

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Eva-Marie (last edited Jun 13, 2009 02:19PM) (new)

Eva-Marie (evamarie3578) | 755 comments Do we list the person who writes an afterword as an author?
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/52...

Should he, if he should be listed, be specified some certain way? It looks strange to me that this other person, Robert Bonazzi, is listed as an actual author when he didn't write or help write this???

message 2: by Brixton (new)

Brixton | 43 comments If it's worthy of noting, I've sometimes included something like "This edition includes an afterword by Robert Bonazzi" at the end of the book description. In some cases assigning "contributor" seems in order-- depends how lengthy the contribution, I suppose. A paragraph about the book, probably not; a full-on essay or something of that sort, especially if written by someone famous or a noted scholar of the author/work, I might call that person a "contributor."

message 3: by Eva-Marie (new)

Eva-Marie (evamarie3578) | 755 comments I was thinking along the lines of a short message in the description also. The afterword in here is a little less than 6 pages, 'this marks the so and so anniversary' type thing. (I haven't read it- I read an earlier edition and only just picked this up today.)
Thanks for your opinion. I'm sure others will chime in to and let us know what they do.

This Is Not The Michael You're Looking For | 949 comments I often will list the author of an afterword as an author with the role specifically specified as "Afterword" (or similarly "Foreword" or "Introduction" as appropriate; in my mind "Contributor" means something else). I don't go nuts about it, but if I happen to notice them I strive for accuracy. It's really hard to know where to draw the line from a micro-introduction to an actual meaningful essay, so I err on the side of inclusion.

message 5: by Cait (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments This Is Not The Michael You're Looking For wrote: "I often will list the author of an afterword as an author with the role specifically specified as "Afterword" (or similarly "Foreword" or "Introduction" as appropriate; in my mind "Contributor" mea..."

Yeah, if someone's specifically credited with an afterword, like on the book in the original question, that's what the "role" is for.

message 6: by Eva-Marie (new)

Eva-Marie (evamarie3578) | 755 comments Thanks everyone- I like Michael's idea a lot- I just haven't ever noticed it before. I like things to be as accurate as possible. (I even have a little list going of authors who are totally "done"- ones where I have the author page looking as perfect as possible and all the books combined...for now...LOL)
I didn't think 'contributor' fit the bill here and on this there is no role at all. So it looks like he was an actual author.
He is listed on the cover as writing the 'afterword' so I'll steal Michaal's idea!