Ladies who love Laurell discussion

Evolution of Anita

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Starr (new)

Starr | 59 comments One thing I love about the Anita series is the evolution of her character. She goes from sleeping with stuffed penquins, worrying about the neighbors in her apartment complex and only having two guns to a women with unlimited weapons, unlimited men, trying to sidestep a serial killer and not caring so much about what other people think. Like life, she has truly moved on to a group of people, love them or hate them, who get her. I feel like these books have changed so much since I first started reading them. What do you guys think? Have these books taken twists and turns you never expected? Do you like where the seires is going?

message 2: by Starr (new)

Starr | 59 comments What sparked this thought is how different Skin Trade feels from the other books. The interaction with the other vamp hunters and police reminds me of the days when Anita used to consult for Dolph and hang with Zebrowski (whom I lovingly now call Jim). But its different because these practioners are opening up her metaphysical world. I love the complexities of these books and how all this metaphysical goodness (and badness), religion, myth and folklore come together. I'm only a quarter of the way through Skin Trade, so no spoilers if you can help it!

message 3: by mlady_rebecca (new)

mlady_rebecca | 278 comments Starr wrote: "She goes from sleeping with stuffed penguins, worrying about the neighbors in her apartment complex and only having two guns to a women with unlimited weapons, unlimited men, trying to sidestep a serial killer and not caring so much about what other people think. Like life, she has truly moved on to a group of people, love them or hate them, who get her."

Great description. I never would have included the "unlimited guns" part, but I guess you're right.

I love the fact that we see Anita's journey from being isolated, to having so many important people in her life. From seeing anyone not human as monster, to seeing the preternatural as individuals, to embracing her own "otherness". After all, she was born a necromancer; she was never truly human.

I don't think this is a spoiler, since it's been building for many books now. But I really love the fact that she seems to be pulling back from being the boogie man of the vampire world, and is actually becoming the preternatural community's biggest advocate.

message 4: by Starr (new)

Starr | 59 comments I totally agree that she isn't struggling so much with the question "am I a monster?" I think what we've really seen is Anita grow up and set aside a lot of fear and hatred about a world she's apart of and doesn't always understand. I love how she maintains what makes her unique, even when others like Edward have long abandoned the need for emotional connection.

message 5: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Malmquist | 35 comments to Mlady and Starr: I really agree with what both of you said about the development of Anita and her abilities, character, viewpoints, etc Excellent points.

message 6: by Starr (new)

Starr | 59 comments Wow & Edward, too! I'm really digging how his relationship with Anita has changed. It's only inevitable that Death and THe Executioner should be family! It makes me wonder how her relationship with Otto will change. Edward never creeped me out like Otto does.

message 7: by Lisa (last edited Jun 17, 2009 05:58PM) (new)

Lisa Malmquist | 35 comments Starr wrote: "Wow & Edward, too! I'm really digging how his relationship with Anita has changed. It's only inevitable that Death and THe Executioner should be family! It makes me wonder how her relationship with..."I agree, like the way this book comes back to Edward and Anita's relationship and they are better than ever. Otto well....how does one have a relationship with a serial killer?, well you don't, why would you want to.?..he's only handy when there is something worse to kill.....that's what seems to keep him in check.

message 8: by Jen (new)

Jen (SilverRain3) | 9 comments Starr wrote: "One thing I love about the Anita series is the evolution of her character. She goes from sleeping with stuffed penquins, worrying about the neighbors in her apartment complex and only having two gu..."

I love where the series is going and how it is developing. Metaphysics is a complicated subject that there really is no book on, you get the basics and have to figure the rest out from there. Laurell has captured that perfectly and the addition of new characters while working though the drama of the old characters is keeping me so enthralled... I just finished The Harlequin and am working on Blood Noir. Skin Trade is already waiting on my dresser. ;)

message 9: by Starr (new)

Starr | 59 comments Oh Jen, you are gonna LOVE Skin Trade. There is a new metaphysical element I don't believe Laurell has explored with Anita. She's touched on it, but now Anita meets another person who has one of her more stressful abilities (think Ardeur but angrier). You'll like it. But please don't rush Blood Noir to get to Skin Trade; Savor Jason! I like to think I'm maturing because I am learning patience in that I'm not reading these books at one sitting like I used to!

message 10: by Jen (new)

Jen (SilverRain3) | 9 comments Starr wrote: "Oh Jen, you are gonna LOVE Skin Trade. There is a new metaphysical element I don't believe Laurell has explored with Anita. She's touched on it, but now Anita meets another person who has one of he..."

Trying not to rush but already half way through it and can't put it down. I am frustrated with one thing though.... Anita has found over time that she can heal Lycan and vampire with her different abilities... especially that she can, in a way, mold vampire skin like she does the zombies.... BUT.... why doesn't she try to heal Asher's scars??????? maybe I am thinking to much... but it keeps eating at me that maybe she could.

message 11: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Malmquist | 35 comments Jen wrote: "Starr wrote: "Oh Jen, you are gonna LOVE Skin Trade. There is a new metaphysical element I don't believe Laurell has explored with Anita. She's touched on it, but now Anita meets another person who..." It seems like it should be that way, I thought about that too...but there is more info about it later in the story....

message 12: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 129 comments I am still in her only sleeping with penguins stage. I almost 100 pages in The Killing Dance
talk about sexual frustration. should i have sex with richard or should i have sex with the other guy. she is driving me nuts when your naked there is not much else to do but she always stops it or gets interupted.

I was listening to the radio and Bush came on ... no sex in your violence .. so Anita
any way I hear she just goes "wild" in some books. what book does she do this in ?

message 13: by mlady_rebecca (new)

mlady_rebecca | 278 comments Anita breaks her abstinence streak in "The Killing Dance". She breaks her monogamy streak in "Blue Moon". In "Narcissus in Chains" she inherits Jean-Claude's incubus, becoming a sort of living vampire, a succubus. That is where the sexual content of the series markedly increases.

message 14: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 129 comments thanks mlady
im in the killing dance now. i can't wait to get to those books! im really enjoying this series

message 15: by Susan (Suz) (new)

Susan (Suz) (sharney) Wow interesting to hear how she changes!!! I am currently through Burnt Orange and looking forward to Blue Moon next!!!! But I am REALLY loving this series and LKH in general!:)

message 16: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Salaiz (jennifersalaiz) WOW, I didn't know that. Thanks, I'm on Obsidian Butterfly (halfway finished) and I can't wait to get to the next one!

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

Starr wrote: "One thing I love about the Anita series is the evolution of her character. She goes from sleeping with stuffed penquins, worrying about the neighbors in her apartment complex and only having two gu..."

Okay, you just made of fan of me =) I must go to Amazon to do some shopping!