Comments Showing 1-50 of 62 (62 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Laura (new)

Laura 1. A Long Way Down - Nick Hornby
2. Self- Yann Martel

message 2: by Laura (new)

Laura 3. Persepolis - Marjane Satrapi

message 3: by Meg (new)

Meg (megvt) | 575 comments How was Self? I thought Life of Pi was incredible. Please share!

message 4: by Joanie (new)

Joanie | 335 comments I loved "A Long Way Down" Hornby has a gift for creating totally whacked out characters. Persepolis was great too-so was the sequel. Embroideries by Satrapi wasn't as good but still an entertaining look at women and relationships.

message 5: by Laura (new)

Laura Meg,

I too loved Life of Pi - and I have heard Yann Martel speak, and I think he is amazing (big crush here!). While I loved the beginning of Self, from about halfway through (the metamorphis) I started feeling differently.

Will give his other books a read, to see if I can recapture my love for Mr Martel.

message 6: by Laura (new)

Laura Joanie,

I really love Nick Hornby's writing. Songbook was a particular favorite.

Persepolis is interesting - I saw the movie about a month ago, and really wanted to read the graphic novels. So glad that I am. Just about to finish part 2....will be done tonight!

I don't know much about Embroideries - but will put it on the list to check out.

message 7: by Joanie (new)

Joanie | 335 comments I didn't know Persepolis was a movie, I'll have to check it out. And I haven't read Songbook either, so now I have two things to add to my list, thanks!

message 8: by Laura (new)

Laura Persepolis is a great movie. French with english subtitles. I saw it with a friend, when it first came out, and the theatre was so packed that we couldn't even sit together (and we went early). Not too shabby for a foreign film. It is clever, but I kind of wish that I had read the books first.

The movie is enjoyable, but I suggest sitting near the back of the theatre. Having to sit in the first 5 rows of a subtitled movie, is hard on the neck.

message 9: by Laura (new)

Laura 4. a complicated kindness - miriam toews
5. Persepolis 2 -Marjane Satrapi

message 10: by Meg (last edited Feb 13, 2008 09:22AM) (new)

Meg (megvt) | 575 comments I would love to hear Martel speak. It means a lot when you can hear an author whose works you admire. I live in a small VT town with an incredible bookstore that lures many excellent authors to speak here. It is a real treat.

When I read Life of Pi, I felt as though it was two separate books put together. A lot of people could not get through the first part (the zoo), but being a zoo afficiendo I devoured it all.

I also love Hornby's books.

message 11: by Laura (new)

Laura Meg,

I love author readings. Its one of my favorite things to do.

Martel is a very interesting speaker. One of the things he spoke about was how the arts are very underfunded in Canada. So he has a plan to do something about it. Every 2 weeks he sends a book to Stephen Harper (Prime Minister).

check out his website
http://www.whatisstephenharperreading...

Its very interesting.

Nick Hornby is great - isn't he.

message 12: by Laura (new)

Laura 6. Voices From The Street - Philip K Dick

message 13: by Laura (new)

Laura 7. Geek Love - Katherine Dunn

I hated this book, and only because the imagery was way too much for me to handle. I can understand why a lot of people loved this book - just wasn't a good choice for me.

I never really liked the circus, let alone traveling freak shows.

message 14: by Laura (new)

Laura 8. The Camomile Lawn - Mary Wesley

"meh"

message 15: by Laura (new)

Laura 9. Girl With A Pearl Earring - Tracy Chevalier

message 16: by Laura (new)

Laura 10. March - Geraldine Brooks

I loved this book. While there are some voices missing. It definitely gives a more complete story of Little Women.

message 17: by Laura (new)

Laura 11. Trying to Save Piggy Snead- John Irving

I know his books are popular, and I even like him as a person (I really enjoyed one of his readings for "Until I Find You", but I just don't like his books. There is something way too familiar about them, and when I finish one, I feel like I need a very long hot shower. I should just stop reading his books altogether.

I have to admit, this one was easier for me, than his others....but still needed the shower.

message 18: by Laura (new)

Laura 12. A Wild Sheep Chase - Haruki Murakami

I love Murakami's books- I wish I knew japanese, so I could read them in his native language. His books are filled with so much space. I envy his style.

message 19: by Linda (new)

Linda Laura,
I recently discovered Haruki Murakami and I was delighted with his short stories. Thanks for recommending A Wild Sheep Chase.

message 20: by Laura (new)

Laura Linda,

I am glad you are enjoying his writing. A Wild Sheep Chase was a bit different than his others, but perhaps it was the translation.
Anyway, it was still fantastic.

Do you get the craving to eat sushi and drink japanese beer when reading his books? Or is it just me?

message 21: by Laura (new)

Laura 13. How the Grinch Stole Christmas - Dr Seuss
14 The Aunts Go Marching - Bill Richardson

I know they are kids books. But read them to my nephew recently, and I hadn't read them before....So I am counting them!

message 22: by Laura (new)

Laura 15. Catch-22 Joseph Heller

Initially, I had a hard time with this book - all that dialogue (and trying to figure out who everyone is), but once I got into the groove - I fell in love with it.

message 23: by Laura (new)

Laura 16. Maus I My Father Bleeds History - Art Spiegelman

message 24: by Laura (new)

Laura 17. Dance Dance Dance- Haruki Murakami

I loved this book - a bit more than all of the other books of his that I have read. And I have loved those a whole lot!

message 25: by Laura (new)

Laura 18. The Jane Austen Book Club - Karen Joy Fowler

At least I got through the book quickly...but still "meh".
However, I would like to revisit some works by Jane Austen...and so if that as the intention- then I guess the book was somewhat successful.

message 26: by Laurie (new)

Laurie (Laurie0303) | 60 comments I am currently reading this one. So far, I actually like the movie better which rarely ever happens. It has made me want to read more Jane Austen and Ursula LeGuin, though. The Left Hand of Darkness is on my "To Read" list now.

message 27: by Laura (new)

Laura Laurie,

I am interested in reading a lot more Jane Austen - in fact I am going to read "The Watsons" next. I haven't read any Ursula LeGuin - but it did get my attention from the book...so I will probably check some out. Any recommendations on LeGuin?

I didn't know that The Jane Austen Book Club was a movie, until after I read it. Makes sense really. It probably would be not too bad as a movie.

message 28: by Laura (new)

Laura 19. The Orchid Thief - Susan Orlean

I liked the book. Originally I picked it up, because I loved the movie Adaptation. And this book made me appreciate the movie all the more. The journey between book and movie is huge!

Still an interesting read. And I want to own an orchid, now.

message 29: by Laura (new)

Laura 20. Maus II - Art Spiegelman

message 30: by Laura (new)

Laura 21. The Watsons - Jane Austen

Honestly, couldn't figure out how this differs from any other other Austen novel. Just kind of seemed to be a mishmash of everything else of hers that I have read.

message 31: by Laura (new)

Laura 22. Blink - Malcolm Gladwell

I loved this book. Makes me feel ok about making quick judgements

message 32: by Laura (new)

Laura 23. Bluebeard - Kurt Vonnegut

Really enjoyable....thought provoking.

message 33: by Laura (new)

Laura 24. The Woman Who Wouldn't - Gene Wilder

yep that Gene Wilder. The book is charming.

message 34: by Laura (new)

Laura 25. On Chesil Beach - Ian McEwan

message 35: by Laura (new)

Laura 26. Perfume - Patrick Suskind.

Creepy, entertaining, and at times made my skin crawl.

Made me want to experiment mixing scents together, but not for the purpose of murder.

message 36: by Laura (new)

Laura 27. White Noise- Don DeLillo

message 37: by Laura (new)

Laura 28. Empire Falls -Richard Russo

message 38: by Meg (new)

Meg (megvt) | 575 comments How did you like this one? I really like this author, I have read quite a few books by him. His latest is Bridge of Sighs which I liked a lot too.

message 39: by Laura (new)

Laura Meg,

Empire Falls was the first book I have read by this author. I liked the book, up until near the end. While I could see the whole school thing happening - I was a little surprised that he would go there....and it kind of disappointed me.

But overall - I loved the book. It made me want to live in a small town, where everyone knows each other- and the nuisances it can cause.

message 40: by Meg (new)

Meg (megvt) | 575 comments I guess that is why it was so good for me because I do live in a small town (population 3700) and life is really like that. He has written quite a few books, Nobody's Fool is one of his best. Also, his new one Bridge of Sighs is good, but more in the feel of Empire Falls.

message 41: by Laura (last edited Feb 25, 2009 03:38AM) (new)

Laura 29. Three Cups of Tea - Greg Mortenson and David Oliver Relin

This book will help anyone feel like they can and should achieve greatness (or at least attempt it).

message 42: by Laura (new)

Laura 30. The Eight - Katherine Neville

For the most part it was like The Davini Code - but better (with more action)

message 43: by Laura (new)

Laura 31. On Beauty - Zadie Smith

message 44: by Laura (new)

Laura 32. Ring Of Fire - A Tribute to Johnny Cash - Brian Mansfield

message 45: by Laura (new)

Laura 33. Freakonomics - Steven D Levitt

message 46: by Laura (new)

Laura 34. Snow- by Orhan Pamuk

A slow start for me, but after page 100 I really started getting into it.

message 47: by Laura (new)

Laura 35. The Yiddish Policeman's Union - Michael Chabon
36. The Siren's of Titan - Kurt Vonnegut

message 48: by Laura (new)

Laura 37. Musicophilia - Oliver Sacks

message 49: by Laura (new)

Laura 38. What I Talk About, When I Talk About Running - Haruki Murakami

39. Eats, Shoots, and Leaves - Lynne Truss

message 50: by Laura (new)

Laura 40. The Forest Lover - Susan Vreeland

« previous 1