What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

The Hidden Arrow of Maether
This topic is about The Hidden Arrow of Maether
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. YA fiction About a Runaway Girl (most likely fantasy) [s]

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Valerie | 59 comments I started reading this book a few years ago but never finished. I can't remember the author or the cover but I do remeber that the girl ran away.
Here is what I remember reading: I think she was around 15 or 16 and her father was going to marry her off. She said she didn't want to so her father hit her hand and it bled. The hand didn't hurt and it left a scar that I think had some connection to her new adventure. The scar had some magical aspect to it so that is why I think it's a fantasy. They raised sheep I'm pretty sure. The setting was somewhere in the past, before plumbing. She had siblings and I know she at least has a brother. Her mother would not defend her from her father when she told her father she didn't want to marry.
Any suggestions would be much welcomed, Thanks!!

message 2: by Random (last edited Jun 13, 2009 02:04PM) (new)

Random (rand0m1s) | 102 comments Could it be Sheepfarmer's Daughter by Eizabeth Moon?

Its the first book in the The Deed of Paksenarrion series.

Valerie | 59 comments I don't think it was part of a series, but Thanks.

message 4: by Mir (new)

Mir | 714 comments How about Wolfking? That sounds like the background before the mythical adventure part kicks in.

Valerie | 59 comments For a second I thought maybe it is but no, the main girl was by herself when she ran away. She didn't seem to have friends and her family didn't look like they would go though a lot of trouble to go after her.

message 6: by April Ann (last edited Jun 18, 2009 02:19PM) (new)

April Ann (bloomer) | 516 comments Sadika's Way A Novel of Pakistan and America by Hina Haq Sadika's Way A Novel of Pakistan and America by Hina Haq, 2004.

Summary: After Sadika arranged marriage to her first cousin in America falls through, which ruins her reputation and her hopes on finding a suitable match, she decides to go to the United States on her own.

In Beautiful Disguises by Rajeev Balasubramanyam In Beautiful Disguises by Rajeev Balusubrmanyam, 2001.

Summary: To escape an arranged marriage, the sixteen-year-old daughter of a middle class South Indian family runs away to Delhi and takes a job as a maid in a household where the other servants are as strange as her employers.

Valerie | 59 comments Thanks but, its not that one either. The girl wasn't from India and there was no mentioning of the US.

I think that the girl had all younger siblings and I'm pretty sure she had sisters too (though young).

message 8: by Cara (new)

Cara | 23 comments Do you remember if it was part of a series?

Valerie | 59 comments I don't think so, but then again I didn't read the whole thing.

message 10: by Cara (new)

Cara | 23 comments Ok so what about maybe some physical attributes of the main girl? You know hair and eye color etc...

message 11: by Valerie (last edited Oct 27, 2009 09:17PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Valerie | 59 comments I'm thinking she was a brunett and had brown eyes but I'm not 100% sure. The only thing I'm sure about is that she was young, white, and most likely skinny.

message 12: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6967 comments Mod
um, er--if you leave the "magic in the scar" part out, this sounds a LOT like Anne McCaffrey's Dragonsong. borrowing Lawrence bernabo's description, this is what the book is about:
"Dragonsong" is the first of Anne McCaffrey's Harper Hall of Pern trilogy which focuses on my favorite Pern character, Menolly. In this first story, Menolly is the youngest child and daughter of Yanus, Sea Holder at Half-Cirlce Sea Hold in Benden Hold. Although she displays astounding musical talents, Menolly's father will have none of it. After the death of Petiron, the old Harper, Menolly is allowed to sign only to give the children their teaching songs. But when Elgion, the new Harper, arrives at Half-Circle Sea Hold, Menolly is forbidden to play ever again. Literally adding injury to insult, Menolly sustains a grevious wound to her hand while cleaning fish. But just as it looks at if life could not get any worse for Menolly, a wonderful thing happens. She impresses a clutch of nine fire lizards. In her miniature queen Beauty and the rest of the clutch, Menolly has a chorus of fire lizards who harmonize with her in a most amazing way. Meanwhile, Harper Elgion is having a problem, because he has been ordered by Master Harper Robinton to discover the prodigal talent Petrion has discovered. In his last message the Old Harper had sent two of the loveliest melodies Robinton had ever heard. But clearly none of the young lads at Half-Circle Sea Hold has a whit of musical talent and Yanus makes up some story about a foundling sent back to his own hold. Eventually Robinton himself comes to solve the mystery of the missing musical talent.

He does an excellent job of describing the plot. This one I always felt was more a YA than an adult book. Of course, part of that reason was because of the age of Menolly (the main character) who was about 14 or 15 at the time that this portion of the story is taking place.

message 13: by rivka (new)

rivka | 303 comments But the OP mentions sheep, which don't even exist on Pern.

message 14: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6967 comments Mod
How sure are you of that? They have horses--even if they DO call them "runner beasts" its just that she's changed the names for some of the animals.

message 15: by rivka (new)

rivka | 303 comments Menolly's family are seaholders. They fish all day. In fact, a knife slipping while she was gutting a fish is how she hurt her hand.

I guess herdbeasts could include sheep as well as cows, but I thought I remembered from Dragonsdawn that there was a problem with the sheep ova . . .

Anyway, no sheep and no magic for Menolly.

message 16: by Mir (new)

Mir | 714 comments Well, Menolly did have a magic bond with her little dragons, didn't she? In fact, I thought it had something to do with them tasting her blood from the cut when they hatched, but I could be mixing that up with the Heart's Blood trilogy.

message 17: by rivka (new)

rivka | 303 comments I haven't read that trilogy, but I guess so.

Menolly had firelizards, which bonded to her because she fed them at birth and they imprinted on her. No magic required. ;)

Jackie "the Librarian" | 219 comments The Heart's Blood trilogy is more SF than fantasy, as are the McCaffrey books. No magic, just dragons and planets. :)

Valerie | 59 comments I actually looked at Drangonsong the other day so its not it but thanks.

message 20: by Alycia (new)

Alycia (alyciac) | 47 comments OK, this is a stretch ... but possibly Mercedes Lackey's Arrows of the Queen?

The main character, Talia, is a child in a polygamous, patriarchal sect. In the first chapters her father has arranged a marriage for her, which she objects to. The only other option for a woman is taking holy vows, but Talia wants to become a Herald. She runs away from the sect and is discovered by a magical Companion.

I don't recall anything about a scar on her hand, but it's also been years since I read this.

message 21: by Mir (new)

Mir | 714 comments Oh, actually she does have a scar on her hand, from where her evil older brother burned her with a poker. I don't think there was anything magical about the scar, though.

Valerie | 59 comments I'm starting to wonder if I just dreamed this book up. That one sounded close. It's not it though. Thank you.

message 23: by Kimberley (new)

Kimberley Graham (KimberleyGraham) | 1 comments I think you're talking about "Go Ask Alice."

message 24: by Valerie (last edited Apr 11, 2012 05:38PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Valerie | 59 comments I'm pretty sure it wasn't set in modern times so that can't be it, but thanks.

message 25: by Kate (new)

Kate Farrell | 4070 comments Mod
Hi Valerie, this post had been moved to the folder: "Query Abandoned by Poster".

Should I move this back to the active Unsolved folder so that more people will see it?

Valerie | 59 comments That would be great Kate, thanks.

message 27: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 1396 comments I'll move it back to UNSOLVED.

Valerie | 59 comments Bump

message 29: by Emilee (new)

Emilee (emilove) | 12 comments Maybe Brightly Woven ? Can't remember if she has a scar but it is fantasy. Does she travel with a sorcerer in your memory?

message 30: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jessdaygeorge) | 177 comments Winter of Fire by Sherryl Jordan? The girl is essentially a serf in a nonindustrial society. Her face is branded, but she fought the branding and so it's stretched into a scar. She's about to be sold or married or something like that when a water dowser from the upper caste seeks her out to train her.

message 31: by K. (new)

K. (aoutranc3) | 76 comments Jessica wrote: "Winter of Fire by Sherryl Jordan? The girl is essentially a serf in a nonindustrial society. Her face is branded, but she fought the branding and so it's stretched into a scar. She's about to be ..."

I'm not the OP, but that book sounds awesome!

Valerie | 59 comments I've read Brightly Woven and liked it a lot.
Winter of Fire isn't it but Katie's right it sounds pretty good. Thank You!

Valerie | 59 comments I remember I left off right after she had run away and she was in the woods. I think the cover had a woodsy look to it but I'm not absolutely certain.

Rebecca | 71 comments This sounds like it might be The Hidden Arrow of Maether

Valerie | 59 comments I think that's it! I don't recall the religious part at all but the arrow shaped scar sounds exactly right. I'll have to find it to make sure though, but thank you. Thank you lots.

Valerie | 59 comments All right, I read it and it is definitely The Hidden Arrow of Meather. Thanks again Rebecca!