The Haters Club discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
I hate book clubs

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by RandomAnthony (last edited Feb 09, 2008 03:15PM) (new)

RandomAnthony I hate book clubs. I hate the idea of sitting around with people trying to make up interesting questions and comments about a book when I'd rather just say a few things then, "That was a great book...I don't want to analyze it to death." I hate pretending every book I read has a deep and meaningful subtext that if we just explore enough we will find. I hate the stupid displays in the bookstore that say "book club favorites" and I esp. hate the dumb questions that are supposed to guide book club discussions. Why can't we just talk about the book a little and call it a day? I hate the people who compete for the most comments and try to look the smartest. I hate when I feel like the damn book is homework and I have to finish it by the next date or I'll get in trouble. I hate it when some jackass picks a stupid book when it's his/her turn and I have to read it. Book clubs hurt readers by turning an interaction with a book into a (bleep) mix between a formal lunch and a coctail party. Book clubs suck.

message 2: by Meels (new)

Meels (Amelia) I have an aversion to "assigned reading", so I don't think I would ever enjoy a book club. I have never joined one mind you, because I knew that I wouldn't read the book... Does that mean that I hate book clubs?

message 3: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) I hate haters who hate book clubs.

message 4: by Paul (new)

Paul Bryant I hate book clubs too, it's like reading with cuddly middle class Stalinists, we have devoured that month's classic and absorbed all its Life Lessons, and now the next classic. So, Paul, what did you learn from The Brothers Karamazov? Could you vouchsafe us an insight or three? Oh er - well, - was that the one about a whale? Hmmm , now really Paul - think harder...

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.