Boxall's 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die discussion

Archives > grade 11 - university prep

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Juney (new)

Juney | 3 comments Hey everyone! I love reading and always have a book in my hand, this is just a general inquiry : what is usually the course content or reading for highschool Grade 11 Uni. and/or academic course? Does anyone know off hand?

message 2: by Carly (new)

Carly (csweder) Juney,

What specifically are you looking for? Typical 11th grade reading? For SURE you will probably read The Scarlet Letter by Hawthorne. If I remember from my class, also The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Twain. Those are the big ones I remember,but is this the kind of list you are looking for?

message 3: by Chel (new)

Chel | 380 comments The College Board does the SAT for college and they also recommend 101 books for college prep. Here's the list (from a cum laude graduate).
www.listsofbests.com/list/18668

message 4: by Dan (new)

Dan (theancientreader) Hi Juney,

It's been a long time since I was in the 11th grade but the books I remember from that time are Great Expectations, Romeo and Juliet, The Odyssey, and Huckleberry Finn. Looking at your bookshelves, I would say that you are far ahead of the majority of high school juniors in your reading ability as well as the quality of your taste in literature. If you're looking to expand your reading experience, Goodreads is the place to do it. Many of the groups here, including this one, have numerous members who will have reading preferences similar to yours and who will be happy to share recommendations and opinions with you. Of course, they'll want to hear your recommendations and opinions as well. Enjoy your reading and your time here.

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) Hey Juney - My son just finished his Freshman year in college and below are some of the books he read as an 11th grader (the ones I can remember) Huckleberry Finn, The Pit and the Pendulum by Edgar Allen Poe, Beouwolf, The Old Man and the Sea, Our Town, The Great Gatsby, and Of Mice and Men. I think there were a few others, but I don't quite remember. I believe they also read Night by Ellie Wiesel.

message 6: by Gerald (new)

Gerald Camp (gerryc) | 75 comments Hi Juney,
When I was a high school English teacher the 11th grade was pretty much devoted to American Literature. We read "Huckleberry Finn" "Red Badge of Courage" works by Emerson and Thoreau, short stories by a whole range of American authors, poetry by Dickinson, Whitman, Frost, etc.

What are you reading?
GerryC

message 7: by Emily (new)

Emily | 2 comments 11th grade was American Lit for me as well. We read a ton of short stories out of the Norton Anthology of American Literature (Poe's short stories, Emily Dickenson's poetry, Flannery O'Connor, Sarah Orne Jewett), but also read Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston and The Awakening by Kate Chopin. I'm sure there were others, but I can't remember at the moment.

message 8: by Juney (new)

Juney | 3 comments Thanks for all the reviews and suggestions everyone. Most of the books mentioned were ones I suspected were books often covered in such a course. I think too a lot of it has much to do with Teacher's preferences also. We all have our favourites. It is helpful hearing everyone's advice on the topic.

message 9: by Slavi (new)

Slavi (slavster) | 1 comments I see you live in Toronto. I finished gr 11 in Windsor in 2003 and the books my english class focused on were Dracula and Frankenstein. Little attention was a paid to a couple of Shakespearian plays. Gr 12 focused more on Shakespeare and tying his work to the current film/literature. My teacher loved Margaret Atwood and we spent some time on Oryx and Crake, which was published in 2003, and on Handmaid's Tale. Cat's eye and the Blind Assassin were briefly mentioned, but we didn't go over them. Good luck, gr 12 Canadian Literature was the lowest mark I have ever gotten in high school, gr 11 was the second lowest.