Movies We've Just Watched discussion

Horror > Sam Raimi: Drag Me to Hell

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ceci (new)

Ceci (cecialbiceleste) | 529 comments I saw Sam Raimi's Drag Me to Hell tonight, and I was truly entertained! Raimi's back full force and he's clearly enjoying it. This is a wonderfully delightful, funny, gross, and incredibly witty movie that hits you like a speeding train. There's so much humor, intellect and just such great scares in it that you cannot help but love it.

Alison Lohman plays Christine Brown, a bank loans manager who refuses to grant a loan to an old gypsy woman who revenges that by cursing her. Christine is from there on scared and tortured by the goat demon Lamia... who will drag her to hell on the third day.

Lohman is simply astounding. The other characters are interesting, too, but Lohman does really nail it... (to the coffin) and Raimi is in top form with wonderful camera rides and amazing visuals. This movie looks old-fashioned and cheap, in a really GOOD way. A darkly comical, amazing spooky ride.

The only thing I disliked was the thing with the poor kitty... but then again, this is a morality tale, too.

message 2: by Cesare (new)

Cesare (spiritscar) | 72 comments Drag Me To Hell is a lot if fun! Especially if you see it the way I saw it, with a primarily black audience. It had been a long time since I had that kind of movie going experience. At one point at a scary part in the movie, this guy in the audience yelled out "Oh Fuck!" and ran out the theater.

The movie has a very Grindhouse kind of feel to it, more deftly handled than either Tarantino or Rodriguez could ever pull off.

You wouldn't think a PG 13 horror movie would achieve the scares it does. This puts exploitive garbage like the Hostel movies to shame. There is actually an artistic vision here, a unique voice in the landscape of cinema taking you on this ride.

I love animals by the way, but the part with the cat was funny.
Perfect comedic timing.

message 3: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 10782 comments i liked this one a lot but some of my friends over at fear fantastic didn't like it....they thought of it more as evil dead lite.

i kind of agree, it's a very different film than the evil dead films, but it was fun and i don't know, i just really enjoyed watching it. it had some good scares and lots of nasty stuff flying about.

message 4: by Ceci (new)

Ceci (cecialbiceleste) | 529 comments Cesar, I agree it was funny, the part with the kitty, but as an owner of three... well, still didn't like it. A cute puppy would have been better. ;)

message 5: by Jim (new)

Jim (jim_) **************spoiler**************

This thread is new to me, having just seen the film. For me the camp factor was part of the fun. Not so different theme from say "Thinner" and this was entertaining and enjoyable.

In theory you like and relate to Lohman's character kind of sucks you in and you hope that with here psyhic team that she can beat the curse.