Pride & Prejudice 2005 is a disgrace to Jane Austen! discussion

Mrs. Bennet

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sam (new)

Sam | 19 comments Well, she wasn't exactly horrible in the '05 version, but I just found her annoying. I like the '95 version, because she's funny as well as annoying. I just like the mixture. The one in the book...lol. Oh, my, she makes me laugh everytime I read it. :D

message 2: by Victoria (new)

Victoria I agree with Sam 100% !

message 3: by Amy (new)

Amy (amy_lofgreen) I actually like her. There was a sweetness between Mrs. and Mr. Bennett that added something to the movie--but let's not get distracted--it still is not a good movie.

message 4: by Amy (new)

Amy (amy_lofgreen) I agree that the -95 version is probably more accurate, but I have always struggled with how Jane and Eliza turned out so well without any love in the home. (Is it healthy to spend so much time pondering fictitious characters?) I still thought she seemed ridiculous, and Mr. Bennett still seemed embarrassed, but at the end of the day there was a little room for love. It made me think I need to re-read the book and see if I have been tainted by the movie versions. Perhaps there is room for this reading.

message 5: by Sam (new)

Sam | 19 comments I don't think they grew up without any love in the home! I'm sure their mother doted on them at least a bit when they were the only two...and Mr. Bennet obviously loves Lizzie and Jane...so, there as love....

message 6: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (Sarahhelen) | 3 comments I think that you have to suppose that Jane and Elizabeth have spent a large part of their youth with the Gardeners. You have to remember that Mrs B would have had 5 small children, and who better to farm the elder ones out to than their aunt and uncle.

Also, I hated Alison Steadman as Mrs B. She totally overplayed her performance and I remember many discussions between my friend and I, back in 1995, trying to rationalise it. We figured the director must have had too much awe for her as an actress, and had failed to reign her in.