Chicks On Lit discussion

Other Hot Book Discussions > Favorite series

Comments Showing 1-50 of 94 (94 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 369 comments Any of you have any favorite book series that you loved?

message 2: by Lori (new)

Lori Walker I know it's YA Lit, but I really like the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants series. They were quick reads (I think I finished all four in four days) and I saw parts of myself in each of the characters although I identified with Lena (Alexis Bledel's character) more than any.

message 3: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarahsaysread) The Outlander Series is my numero uno favorite. I also enjoy Harry Potter (of course), and the Inheritance (Eragon) Series. I think that The Kingkiller Chronicles is going to be a favorite, even though only the first one is out.

Last night I bought "The Wizard of Earthsea" by Ursula Le Guin, apparently the first of the Earthsea Cycle. I'm excited to try that soon.

message 4: by Nancy (new)

Nancy | 1278 comments Love the "Ladies No. 1 Detective" series - charming stories. Sometimes they read like entertaining fluff, but there are some real truths about human nature. The HBO series based on it this year was equally charming.

message 5: by Dolly (new)

Dolly (dollya) When I want a good light read, one series I like is the Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich. It always makes me laugh and lightens the mood.

message 6: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarahsaysread) teri wrote: "I really do want to read that Outlander series. Have to start that..."

Be prepared to spend a lot of time on it. Each book is roughly 1000 pages, it takes me 2 - 3 weeks to finish one because I don't have a lot of time during the day to read. With book 7 coming out, it'll take me about 3 or 4 months to get through the whole series again!

message 7: by Katie (new)

Katie (katieisallbooked) | 319 comments Dolly wrote: "When I want a good light read, one series I like is the Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich. It always makes me laugh and lightens the mood."

This is one of my favorites, too.

My favorite of all time is probably Little House on the Prairie.

I also love the Shopaholic series by Sophie Kinsella and Sue Grafton's Kinsey Millhone series.

Shelby *trains flying monkeys* I loved the Kinsey Millhone books! and Stephanie Plum always makes me laugh.
A guilty pleasure one for me are the Anita Blake vampire ones. I haven't read them all but every once in a while I like one.
Oh and Jeffery Deaver's Lincoln Rhyme ones and John Sandford's Prey books are some of the best to me.

message 9: by Rosemary (new)

Rosemary | 479 comments When I was young (when dinosaurs walked) I discovered the Betsy, Tacy, Tib series. I own them now and re-read them often. I gave Betsy and the Great World to my daughter before she left for Europe and she brought it with her. Now, if I had to chose a series, I'd have to chose two authors, Earline Fowler and Janet Evanovich. Oh, and since I was born and raised in Santa Barbara, CA, I like Sue Grafton's series, too. I met her once, she's a hoot!

message 10: by Rachelle (new)

Rachelle The Outlander series is my favorite and I keep going back to James Lee Burke's Dave Robicheaux novels too.

message 11: by Brandie (new)

Brandie (brandiemichelle) hmmm...what's the Outlander series? I gotta check that out. Wait...1000 pages?? holy crap. Everyone knows what I'm gonna say...Twilight my favorite series. But I have loved the Queen of Babble series, enjoyed the Shopaholic series, and started the Harry Potter series...but only made it to book 4, so far. I hope to read them all eventually....but they are so long.

message 12: by Sheila , Supporting Chick (new)

Sheila  | 3485 comments Mod
The Outlander series sounds interesting, but also long!
Series I have read include the Harry Potter series, the Twilight series, the long Left Behind series, and James Rollins Sigma Force thrillers series.

message 13: by Jess (new)

Jess My favorite series is Harry Potter. But a second one, a big guilty pleasure of mine, is the Troubleshooter series by Suzanne Brockmann.

message 14: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarahsaysread) Oh the length of Outlander is a good thing, trust me. Once you start reading them, you just can't get enough!

message 15: by Mandy Sue (new)

Mandy Sue (mettakaruna) | 811 comments I loved the Shopaholic Series. I haven't read many others. I do have the first 4 Harry Potter books but I haven't read them yet. I also want to try Twilight to see what all the talk is about.

message 16: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jess0702) | 24 comments Agreed about Shopaholic, and I recommend both the other ones you mentioned, Mandy.

I also love Pratchett's Discworld novels, and I will go back time and time again to Anne of Green Gables.

message 17: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (mblisa) Ive been enjoying books by Joanne Fluke
shes a cozy mystery author...( kind of off subject of chick lit ) but they are enjoyable. There are about 14 of her books in print. The ones that I have read so far..the whole book is written in such a way..that everything happens within a few days time.
:)

message 18: by Renee (new)

Renee (elenarenee) | 275 comments I am a huge Stephanie Plum fan

message 19: by Holli (new)

Holli I loved the Betsy, Tacy, and Tib books!!! Those were my faves too when I was younger. :)

message 20: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 49 comments I have heard so much about the outlander series and am dying to start...just have not been able to get to it...the length does scare me! Is it a romance series?

message 21: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarahsaysread) Andrea wrote: "I have heard so much about the outlander series and am dying to start...just have not been able to get to it...the length does scare me! Is it a romance series? "

Kind of...Outlander doesn't really belong in any genre, except just fiction. It can technically go in sci-fi, historial, romance, etc. It has a little bit of everything :-) But the basis of the story is the love between 2 people.

message 22: by Sheila , Supporting Chick (new)

Sheila  | 3485 comments Mod
Since everyone keeps talking about the Outlander series, I went ahead and ordered book 1 from Paperback Swap. Oh my book shelves are getting so overloaded with "to read" books!

message 23: by Mandy Sue (new)

Mandy Sue (mettakaruna) | 811 comments I'm going to have to look up this Outlander series too. I love this group!

message 24: by Lois (new)

Lois | 71 comments I just really like series in general, probably because after the first one I know what I'm getting (like chain restaurants?). Favorites are the Brother Cadfael series by Ellis Peters and the Dorothy Sayers books. More recently, the Benjamin January series by Barbara Hambly, the Maisie Dobbs series by Jacqueline Winspear, the Preacher's Daughter series by Beverly Lewis, a couple of the Laurie King series (both the Mary Russell/Sherlock Holmes series and the Kate Martinelli series). And the Deborah Knott mysteries by Margaret Maron. I agree that the "Ladies No. 1 Detective" series is charming, and I enjoy the Kinsey Millhone books as well. Oh yes, a special favorite is the series by Eliot Pattison set in Tibet and featuring Shan Tao Yun (or just Shan).
The main problem with series is that new books don't come out often enough!

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

The Mitford series by Jan Karon. Absolutely loved it.

message 26: by Nancy (new)

Nancy | 1278 comments Jessica, I loved the Mitford series. They are the sweetest books. I read them at a difficult time and needed a feel-good pick-me-up. Perfect!

message 27: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarahsaysread) What is the Mitford Series about?

message 28: by Maria (new)

Maria Lois, you're another Dorothy Sayers person! Are Peter and Harriet (and Bunter) just not the greatest?

message 29: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cyndil62) | 1774 comments teri wrote: "I really do want to read that Outlander series. Have to start that..."

I feel the same way, but I'm just afraid I won't like them! I know, I know it seems everyone loves them! I think it is the whole time travel thing; I tried to read The Time Traveler's Wife and couldn't get into it at all. The Outlander series isn't like that is it?

message 30: by Katie (new)

Katie (katieisallbooked) | 319 comments Jessica wrote: "The Mitford series by Jan Karon. Absolutely loved it."

My mom is a huge fan of this series and always encourages me to read it. I have the first few on my TBR shelf so I have no excuse not to. LOL

message 31: by Lori (new)

Lori Walker I think I own the first Mitford book, but have never read it...

message 32: by Sonja (new)

Sonja (crvena_sonja) | 305 comments Sarah - The Earthsea books are FABULOUS! Le Guin is such an incredible writer!

Jessica - I totally agree with you about the Discworld series as well. For now my favorites are the witches books, especially Witches Abroad and Carpe Jugulum, and then The Truth. Which ones do you like?

Melissa - The Joanne Fluke books are a total guilty pleasure of mine. I love Hannah and her interactions with the others are so funny! I haven't tried any of the recipes in the books though, do you know if they work?

message 33: by Lois (new)

Lois | 71 comments Maria wrote: "Lois, you're another Dorothy Sayers person! Are Peter and Harriet (and Bunter) just not the greatest?"

They are. My only problem is that I've read them too many times. Of course, Gaudy Night and Busman's Honeymoon are my favorites because of the romance, but they're all well written, and I really enjoyed the atmosphere (of the fens and life in an advertising agency respectively) in The Nine Tailors and Murder Must Advertise.

message 34: by Lois (last edited Jun 15, 2009 07:01AM) (new)

Lois | 71 comments Sarah wrote: "What is the Mitford Series about? "

They follow the life of a small town seen through the eyes of Father Tim, a rector of kind of church. They are really feel-good books that are easy to read and enjoy. The first one in the series is At Home in Mitford. It has a love interest, a large unruly dog (as the church secretary said "That wasn't a dog,... that was a Buick!"), a small boy in need of good parenting, lots of sympathetic characters. I hope you give it a try.

message 35: by Sarah (last edited Jun 15, 2009 09:58AM) (new)

Sarah (sarahsaysread) Lois wrote: "Sarah wrote: "What is the Mitford Series about? "

They follow the life of a small town seen through the eyes of Father Tim, a rector of kind of church. They are really feel-good books that are e..."

I'll keep an eye out for the first one at some used book stores then. I feel like a see the books all the time, but I never picked one up.

Sonja - I hope it's good. I think they even mentioned Le Guin in the movie The Jane Austen Book Club. I think I might start the first one after I finish the book I just started.

message 36: by Maria (new)

Maria Lois wrote: "Maria wrote: "Lois, you're another Dorothy Sayers person! Are Peter and Harriet (and Bunter) just not the greatest?"

They are. My only problem is that I've read them too many times. Of course, ..."

I haven't read the Busman one; I might as well since I'm on a Sayers/Barbara Pym roll.

message 37: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 49 comments Went to B&N today and bought the 1st in the Outlander Series. Can't wait to start it! Anyone else currently reading it?

message 38: by Corinna (new)

Corinna (vegasnative) | 70 comments Cindy wrote: "teri wrote: "I really do want to read that Outlander series. Have to start that..."

I feel the same way, but I'm just afraid I won't like them! I know, I know it seems everyone loves them! I ..."

My dad told me to read Outlander about 8-9 years ago. I told him "no" because I didn't think I would like it. I was not at all interested in the time travel thing either, he kept telling me to read it, finally I did, and I LOVED it. It's soooooo good.

My favorite series are Outlander & Harry Potter. I've read books 1-4 from Outlander twice, currently on book 5, I've got to finish book 6 before the new one comes out.

message 39: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cyndil62) | 1774 comments Ahh Corinna! I may just have to give it a try! I see the series everytime I go to my favorite independent bookstore; pick Outlander up and wind up putting it back!

Shelby *trains flying monkeys* I read the first one Outlander years ago and remember loving it. My question is are the following books as good as the first one?

message 41: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm addicted to Harry Potter...I just love those books so much! So many of you are talking about the Outlander series--I guess I'll have to look into that.

message 42: by Lori (new)

Lori Walker I need to find my copy of the first Mitford book. It sounds like it might be like Peyton Place, but not as racy...Hey neat, it was right across the computer room from me.

message 43: by Monica (new)

Monica (imelda85) Andrea wrote: "Went to B&N today and bought the 1st in the Outlander Series. Can't wait to start it! Anyone else currently reading it?"

Hi Andrea! I just picked up the 1st Outlander at B&N, too! I'm enjoying it so far! All the girls on here have recommended it. We can have our own discussions!

message 44: by Peanut (new)

Peanut | 149 comments I'm one of the few that did not like Outlander. It came so highly recommended by so many that I figured I had to love it, too. I read it and while I did finish it, it wasn't nearly as great as everyone said it was. Maybe my expecations were so high.

I wasn't going to waste my money buying the others but then I found them at a thrift store (book 2, 3 and 4 I believe) so I'll give them another try. If on book 2, I still don't like it, I'll ditch all other copies.

message 45: by Barbara H (new)

Barbara H (barbhh) Maria wrote: "Lois wrote: "Maria wrote: "Lois, you're another Dorothy Sayers person! Are Peter and Harriet (and Bunter) just not the greatest?"

They are. My only problem is that I've read them too many time..."

I've enjoyed reading the commentary on D. Sayers. It's time for me to reread some of these books. I recently watched DVD's of a BBC series of her books. It was quite good.
Everybody needs a Bunter!

message 46: by LinBee (new)

LinBee Terry Pratchett's Discworld series, Lemony Snicket's Series of Unfortunate Events, and Neil Gaiman's Sandman series.

message 47: by Maria (new)

Maria Barbara wrote: "Maria wrote: "Lois wrote: "Maria wrote: "Lois, you're another Dorothy Sayers person! Are Peter and Harriet (and Bunter) just not the greatest?"

They are. My only problem is that I've read them..."

Hi, Barbara!

message 48: by Barbara H (new)

Barbara H (barbhh) Maria wrote: "Barbara wrote: "Maria wrote: "Lois wrote: "Maria wrote: "Lois, you're another Dorothy Sayers person! Are Peter and Harriet (and Bunter) just not the greatest?"

They are. My only problem is tha..."

Hi Maria!! Here's to our man, Bunter!

message 49: by Andrea (last edited Jun 16, 2009 05:26PM) (new)

Andrea | 49 comments
Hi Monica, that sounds great I can't wait to start reading this book.

message 50: by Nadia (new)

Nadia A (bagambo) I love the Shopaholic series and I love the No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency series. Such fun reads!!!

« previous 1