The Otherworld of Kelley Armstrong discussion

Off topic > Other similar authors : Rachel Vincent

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (last edited Jun 11, 2009 05:36PM) (new)

The Shifter series is one of my favourite series with lots of action. The first book is Stray that tells the story from Faythe Sanders point of view.

"I look like an all-American grad student. But I am a werecat, a shape-shifter, and I live in two worlds.

Despite reservations from my family and my Pride, I escaped the pressure to continue my species and carved out a normal life for myself. Until the night a Stray attacked.

This brush with danger was all my Pride needed to summon me back... for my own protection. Yeah, right. But I'm no meek kitty. I'll take on whatever and whoever--I have to in order to find my friends. Watch out, Strays--'cause I got claws, and I'm not afraid to use them..."

message 2: by DarkHeart "Vehngeance" (last edited Jun 11, 2009 10:50PM) (new)

DarkHeart "Vehngeance" (darkheart) | 83 comments Mod
Love this series. Faythe reminds me a lot of Elena - two young women unhappy with their lot in life, both maturing over the course of their stories. And Marc can hold his own against Clay in general hotness. ;)

I can't wait for Prey!

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Yeah I cant wait for Pride bk4 to come out! Only a few weeks left.

And i think your absolutly right DarkHeart, the character in The Shifters series is very similar to the Pack.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

WOW!..Prey was amazing. better than the 3rd book but not quite as good as the first 2.

I Love jace! My speculation is that Jace may be the one who ends up marrying faythe and becoming Alpha because Rachel Vincent made alot of references of Jace being Alpha-like in Prey. Especially since the accident...(dnt want to give anything away) Jace is more serious now and is determined to get what he wants.
After reading Prey, I think its a close call between Marc and Jace, but I'm rooting for Faythe to pick Jace. With the right training he will make a good Alpha

message 5: by DarkHeart "Vehngeance" (last edited Jul 05, 2009 10:19AM) (new)

*** SPOILERS for Prey ***

I actually think this is my favorite of the lot so far. Cried like a little girl through so much of it though. Ugh... this and Mead's Georgina books have become two of my favorite series but they are both so emotionally draining!

Okay, I love Jace, I really do. I won't be happy with him with Faythe though. Like Vic eplained to Faythe in - book 2, was it? - Marc has nothing other than the Pride. As a Stray, they are the only family he has ever known. I can't imagine him being left to roam the free territory or to live in misery in the Pride having to see her with Jace every day. I am working on a theory that once they take Malone down, Jace will go and assume the role of alpha of that territory, which he belongs to through virtue of unwanted family ties.

I do think Faythe is very confused. Marc is the only real relationship she's ever known, so it's not surprising that she's curious about Jace, and I do think she truly cares for him and feels something for him, but in the end I think Marc is the right guy for her. I cringe at the thought of Marc finding out what happened though. =/ And regardless, neither of the guys will become alpha of the Sander's Pride - that's the role Faythe is being groomed for.

message 6: by Lucille (new)

Lucille (lucillexxelias) | 36 comments I'm in the middle of reading Stray. Right now, I'm really feeling the similarities between this and Bitten. She went out on her own to seek her independence and escape an overbearing lover. She has the perfectly nice- but normal- boyfriend that she quickly forgets once she has been summoned home against her will by her alpha. There is a rogue on the loose, which is the reason for her being called home. Once home, she looses herself in the familiarity. The boyfriend keeps making moves, and I'm kind of feeling like Jace is a Nick sort of character so far: overtly sexual, but has never been a true threat to Marc/Clay.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Lucille wrote: "The boyfriend keeps making moves, and I'm kind of feeling like Jace is a Nick sort of character so far: overtly sexual, but has never been a true threat to Marc/Clay."

well you never know, things can change....

Lucille, I think the similarities between the two series are at their strongest with Stray. The series really starts to develop it's own path with the next book. I hope you're enjoying it!

message 9: by Lucille (new)

Lucille (lucillexxelias) | 36 comments it was pretty good. i finished last night, but the second half kind of got a little too much for me. like, the hundred-odd pages talking about rape and fighting for her life just kind of felt a little more real than i like my fiction. I just couldn't get this image of this neighbour , Abby with curly red hair, and she was the sweetest little thing, out of my head, because when they first mentioned Abby near the beginning, i imagined her like the neighbour, and then when i read all of that stuff, it made me feel a little bit sick.

message 10: by ♥Jenny♥ (new)

♥Jenny♥ I really want to read stray, but my library doesn't have it. I guess I'll just have to wait.

message 11: by Lucille (new)

Lucille (lucillexxelias) | 36 comments i just finished Pride. i have to say, the series is getting a lot better. i think that the writing style is improving, and the characters are feeling a lot more real/ Faythe isn't annoying me as much as she did in the first book/ the books don't remind me of Kelley Armstrong anymore.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

I agree Lucille, that at first it was a tiny bit similar to the Otherworld series but now with things heating up between the Prides it gets even more better.
Only 1 month till Alpha and then the end of the series :( It seems as though all of my favourite series are ending what with the shifters ending soon, Rachel Cains' Weather Warden series finished, and The Hunger Games trilogy. Dont know what i'll do now, hopefully we get loads of new good authors which I know there are some already.

message 13: by valee (new)

valee I have read all the books in this series and I LOVE it! This series is SO good! Definitely worth reading if you enjoy the Women of the otherworld series, specially Clay, Elena and their pack.

They have some similarities but they are very different as the shifters series only has shifters as supernatural species.

message 14: by valee (new)

valee Oh, and this series only gets better after book 3. The first 2 books were very slow for me, but after book 3 it became one of my top fav series.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Stray (other topics)
Prey (other topics)