My Heart is on the Ground: the Diary of Nannie Little Rose, a Sioux Girl, Carlisle Indian School, Pennsylvania, 1880 (Dear America) My Heart is on the Ground discussion

Oyate review of this book

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Felicity (last edited Feb 09, 2008 12:36PM) (new)

Felicity Oyate is a Native American organization that reviews books, especially children's books, with an eye to accuracy and respect in depictions of Native people and cultures. Here is their extensive, multi-author review.

Another book that Debbie Reese, a former school teacher and professor of American Indian Studies recommends people read and teachers teach from in the place of this book is My Name is Seepeetza.

message 2: by Astraea (last edited Apr 03, 2013 03:01AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Astraea That link returns a 404.

Here is the full review at Debbie Reese's website.

This is not just the excerpt that people are quoting in their goodreads reviews; this is the whole thing.

For more details, Oyate's review of Indian School: Teaching the White Man's Way, supposedly a nonfiction account of Carlisle, is helpful.

I would be remiss if I didn't include Oyate's replacement for their Books to Avoid index: How to Tell The Difference.

Jay

Cecilia Dupre Could we talk more about the book?

Cecilia Dupre It has Nannie Little Rose! :)