Rosegarden Book Club discussion

Any good reads?

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cathy (new)

Cathy | 3 comments Hey, Libby, there are two of us now! I live in St Leo's. What'cha readin'?

message 2: by Kat (new)

Kat Kiddles (katkiddles) | 7 comments Hi everyone (all three of you:P)!

I'm so glad I found a San Jose book group. Have you ever gotten together or is this strictly for online discussions?

All the best,
Kat

message 3: by Cathy (new)

Cathy | 3 comments Hey, Kat, I've never heard back from Libby, who I think founded the group. We've never met or discussed online any books. We can always give it a try...I know some folks who might be interested (but don't live in or around the Rose Garden (I'm in St Leo's).

Cathy

message 4: by Kat (new)

Kat Kiddles (katkiddles) | 7 comments Yeah, let's start building up a local community:)
Do you want to invite the people you think might be interested to join this group? We can talk about what we're reading now and start from there.

Speaking of which, I'm sort of reading 3 books at the moment, while reading none at the same time (if you know what I mean!). Two of them are geared toward the writer:

Writing Begins with the Breath by Laraine Herring
and
The Voice of the Muse by Mark David Gerson

and these are taking quite a bit of time to get through because of all the writing exercises in them that I do a wonderful job of avoiding!

The other one (still to be opened:P) is Slow Love: How I Lost My Job, Put on My Pajamas & Found Happiness by Dominique Browning.

How about you?

message 5: by Mark (new)

Mark (markdavidgerson) | 1 comments @Kat - so glad you're finding The Voice of the Muse: Answering the Call to Write helpful!

message 6: by Kat (new)

Kat Kiddles (katkiddles) | 7 comments Mark - wow! So wonderful to hear from an author!!

I have to be honest - I'm finding the book challenging on a spiritual level. I think it speaks so true to the heart of the writing journey that I'm finding it a touch painful to listen. But I'll get there...I'll get there...:) Thank you for your work.

message 7: by Elyse (new)

Elyse  Walters (httpswwwairbnbcomrooms13491122) Every book by Nicole Krauss (all 3 of them), are WONDERFUL!!!!

elyse

message 8: by Cathy (new)

Cathy | 3 comments I guess the hardest part to these groups is decided on a book that everyone would get something out of reading. I tend to read for enjoyment...but it can be anything from "fine" literature to thrillers and mysteries. How about everyone else? Is there anything we'd like to try?

message 9: by Kat (new)

Kat Kiddles (katkiddles) | 7 comments I don't know if we actually have to choose a common book to read. We could always just get together and talk about how we're finding the books we're reading at the moment. And if anyone is inspired to write a review, I manage a review website!

message 10: by Elyse (new)

Elyse  Walters (httpswwwairbnbcomrooms13491122) I'm still here: (new to this group). I live in Willow Glen.
I just finished the book: "36 Arguments For the Existence of God" by Rebecca Goldstein".

Rebecca Goldstein will be speaking at the Jewish Community Center in Los Gatos, Feb. 13th at 7pm.
Its 'free' open to everyone!

message 11: by Kat (new)

Kat Kiddles (katkiddles) | 7 comments Thanks Elyse! Seems like a timely title, especially at the end of the year when so many are taking the time to 'reevaluate'. Would you, by any chance, be willing to write a review of your experience reading the book?

message 12: by Elyse (new)

Elyse  Walters (httpswwwairbnbcomrooms13491122) Hi Kat, If you asked me to write a review of another book ---say "The End of The World" by David Grossman....(which I also just read recently), I'd write a wonderful POSITIVE review. (or I could name a dozen other books to give POSITIVE reviews----

but....

I wanted to like Rebecca Goldsteins' new novel, "36 Arguments For the Existence of God" ---(having read other fiction by her which I enjoyed)---but I felt this book was somewhat a mess and pretentious.

Take a look at the review I wrote about this book on 'Goodreads" under books I have read. (use that if you want for anything).

I'm just running out to a spin class right now---and have a busy last week of this year. I'm working part time at a new job in downtown Willow Glen at a place called "The Dailey Method" (just at the front desk)....plus I have a small home business which is busy this week. (a pool-spa business).

I'm happy to have a book group over my house sometime--to soak...(enjoy our warm-water saline garden pool and sauna). Just let me know!

Nice meeting everyone!

elyse Fitlizzy@comcast.net

message 13: by Kat (new)

Kat Kiddles (katkiddles) | 7 comments Thanks Elyse - yes, I see what you mean from your GoodReads review. When you started realizing that it wasn't a book for you, what made you choose to keep reading it? I always find that curious.

You're very welcome to write a review - positive or negative - at http://www.uncustomarybookreview.com/.... The review is a bit different from the traditional book reviews out there. Have a look and see what you think :)

A book group meet up sounds fun! I'm in Florida until the New Year, but would love to get together with others. Your small business sounds interesting Elyse - how have things been developing with the economy?

message 14: by Elyse (new)

Elyse  Walters (httpswwwairbnbcomrooms13491122) Hi Kat, Is that your website? Congrats to you if it is! I can't imagine doing anything like that.
The only reason I don't want to connect with it right now---(or write a review on it)---is becaus I prefer to limit my computer time. Goodreads is enough for me. (along with other things in life)

I kept reading "36 Arguments..." for several reasons:
1) I almost NEVER stop reading a book. (I took notes on this book, too). I figure in order to 'bash' it--(ha ha)...I need to at least be fair and finish it.
I don't 'bash' often....[I'm a book slut]...and enjoy most books I read.

2) I did not pick this book 'alone' to read. I had help. I joined the book club at Shir Hadash about 3 weeks ago-- (The Jewish Temple in Los Gatos). We've been members for about 30 years. (I'm not active much since that our daughters are adults---but years ago--I spent many days a week at that place)--plus I have a nice friendship with the Rabbi (a woman).
She and I are always talking 'books'
Anyway: she hooked me in for this year: really wanted me to join the book club. (ok, I said!)
We have our first book club gathering coming for this book Jan. 9th. (their book club only meets every 'other' month). Chosen book was "36 Arguments"...
Also: I really *did* plan to go see Rebecca Goldstein in Feb. anyway--- (so I would have bought her book then). This new book club just got things moving faster.

My business does 'great'. (not a HUGE money making deal---but successful for what it is). We've created a little peaceful spot for people to come relax here in the city and be themselves. (nothing to impress). Heck: I give discounts to people 'often' for those who need it (but the cost of my PG$E bill is not cheap). Its a 'win-win' for all! Our community gatherings are special. Always a great night. (MOST Friday nights). About 10-15 people come each week.

Watsu therapist rent my pool often during the week, also for their private one-on-one work. Private parties--small events---are being scheduled more and more these days, too. (word of mouth)

So: that is about it....

but what about you, NEW FRIEND???
Tell me a little about you? Your turn.... :)

enjoy the last week of 2010!

message 15: by Elyse (new)

Elyse  Walters (httpswwwairbnbcomrooms13491122) p.s. I also belong to another book club. I LOVE IT VERY MUCH!!!!! It is THE BEST BEST BEST!!!!

I've been in it for about 2 years. We meet once a month--Barnes and Nobles in the Pruneyard ---on a Saturday morning---9:30am ---for 2 hours max.

We read non-fiction every other month---fiction every other.

Two people run the group. Over 400 people belong to it. IT WORKS TOO!!!!

Only 20 people can attend each month---(I RSVP *FAST* because I go each month). About 8 of us really like to attend EACH month---many others are rotating. People come from S.F. and all over the Bay area...besides San Jose.

If you want to join, too---I'll give you more info. on it.

message 16: by Kat (new)

Kat Kiddles (katkiddles) | 7 comments Hi again Elyse:)

Yes, that's a website my muses were adamant I set up! Its purpose is to inspire and empower readers and writers alike. I appreciate not liking to spend too much time on the computer though, but I'm glad I shared the site with you nonetheless:)

You almost never leave a book unfinished - funny, I'm the same way. I enjoy closure, even if I don't necessarily enjoy myself the whole time it takes to achieve it. I take notes while reading too, which is some of where the idea for UBR came from. I don't bash either, but I haven't 'rated' a book 5/5 yet although I don't like numerical ratings in the first place.

So wonderful to see your passion for book clubs! I'd love more info on the book club - the one with over 400 members! It would be great to hear what people are saying about their reading experiences. Definitely, send me some more info!:))

As for me, I'm a writer with a background in online and distance education. My husband and I moved to the San Jose/Campbell area about 2 years ago - relocated from England, and before that from Canada. I'm still looking for work in education while I write my book and continue to nurture my relationship with words. I haven't had to look this hard for work before, and it gets discouraging, so exploring the writer within has been therapeutic. Perhaps I find myself in my current scenario because I'm meant to stop running from the writer 'me' - who knows! The universe works its magic, and all we can do is choose whether to accept or resist. I'm pretty good at resisting, so I'm giving acceptance a try!:P

message 17: by Elyse (new)

Elyse  Walters (httpswwwairbnbcomrooms13491122) WOW!!!!!! You are a bright cookie!!! (Bright and beautiful)!
I have a special love for YOU WRITERS!!!!! You give the world the greatest gifts of comfort (IMO). I'm VERY THANKFUL. I find many writers have a 'heart-of-gold'. I love the inner soul of people anyway--and nobody seems to express things better than a writer.
So often a writer puts words things to fit my experience--(but I would never have found those words on my own).
THANK YOU --THANK YOU -THANK YOU....(and for letting me enjoy my little pleasure). I'll try to look at your website more later--ok? (I've been feeling a little overwhelmed and just don't want more of anything...lol). I just added 3 new things to my life in the last month. (including a Kabbalah class: at our own house once a week--with homework)--

For me: I 'could' feel frustrated if not careful....but I'm OK. I just don't have many 'modern skills'. I've never touched a iPhone--or an iANYTHING. I've never even used an ATM card.
Not only do I lack computer skills......(making me the slower than others to learn things in my new little 'trade' job)---
but I write like SHIT as you can see, too. Please forgive me.

My reading PASSION didn't take off until VERY late in life.......(only about 4 years ago)....almost right after my mother died. (even though we almost never saw each other--I started to 'call' her--more than she wanted me to, the last few years before she died. I started to try and get her to talk....see if I could keep her on the phone more than 2 minutes.
Something just 'happened' after she died, (I felt it coming for a couple of years and she said she wanted to did--but she was not sick as far as I knew). I don't know 100% why---or what changed.....but not long after she died...(and I loved her even though things were never really as one would prefer), my mind felt rested---at peace.
I didn't carry as much 'worry' about her --etc. My mind started to feel more 'clear'. I was able to focus on reading --with REAL enjoyment and concentration---in ways it had never been before.

I wasn't the kid reading with a flashlight under their pillow, as you might have guessed like a few of my close girlfriends. (we had no books in my house--and my dad died when I was 4). I ran outside to play to escape being lonely(I just wanted to play with any kids who who play with me)- -I also ate candy-candy candy for my 3 meals a day. (medical problems were showing up all over the place): more on that some other day.

My mom died 4 years ago--and one day I picked up a novel (not some get-better book or spiritual book)---but a *novel*, and LOVED it. Then another...and LOVED it.
I laugh: its like good sex: when its good--you want to come back for more! lol I called one of my childhood friends after my reading binge had been taking over my life for some time---(SHE was always reading when we were kids: and STILL does)...
She was sooooooo great and supportive to me:
Know what she said: "Now I really love you"....lol and we've been friends for 45 years anyway.
These days, if I get a chance to see her (maybe 2 or 3 times a year---we always go play in book stores --after some lunch). We have a blast! Plus: we have a game of 'thrift' shopping for dollar books. I go looking of her now. She is Ms. Library Wonder girl USA. Lisi is my friend who got me on Goodreads. (Lisi Epstein)>>>you'd love her too. She is just fun!

My husband of 32 years: Paul, ...(a wonderful guy...I'm blessed), has always been supportive of anything I get interested in...
and reading for me took off.....
like Forest Gump: Forest couldn't stop running?/!...
well, I couldn't stop reading.

By the way: Just the writing you've done here: is BEAUTIFUL, Kat! Plus: I'll be first in line to buy your book!

I'll pull up the website for you on that 400 person book club ---

Its on the meetup groups: (like my website is, also)

www.meetup.com/Santa Clara Book Club (I think that will get you to the site). If not...let me know..ok?

From England? (I lived in Cambridge for about a year)---during a run-a-way time in my life). I left the country (with only $1500 in my pocket)---for 2 years. I went to Israel first---(lived on a Kibbutz). I stayed for 7 months in Israel during the Yom Kippur War--(broke out a month after I arrived)---
later I went to Greece (I planned it for a week visit)----but took a different turn, when I met a guy from England --in Greece --who asked me to travel to India with him. WAS I CRAZY?.......lol
so ---off I went...(overland). He was seeking "THE TRUTH" of life. I as just trying to stay alive.

In time ---we got back to Cambridge. His mom took care of me---(I spent 2 days in the hospital in London--right off the plane)...then another month in bed in his house.
The guy I was traveling with took off once he got me to his mom. His mother said: "I have 3 OTHER GREAT sons...why on earth did you get caught up with THIS 4th one? .... She helped me get my health back-- ...'blood poison infection' from insect bits in India. (couldn't walk for awhile, and I later had scars on my skin for over 10 years) --
Then his mom helped set me up with a job, (under the table)--until I earned enough money to come back to the United States. All this time: I talked with no family or friends back here. I was never a hippie-like many back then. I was just lost. I was lucky to come out as good as I did.! I also always had love in my heart! It went a LONG way.

so: I need to get dressed. I've been sitting here writing (this sloppy mess), in the dark, feeling as if I'm sitting talking with you! (a friend)
You sound WONDERFUL, Kat!

I wish you much success. Also, I hope you feel VERY proud of yourself!

I have a busy next few days: Our pool is being rented out like crazy --day and night---WHILE I need to be gone helping at my new little job--but my husband is home this week to fill in for me.

Oh..Right now: I am reading "Never Let Me Go" ....I already read an hour THIS morning BEFORE typing you this.....lol

I like early mornings! but gotta rush....(gone until late today)

Best to you!

come back to to our area soon--and I'll meet you for a cup of whatever it is you are drinking in your cute picture!

elyse

message 18: by Sheryl (new)

Sheryl | 3 comments I live in Campbell near St. Lucy Parish and find this group interesting and fun. A great combination and, add those who love to read. Well, does it get better than that? Sheryl

message 19: by Sheryl (new)

Sheryl | 3 comments Cathy wrote: "I guess the hardest part to these groups is decided on a book that everyone would get something out of reading. I tend to read for enjoyment...but it can be anything from "fine" literature to thril..."

message 20: by Sheryl (new)

Sheryl | 3 comments I could not agree more, Cathy. Reading for enjoyment is fun and there is no need for it to be yet another task. Everything from the classics to true crime thrillers.