The Next Best Book Club discussion

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenny (last edited Jun 11, 2009 02:46PM) (new)

Jenny Toler | 1 comments I am looking for a good book set in the 1980's for my next book club. We really want to drag out all our awesome 80's parifanelia and dust off the Aqua Net, but can't think of a single good book. I would greatly appreciate any recommendations. Thanks!

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1736 comments Written now and set in the 80s, or written in the 80s and with a contemporary setting?

message 3: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (tnbbc) | 10122 comments Mod
anything by Bret Easton Ellis
Less Than Zero
or
The Rules of Attraction

message 4: by Cait (new)

Cait Poytress (caitertot) | 604 comments I don't know if you've read any of Jen Lancaster's books, but I was told her newest book Pretty in Plaid A Life, a Witch, and a Wardrobe, or, the Wonder Years Before the Condescending, Egomanical, Self-Centered Smart Ass Phase has tons of 80's references.

message 5: by Nikki (new)

Nikki Boisture | 121 comments How I Paid for College:A Novel of Sex, Theft, Friendship and Musical Theater. (by Marc Acito)

Bright Lights, Big City. (by Jay McInerny)

Sorry, I still don't know how to make a link.

message 6: by Hayes (new)

Hayes (hayes13) Sorry, I still don't know how to make a link.

Easy... look at the comment box where you type your messages. On the left in bold it says "comment" on the right it says in greenish brown "(some html is ok)" and just to the left of that, in greenish brown "add book/author".

Click on that and a little window thingy pops up that says "add a reference" and you can choose either book or author, and if you choose book you can choose link or bookcover.

message 7: by Mel (new)

Mel (melcdn) | 90 comments The Bonfire of the Vanities is 80s through and through.

message 8: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (tnbbc) | 10122 comments Mod
Oooohh, i have that but havent read it yet!

message 9: by Kristine (new)

Kristine (foreveryearning) | 145 comments Fiona wrote: "Starter for Ten A Novel is set in the 80's UK about a young working class lad from Essex who goes to uni (Bristol) and signs up to be in University Challenge... and cocks up along th..."

I liked the movie :) lol