Janette Rallison Fan Club discussion

hey

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elle, tired...eternally. lol :P (new)

Elle (2cute4u) | 97 comments Mod
Hi! my name is elle & im group moderator!!

message 2: by Elle, tired...eternally. lol :P (new)

i just read How to Take the Ex Out of Ex-Boyfriend!

message 3: by Janette (new)

Janette | 18 comments Mod
It's so sweet of you to set up a fan club for me! I hope you liked Ex-boyfriend! It was just put on the 2009 IRA children's choice list.

message 4: by Elle, tired...eternally. lol :P (new)

cool! i loved the part where the 3 drunk guys threw a bottle through the window then started mooning people! that was hysterical!

message 5: by Janette (new)

I love to humiliate my characters--maybe because misery loves company. I've humiliated myself far too often.

message 6: by Connie (new)

Connie | 6 comments Janette you have a gift of putting just the right amount of humiliation, to where it is funny and not nerve racking. Sometimes books, movies or tv shows will push it to far. To the point where I have to skip the scene because I just can't stand to see it happen. But you are a master at finding the right amount to make me laugh.

message 7: by Janette (new)

I know just what you mean about TV. I thought I was the only one who skipped channels for a few seconds because I couldn't stand to see people humiliated but my son does it too.

message 8: by Elle, tired...eternally. lol :P (new)

sometimes, with books and movies, i feel really embarrassed for the characters, to the point where i can't even read or watch it anymore.

message 9: by Elle, tired...eternally. lol :P (new)

we need to keep writing so we don't get deleted.

message 10: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer  Howell / Late Bloomer Online  | 4 comments I am the same way! When I'm watching a TV show or reading a book and am really into a character... I actually feel myself get embarrassed FOR them! It is crazy how we can become so connected to a fictional person!

message 11: by Connie (new)

Connie | 6 comments I know Jen, did you see what I wrote on Mimi's facebook page about getting so worked up about re-reading Pretties?
It is funny because when I read Ex Boyfriend I got so upset about Jesse going against his promise and then not telling Giovanna why. Then when her brother told her she was being irrational, I got offended because that means I am irrational. I just get so emotionally tied to characters.

message 12: by Elle, tired...eternally. lol :P (new)

so do i. i even talk about them like they're real ppl!

message 13: by Janette (new)

I know a lot of authors who really do talk about their characters like they're real people. One of my writer friends was just complaining yesterday because her protagonist was being difficult.

I tend not to do much of that because I'm afraid that people will think I'm crazy (as opposed to artistic). But somehow whenever I talk to my editor we start talking that way--you know, talking about the character's needs and back ground. But that is expected because we all know that editors are crazy already.

message 14: by Elle, tired...eternally. lol :P (new)

haha! lol.

message 15: by Tina (new)

Tina | 4 comments This is funny, because my crit partner and I were talking about one of my characters last night, and I said something like, "Well, I think he feels like...", and then stopped and looked at her. We both smiled, because HE doesn't exist. And he doesn't feel anything that I don't make him feel. I think characters just take on a life of their own. Existing seperately even from their creators. They even do things that the author didn't even suspect sometimes:)

message 16: by Janette (new)

Tina wrote: "This is funny, because my crit partner and I were talking about one of my characters last night, and I said something like, "Well, I think he feels like...", and then stopped and looked at her. We ..."

So True. And I would like them all better if they actually wrote my books for me, but usually they're all goofing off and playing Frisbee golf and such. I have to drag them to the computer and do all the work.