Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Feeling Nostalgic? The archives > Music and Working

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Do you listen to music while you work? Does it help? How? What music works/doesn't work for you?

I ask because I'm on a roll on a nagging project, all paper/process based, and I'm not listening to music. I usually do.

message 2: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) If I have a lot of data entries, music actually keeps me from keyboard planting. My music tastes run wild. To give an example, I shall list the next five tracks.

1) Dogs by Damien Rice
2) One of these Days by Michelle Branch
3) Falling in Love by Aerosmith
4) Why? by Mono Band
5) Minerva Take Off from Mobile Suit Gundam Seed...but it's fuzzy so ...
6) Fuk and the Finga by Dane Cook

message 3: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Did you really just say Dane Cook was music?

:)

message 4: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) I count any comedy routine as "music" since it's on my playlist for work. But I wouldn't call him a musician. However, Demetri Martin is a musician ;)

message 5: by Dave (new)

Dave Russell Demetri Martin is funny. Another difference between the two.

message 6: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) I love Demetri's charts.

message 7: by Matthieu (new)

Matthieu | 1009 comments Pancreatic cancer > Dane Cook

Oh, did I say that out loud? Whoops!

message 8: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I was thinking rectal, myself.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I'm just about always listening to music in my office, where I'm by myself. It keeps me going. I've got an eclectic assortment of stuff on my ipod.

I just listened to "Son's Gonna Rise" by Son Volt, and "Summer Night City" by ABBA. Now, it's "Take Me Out" by Franz Ferdinand, from the last shebang exchange.
And on to "Hawaii 5-O" by the Whodads...

(makes a mental note to avoid Dane Cook, cancer guy)

message 10: by Chris (new)

Chris | 13 comments I loved Dane Cook when his career first took off about a decade ago. That was back when he was older than me. I guess I would call it the Curious Case of Dane Cook because I swear that I'm a good 10 years older than him now.

To answer the thread, I've found the best music to work and read to is the stuff that I know inside out. New music is too distracting. Or I just listen to jazz.

message 11: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I think "Son's Gonna Rise" is Citizen Cope, Jackie!

I can't stand Dane Cook's comedy.

I listen to music at the end of the day at work, but not usually during the day since I spend a lot of time on the phone with people and I need to concentrate. It's ok, since the jukebox in my head keeps me entertained (and you guys).
My end of the day mix is a combination of punk and soul, to rev me up for going to the gym or the barn instead of home. The Distillers, the Clash, Jackie Wilson, Jackson Five, early Elvis Costello, the Specials. That's the stuff that can make me stay on a treadmill, too.

message 12: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) I like some of Dane Cook's comedy routines. Others I'll skip past. Just as with some comedians, I'll listen only to parts. Too much potty and curse humor eventually has me skipping the track.

Robin Williams Live at the Met? Listen to the WHOLE thing. Have it nearly memorized!

I like jazz during baths. Unwinding.

What's a good "Wake Me Up" band/singer? And I'm not refering to Wham! ;)

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Sarah Pi wrote: "I think "Son's Gonna Rise" is Citizen Cope, Jackie!

You're right, Sarah Pi. I'm getting the shebang songs mixed up...

message 14: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments That's a good song, in either case.

message 15: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17346 comments Mod
And it was from my shebang!

*happy dance*

message 16: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 777 comments All of us at work have ipods or cd players to keep us going. It seems so quiet when we're all listening to our own thing, I wonder what would happen if everybody's music could be heard at the same time. I don't think we'd get much done.
I like oldies, 60's and 70's.
One day I caused some fun confusion by unplugging my headphones and letting everyone hear Tip Toe Through the Tulips, that for some unknown reason was on a complilation from the 60's--of good songs, I thought. It was like everyone coming up for air, saying, What is that?!? and I haven't heard that in years! Why is that on?
A lot of times I turn my music off while I'm reading complicated operative reports. It's hard enough to figure out what they did and how to code it.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.