Beatles Book Reading Club discussion

What Beatle Book Are You Currently Reading?

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by beatlegirl (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:37AM) (new)

beatlegirl | 1 comments Mod
What's that you're reading? Is it good?

message 2: by Pat (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:44AM) (new)

Pat | 1 comments Can I be a Beatles semi-celebrity? My friend Andru Reeve wrote a book called "Turn Me On, Dead Man", back in 1990. I was mentioned in the Acknowledgements.
Whee!
That is my "brush with music-history fame." Here are my other other claims-to-fame.
I met Graham Nash and got him to sign two albums (yes, REAL albums that I'd bought in the 1970s, not CDs). He was a gentleman and soooo nice to all of us dorky fans.
I've met a lot of celebs because of my job in TV, and Graham Nash is one of the most genuinely nice celebs I've ever met.
(I am NOT a bigwig in TV, just a minor player, a 'nobody' in terms of the industry. I've gotten coffee for people including Matthew Fox, Taye Diggs, Tori Amos, Lemonheads, Tito Puente, Judi Collins, Kevin Nealon, and Linda Evans.)
Ms. Evans was the sweetest celebrity I've ever had the pleasure of speaking with. Oh!! I forgot Robert Townsend, the nicest man who ever walked this earth, and Robert Goulet, runner-up for Nicest Man Ever.)
My remaining goal is to meet Paul McCartney. I cut his picture out of the newspaper in 1964, and swore then that I'd meet him someday.
It might happen, and I would drop dead from sheer happiness.

message 3: by Alicia (new)

Alicia (happylikeanoldtimemovie) | 1 comments So far I've read

Beatles: The Biography by Bob Spitz - I loved all the stories (some were hilarious), but I think he got too caught up in describing the look of their surroundings in Liverpool as far as like the weather and the sea. That struck me as weird.

Wonderful Tonight by Pattie Boyd - It was ok, but I really wish there was more about her modeling days.

What would you recommend?

message 4: by Dan (new)

Dan Radman (dradman1) | 1 comments I just read Eric Clapton's biography. He obviously has quite a bit in there about his friendship w/ George, and about Patti, but there are a few funny anecdotes about the Beatles in general.

My favorite is one about hanging out in a club in London w/ the Beatles and the Monkeys, dropping acid, and listening to a rough version of Sgt. Peppers when it was nearly completed...

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

I finished "Love Me Do!: Beatles Progress" not too long ago, it basically covers them touring from 62 - 64. The author followed them around England, Hamburg, Paris etc...

Very good book, a little short though...

message 6: by Jude (new)

Jude (jude9) | 1 comments Hi guys, I don't want to be a "spammer" but I'd be remiss not to invite you all to take a look at my new book about John Lennon. It has been out five months, and it's totally different from anything out there on The Beatles.

Entitled Shoulda Been There, it's the ONLY researched historical novel ever written on the life of John. Let me explain...

For twenty years, I collected over 300 Beatle books in my home and did extensive secondary research. Then for seven years, I flew back and forth to Liverpool (and London) to meet and interview John's family, friends, early band members, college mates.

I decided to write the book as a novel so that it was "a good read" (hmmmmm) but I footnoted each chapter, provided an encyclopedia of historical characters with short bios of each, gave the reader a Scouse (Liverpudlian) glossary, and included photos from my trips to Liverpool.

The books is NOT in bookstores. I've sold 900 from my website since December. The bookstores take 55-60 percent, and I just can't afford to do that yet. But...I plan to make that jump with my second edition this summer.

Well, I won't advertise a website. But I do think you'd love Shoulda Been There. It doesn't "tell you" about John. It lets you live his life with him.
Cheers!
Jude Kessler

message 7: by Merenwen (new)

Merenwen I just started reading John Lennon: The Life by Philip Norman last night. I'm also reading 'We're Going to See the Beatles!'.

message 8: by Judith (new)

Judith Furedi (cutepoet) | 3 comments I am reading Julia Baird's book. I just started it. I don't want to be a spammer either, but I recently co-edited and put together a most unique e-book called 'A Lennon Pastiche.' It is not just for Beatle or John Lennon lovers. It is chock for of music, videos, art, words, interactive apps and so much more by hundreds of contributors. A myriad of expressions from John Lennon fans is put in the most amazing format. It is the next generation of e-books. The publisher is Pangea. It is simply brilliant. You can check it out exclusively on the iBookstore exclusively for iPad. You will not be disappointed!

message 9: by Judith (new)

Judith Furedi (cutepoet) | 3 comments beatlegirl wrote: "What's that you're reading? Is it good?"

Ita amazing and I have not heard or seen anything like it!

message 10: by Piper (new)

Piper Templeton (pipertempleton) | 8 comments I'm reading Mark Lewisohn's "Tune In" - the first volume. He's a wonderful author/historian, and the book goes into great detail on all aspects of each Beatle's life. I've only just started it, but I can already recommend it.
Jude, your book sounds fascinating. I will check it out.

message 11: by Judith (last edited Apr 24, 2014 09:50AM) (new)

Judith Furedi (cutepoet) | 3 comments Jude,

I do have your book and its like reading a great novel!

I am sure you're not a 'spammer' -- but authors need to promote themselves and support each other. I have not publicized my new edition here, but I am proofing it now and will keep you all posted! I will try to upload the cover, in another area! I hope you'll all take a look. The cover design and the art is simply beautiful! Full color, laminate finish.

message 12: by Camille (new)

Camille Maio (camilledimaioauthor) | 7 comments I recently read "Raising a Beatles Baby" by Jere Hester. It was a fun read about a Beatles-obsessed couple, and how they introduced their daughter to the same love.

My brush with Beatles fame happened in October. I wrote a novel that fleshed out the characters in the song "Eleanor Rigby". I was able to personally hand it to Paul McCartney at his concert in San Antonio, and he started reading it on stage! It's currently repped by a great agent, and she has eleven publishers reading it. Praying for an offer so that I can bring this story to other Beatles fans!

message 13: by Piper (new)

Piper Templeton (pipertempleton) | 8 comments Best of luck to you, Camille! How awesome that you gave your book to Paul. I have a novel out inspired by the music of the Beatles.

Keep us posted on your novel -- I'd like to read it!

Cheers,
Piper

message 14: by Camille (new)

Camille Maio (camilledimaioauthor) | 7 comments Thanks, Piper. I'll let you know how it goes! Is your novel published, and something that I can order?

message 15: by Piper (new)

Piper Templeton (pipertempleton) | 8 comments Hi Camille,

Yes - I self-published "Rain Clouds and Waterfalls" on Kindle earlier this year. It is available on Amazon Kindle and Create Space.

I appreciate your interest!

Cheers,
Piper

message 16: by Camille (new)

Camille Maio (camilledimaioauthor) | 7 comments Thank you! I'll take a look. I enjoy reading how everyone interprets those. Please say a prayer that mine is picked up by one of the publishers reading it - it's a lifelong dream to publish a novel, and I'm grateful to have gotten this far with it.

message 17: by Piper (new)

Piper Templeton (pipertempleton) | 8 comments I'll definitely say a prayer that yours gets picked up by a publisher. I look forward to hearing about it.

Cheers,
Piper

message 18: by Camille (new)

Camille Maio (camilledimaioauthor) | 7 comments Hi, Piper! I bought your e-book, and think it's charming so far! I like how write about the lives of the characters with the Beatles music as a framework.

Thanks for your prayers - my agent called and said that the senior editor at a BIG publishing house wants my book - now she has to convince the acquisitions board. I should know in two weeks if they say yes!

Camille

message 19: by Piper (last edited Apr 17, 2015 01:06PM) (new)

Piper Templeton (pipertempleton) | 8 comments Thanks, Camille! I'm so glad you're enjoying "Rainclouds and Waterfalls" so far. If it's not too much to ask, I'd appreciate it greatly if you could post a review here and on Amazon when you're done. A few lines would suffice.

Congratulations on the positive movement on your book from a big publishing house. If a senior editor is interested, that sounds very, very promising. Do keep us posted!

Cheers,
Piper

message 20: by Camille (new)

Camille Maio (camilledimaioauthor) | 7 comments Hi, Piper. I got the book deal! It's going to be published by Lake Union with a release date of May 31, 2016. (Incidentally, 2016 is the 50th anniversary of the Revolver album coming out.)

I will be happy to review the book as soon as I read it. I have been buried in writing and editing (and real estate - my day job), so I haven't been reading ANYTHING right now! But, I do really want to get back to yours.

Camille

message 21: by Piper (new)

Piper Templeton (pipertempleton) | 8 comments That's awesome, Camille! I'm very happy for you. I look forward to reading yours when it comes out next May!

Cheers,

Piper

P.S. I totally understand about finding the time to write/edit much less read.

message 22: by Ivor (new)

Ivor Davis | 6 comments I DIDN'T KNOW THERE WAS A BEATLES READING CLUB. YIPPEE.
I AM THE AUTHOR OF THE NEW BOOK--'THE BEATLES AND ME ON TOUR'--I WAS THE ONLY NEWSPAPER JOURNALIST TO TRAVEL WITH THE BEATLES FROM START TO FINISH IN 1964.
(SORRY ABOUT THE CAPS) My book is first hand. A fun trip (and read) with me....and the Fab Four. I was George Harrison's ghost writer--and so my story is first hand. What I saw when the Beatles got zonked with Dylan--and I went along when they met Elvis--50 years ago this summer.

message 23: by Piper (new)

Piper Templeton (pipertempleton) | 8 comments Thanks, Ivor! I'll have to definitely check your book out. Sounds exciting!

Piper

message 24: by Camille (new)

Camille Maio (camilledimaioauthor) | 7 comments Thanks! I'll check that out!

message 25: by Ivor (new)

Ivor Davis | 6 comments I am reading "Rock and a Heart Place" by Ken Mansfield and great biographer Marshall Terrill. While it's not about the Beatles they feature prominently in this story of Mansfield US manager of the Beatles Apple Records who is a religious man and minister now,and chronicles the tales of redemption from a slew of pop world names--from Chris Hillman of the Byrds, (who found God but never went through the hell that so many rockers did) to Nedra Ross of the Ronettes and Ruth Pointer of the The Pointer Sisters. An intriguing book, but remember, in pretty well all cases their long and winding roads became stabilised via religion.

message 26: by Peter (new)

Peter (peege) | 4 comments I'm reading "Songwriting Secrets of the Beatles" by Dominic Pedler. It's massive (lots of secrets hehe), and I'm trying to listen to songs as I read it to hear what he's writing about, so it's a long road to completion. But it's fascinating if you're into music theory and songwriting.

message 27: by Ivor (new)

Ivor Davis | 6 comments Yes I agree Rock and a Heart Place is a good read.
Haven't seen "Songwriting Secrets of The Beatles." Yet.
But I bring your attention (Blatant self promotion coming up) to "The Beatles and Me On Tour" (www.ivordavisbeatles.com)which is my first hand , eyewitnessed account of my personal travels with the Beatles on their triumphant American tours. I was actually there! --ivor Davis

message 28: by Ashes (new)

Ashes (ashes9) | 2 comments I am determined to make "How The Beatles Rocked The Kremlin" the next book I read after YEARS of obsessing over the phenomenal documentary of the same name.

message 29: by Jonas (new)

Jonas Quarry | 3 comments Journey Into Beatledom is a great new take on The Beatles songs in the tradition of iconic Rock critic Richard Meltzer, which tells the band's story through their lyrics and songbook.

message 30: by Colleen (new)

Colleen (yokosmom) | 1 comments I am reading an oldie, "Brian Epstein: the Man that Made the Beatles" by Ray Coleman. The writing is a little pedestrian, but it is good to get background information on Epstein and some idea of what was going on behind the scenes. Only halfway through, as yet. I recently read "Tune In" (abbreviated version) and have found some discrepancies for certain events, but that is interesting in a way too, as it shows how many things were viewed prior to Lewisohn's exhaustive research.