Hump Day Chats with Janelle Brown discussion

dotcom lit

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ron (new)

Ron (ronhogan) | 1 comments Hey Janelle -- do you have any other favorite novels about the culture spawned by the dotcom boom that we both lived through back in the '90s? I've always been a big fan, for example, of Po Bronson's The First $20 Million Is Always the Hardest. (I even have a soft spot for the straight-to-cable movie they made from it!)

message 2: by Janelle (new)

Janelle | 12 comments Mod
You know, there's really a huge dearth of great literature written about the dotcom milieu. Obviously, Microserfs by Douglas Coupland was trying to tackle that (though its a bit more Microsoftian than dotcommian) -- and a book by Hari Kunzru called Transmission looked at the "Indian programmer in the US" world... and I know Matt Richtel wrote a book called Hooked, a murder mystery set in S.V., but I never read it. And beyond that I am coming up with a bit of a blank, other than Po Bronson.

When I was working at Salon in the late 90's and early 2000's I was always desperate to find a good dotcom/Silicon Valley novel to review -- but there really weren't any. (In fact - here's a review I did of some back in 1999 - http://archive.salon.com/21st/books/1...).

It's kind of amazing that there's such a lack of books about the dotcom world, especially considering how many of us lived through it. Though I supposed if you combed through contemporary literature you'd find a lot of modern novels in which people work at dotcoms even if it's not necessarily a critical part of the plot...