Witches, Weres, and Vamps, Oh MY! discussion

Let's Talk Books > Once Dead, Twice Shy by Kim Harrison

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shanon (new)

Shanon (boban) | 1166 comments Mod
I finished Once Dead, Twice Shy yesterday. It was a unique story (at least for me). I really enjoyed it and was wondering what everyone else thought of it.

There were some thought provoking elements to it - like dark reapers & light reapers and what they each stand for. Fate vs. Choice is an interesting war and I am definately on the side of choice. I think Madison is going to try to walk the line. It will be interesting to see her successes/failures in future books.

message 2: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (kathry) Yep, side of choice here too.

I really enjoyed this book but I remember being confused by some of the elements, such as what exactly a time keeper does and I'm having problems remembering what's going on with Madison's body.

And don't get me wrong, I loved Grace, loved the limericks, but she's just too much like Jenks.

I guess I really enjoyed the entire book except I thought the ending scene was lacking. I know it's for young adults but the whole high school bit threw me off.

I guess I'm most curious about who Ron is training to take over as the new light timekeeper. Wonder if we've met the character yet? And I'm sad that the one truly bad guy is gone. This book has too many good guys :) and needs some villians :)

message 3: by Shanon (new)

Shanon (boban) | 1166 comments Mod
I felt the same way about Grace. One of my favorite characters of all time is Jenks. Grace feels a lot like a reincarnation of him. I also noticed that Madison has colorful curses like Jenks as well.

The return to High-School and normal life seemed odd to me as well. Eventually she's going to have to explain the fact that she's not aging to her family & friends.

I think, for now, the only bad guy is Ron - but he's the timekeeper for choice so I don't even know if I would consider him a villan either. Can someone fighting for what you believe in also be a bad guy? I don't know - I guess it depends on what he's willing to do to accomplish his goals. So far he hasn't done anything wrong IMO. I wonder how his roll will play out in future books.

message 4: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) I liked the book for the most part. I don't like Harrison's Rachel Morgan books and the only character I ever liked in that series was Jenks. I'll read the next in the series, but I had a hard time keeping straight who was lying to who about what. I liked Barnabas.

message 5: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (kathry) I didn't like Barnabas at first but he grew on me. I really liked Nik...(can't remember the spelling, must have really liked her:).
And Shanon, I guess you're right about Ron being the bad guy for now. I hadn't really thought of him as such but in a way he was bad, if indifferent and meddlesome can be counted as such.

message 6: by Elvia (last edited Jul 02, 2009 11:11AM) (new)

Elvia (elvb) I finally got this book from the library and will start it as soon as I finish .Fledgling (great book so far). I am anxious to start it