Quilt, Read, Eat, Sleep.... What Else Is There? discussion

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Judy (new)

Judy Iliff (JudyI) | 301 comments Mod
I'm reading Earlene Fowler's new book "Love Mercy". While Benny, Gabe, and Dove are all in the story, they are not the main characters. So far I like it, but it was a little hard for me to get past Benny not being the main character. Hopefully I'll finish this while I'm at quilt camp/retreat this week. Since I won't have a wireless connection, and I don't think I remember how to do dial-up, I'll catch up with all of when I get back this Saturday.

message 2: by Cathy (new)

Cathy (boxershiner) | 61 comments Judy,
I just finished Love Mercy this morning. Like you I miss Benni have a prominent part. Was glad to see more canine parts. Not enough quilting references tho, ;)
Of course, Saddle Maker's Wife wasn't a Benni story either, but it was so good, I didn't miss her.

message 3: by Judy (new)

I didn't miss Benni in Saddle Maker's Wife, either, but I think it was because she wasn't mentioned at all! I still haven't finished the book. I'll get there, but I'm spending much quality time quilting. :)

message 4: by Judy (new)

I finished Love Mercy this afternoon. While I found it rather difficult to get into (I think it was my mindset, not the book), I did enjoy the book. There was only 1 mention of a quilt, and that was toward the end of the book. The ending made me think of my dad in that he, too, talked about fighting in WWII toward the end of his life when he would never talk about it during the majority of his life. Like Love, it was easier initially to make excuses for Dad's lapses than to face the reality that he did have some kind of dementia. It is a great study of 3 women facing life's difficulties and come through OK.

message 5: by Eileen133 (new)

Eileen133 | 1 comments Ok, I checked it out, but read The School of Essential Ingredients first and really liked that. Then I started Scarecrow. I have 5 books that have a 14 day check out time with no renewals. I might have to read more than just before bed.

message 6: by Judy (new)

You are going to absolutely love The School of Essential Ingredients! I think it's my favorite for the summer. :)

message 7: by Cathy (new)

Cathy (boxershiner) | 61 comments Judy wrote: "I didn't miss Benni in Saddle Maker's Wife, either, but I think it was because she wasn't mentioned at all! I still haven't finished the book. I'll get there, but I'm spending much quality time qui..."

Once I started Saddlemaker, I finished it that day. Unusual for me, but I couldn't put it down. I recall crying thru the entire 2nd half. I think I'll read it again soon

message 8: by Cathy (new)

Cathy (boxershiner) | 61 comments Judy wrote: "You are going to absolutely love The School of Essential Ingredients! I think it's my favorite for the summer. :) "

I just ordered it from the library.

message 9: by Cathy (last edited Jun 25, 2009 10:43AM) (new)

Cathy (boxershiner) | 61 comments Cathy wrote: "Judy,
I just finished Love Mercy this morning. Like you I miss Benni have a prominent part.

I think the reason I missed more Benni references, is because Love Mercy takes places so much into the future of Benni, Gabe, etc.
They are retired now, Dove seemed elderly before, she must really be old now.
I want to know everything that's happened in the meantime. It mentioned that Dove's husband is gone.
I want to read 5 or 6 Benni Harper novels to catch up. I feel so left out, like a bystander and not a close friend or family member...
No one bothered to keep me informed.

message 10: by Judy (new)

I think in the latest Benni Harper books, Dove and her "new" husband are still alive. It was kind of strange, though.

Like I said, I did enjoy the books.

message 11: by Quiltgranny (new)

Quiltgranny I'm reading Cutting for Stone and it is absolutely fabulous! I don't want it to end! It's not a light read....You can read a great review of it here:
http://www.tadias.com/2009/06/02/book...