Witches, Weres, and Vamps, Oh MY! discussion

Group Read Discussions > Vote on July's book in the Polls

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shanon (last edited Jun 15, 2009 07:39AM) (new)

Shanon (boban) | 1166 comments Mod
Gotta Love Our Men - Get this... July is National Hot Dog Month! We're going to be reading a book with a male main character July in honor of all the HOT Dog's... ur Men... in our lives.

Rules for submissions:
1. One recommendation per member
2. The book needs to still be in print & readily available.
3. Needs to fit the theme of male main character

We'll take nominations through the 18th and vote in the polls through the 23rd.

July's Nominations
1. Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman
2. Blood Blade by Marcus Pelegrimas (#1 in Skinners)
3. The Wooden Sea A Novel by Jonathan Carroll
4. Men of the Otherworld by Kelley Armstrong
5. Grave Peril by Jim Butcher (#3 in Dresden Files)
6. Odd Thomas by Dean Koontz
7. Jacob by Jacquelyn Frank (#1 in Nightwalker Series)
8. Unshapely Things by Mark Del Franco (#1 in Grey/Convergent World series)

message 2: by Shanon (new)

I spent some time debating between several books for this category. I've decided I don't read enough books that feature a male as the main character.

I've been reading Neil Gaiman lately and have LOVED his work. I haven't read Anansi Boys yet but really want to. It's about a boy, Fat Charlie, that discovers he's the son of a god and has a brother, Spider. If it's anything like Gaiman's other books it will be a great read.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Blood Blade by Marcus Pelegrimas

From Publishers Weekly
Seattle video game designer Cole Warnecki takes an extreme vacation in British Columbia and ends up hunting supernatural monsters in this campy, action-packed paranormal debut. After Cole survives an encounter with a nasty werewolflike Full Blood, he lands a job with the Midwestern Ectological Group, whose Skinners act as cops for the local supernatural population. They bring him to Chicago and pair him up with experienced Skinner Paige Strobel, who gives him sound advice like Don't gawk at a woman's ass when she's carrying a shotgun. Paige drags Cole into the front lines of MEG's war on insane vampire Misonyk, who infects people with vampiric spores and encourages them to drain victims dry, stealing their souls. Plenty of cinematic gore and wisecracks will keep readers coming back for future installments. (Feb.)
Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.

message 4: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (kathry) Second on Anasi Boys! I would LOVE to read it, been meaning to for awhile! Excellent suggestion Shanon!

message 5: by Michelle (last edited Jun 08, 2009 05:16PM) (new)

Michelle (lifeasabooknerd) Okay I hope this fits with the interests of the group. I want to nominate THE WOODEN SEA by Jonathan Carroll.

It's a little fantasy, a little sci-fi, a little Twilight-Zonish and it sounds really good. Carroll's one of those authors that's a little more obscure than some, but once people read one of his books they want to read them all. Or so I've heard. I've been wanting to read this for a long time, so I'm hoping to swing some votes my way. Haha, I love lobbying!

message 6: by Julia (new)

Julia | 119 comments I've read and loved The Anansi Boys.

I've heard great things about Jonathan Carroll.

I recommend Men of the Otherworld by Kelley Armstrong.Men of the Otherworld

message 7: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrilovescrows) | 44 comments How about Grave Peril by Jim Butcher - a nice dose of Harry Dresden

message 8: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) Terri wrote: "How about Grave Peril by Jim Butcher - a nice dose of Harry Dresden"

That's my favorite Harry Dresden!!

message 9: by Julia (new)

Julia | 119 comments Why #3 in the series? Why not Storm Front, which is #1? I *love* these and would like a reason to re-read them.

message 10: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) Julia wrote: "Why #3 in the series? Why not Storm Front, which is #1? I *love* these and would like a reason to re-read them."

If I had only read STORM FRONT I would have never picked up another Harry Dresden book. I thought it was awful! A friend convinced me a couple of years later to try another one and I'm glad I did. When I recommend this series to people I always tell them to start with FOOL MOON. I've known a lot of other people who felt the same way about STORM FRONT.

message 11: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (kathry) Though I am very eager to start Butcher's books, I think we should be very clear that Grave Peril is book 3 in the series. I would recommend starting with the beginning, even though I haven't yet read them, as I prefer to start a series at the beginning. Are there enough people out there that want to start in the middle of the series or are willing to reread book 3? Guess we'll see...

message 12: by Shanon (new)

We didn't include any rules about which installments in a series could be nominated because if we'd like to be able to read new releases for group reads if it fits with our group. So #3 in a series is okay to nominate. It will be interesting to see how many votes it gets since it's not #1 and it's not the latest release in the series either.

I've been wanting to start Butcher's series so maybe I'll catch up next month if it's chosen - there's no way I could start in the middle.

message 13: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (lifeasabooknerd) I agree with you Shanon. People can nominate whatever they want. I am OCD though, when it comes to reading something in a series and I won't be able to jump to book 3. I guess its a good thing I'm voting for my own pick! Hehe

message 14: by Rowan (new)

Rowan (rowanhastings) I nominate Odd Thomas by Dean Koontz. It has been sitting in my TBR pile for awhile now, university doesn't give me much lesiure reading time!! ;)

message 15: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) Michelle wrote: "I agree with you Shanon. People can nominate whatever they want. I am OCD though, when it comes to reading something in a series and I won't be able to jump to book 3. I guess its a good thing I..."

I used to be the same way, but the last few years have gotten out of that. Don't know why, but I'm glad. Now I can just pick up a book and read it and enjoy it for what it is without worrying if it's the first, the third or the seventh. And then go back and read a prior one if I want to or not read prior ones and enjoy what I AM reading. One less thing to obsess about!

message 16: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrilovescrows) | 44 comments Julia wrote: "Why #3 in the series? Why not Storm Front, which is #1? I *love* these and would like a reason to re-read them."

Because that is the next one I need to read. LOL

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

what about this one.Jacob Nightwalkers Series 1 by Jacquelyn Frank
its a book i have been wanting to read for a while it am kinda sure its a male lead. here is the write up about it... :)

Since time began, there have been Nightwalkers——the races of the night who live in the shadows of the moonlight. Love with humans is absolutely forbidden, and one man makes certain to uphold this ancient law: Jacob, the Enforcer.

FOR 700 YEARS, HE HAS RESISTED TEMPTATION, BUT NOT TONIGHT...

Jacob knows the excuses his people give when the madness overtakes them and they fall prey to their lust for humans. He's heard every one and still brought the trespassers to justice. Immune to forbidden desires, uncontrollable hungers, or the curse of the moon, his control is total...until the moment he sees Isabella on a shadowy New York street. Saving her life wasn't in his plans. Nor were the overwhelming feelings she arouses in him.
But the moment he holds her in his arms and feels the soft explosion of her body against his, everything changes. Their attraction is undeniable, volatile, and completely against the law. Suddenly everything Jacob has ever believed is inflamed by the heat of desire.

Bring on the night.

message 18: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) I nominate A Kiss Before the Apocalypse! Remy Chandler, the hero, is an angel who denied Heaven after the Angel wars that sent Lucifer to Hell. I really liked it. Pretty much a mystery with some supernatural characters.

message 19: by Lily (last edited Jun 11, 2009 10:41PM) (new)

Lily (lilithesque) I am reading Small Favor by Butcher so I probobly would pipe in but not reread,

I have read part of Anansi boys--I didn't finish it, I liked American Gods Better.

I just read Bloodblade last month. GREAT BOOK. Love to talk about it.

I have heard good Buzz about A Kiss Before the Apocalypse so would probobly support that one. Its in my tbr list.

message 20: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (theholyterror) | 132 comments I had a couple books picked out and I decided on nominating:

Unshapely Things by Mark Del Franco (#1 in Connor Grey/Convergent World series)

message 21: by Shanon (new)

Nominations are done - you can vote for the book of your choice in the polls!

There are a lot of books that I want to read in the list! Thanks for all the great nominations

message 22: by Lily (new)

Lily (lilithesque) What about A Kiss Before the Apocalypse (Remy Chandler, #1) by Thomas E. Sniegoski . I thought that was one of the nominations.

message 23: by Shanon (last edited Jun 19, 2009 10:17AM) (new)

AAH!!! I'm SO sorry. I'll add it right now...

EDIT: I've added A Kiss Before the Apocolypse to the polls. I'm so sorry I missed that book when I put together the list.

message 24: by Yz the Whyz (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 35 comments Just curious, when will the winning book be announced?

message 25: by Shanon (new)

We'll announce it in the morning.

We've got a tight race going on between 3 different books. We'll have to see how it plays out through the rest of the day.

message 26: by Lily (new)

Lily (lilithesque) Where is the poll?

message 27: by Shanon (new)

It closed last night with Men of the Otherworld as the winner.

All the polls will be located under the Polls link to the right of your screen.