The Reasons Why you wrote your book or books discussion

The Real Winner

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Steven, About The Author (last edited Feb 08, 2008 04:21AM) (new)

Steven | 65 comments Mod
Although, I wrote my books for personal reasons, its undoubtedly good to make some sort of financial gain from your writing as it does take an immense amount of time, effort and soul searching to write books. Especially novels!

My current books are autobiographies and apart from reliving the past in my mind when I wrote them, writing them was easy as I knew what happened. However, I have found writing a novel a lot more difficult.

Anyway, the point I'm coming to is that I've exchanged a few messages recently with other authors who are a little dismayed that the rewards for writing their books are a mere pittance. A lot of people sem to have the impression that all books make millions, which is a long way from the truth apart from the limited few exceptions.

In reality, the real winner is the publisher, unless of course, you get a lucky break, film rights or a drama series.

That's life I guess guys.

Cheers

Steve

message 2: by Ilyn (last edited Aug 10, 2008 12:51PM) (new)

Ilyn Ross (Ilyn_Ross) | 15 comments Hi Steve. Hello to all members.

I read many posts; some are touching. I wish you all: good fortune.

The primary motive and purpose of my writing is to earn much money, not only in my lifetime but even when I'm gone. I hope Reason Reigns and the other books I plan to write will live on, so my loved ones could collect royalties.

It may take years before I achieve this goal, but the most difficult task is done: Reason Reigns is in print! ["Hope springs eternal in the human breast." - Alexander Pope]

Reason Reigns depicts philosophy in a way that is easy to grasp: through a thrill-packed story, and with young characters.

I wrote it in the hope that it would give people joy and fuel to strive and achieve.

message 3: by Steven, About The Author (new)

Steven | 65 comments Mod
Hi Ilyn,
direct and to the point. That's just how I prefer to hear people's reasoning.

Good Luck with your book

Steve

message 4: by Ilyn (new)

Ilyn Ross (Ilyn_Ross) | 15 comments Thanks, Steve.

Good luck with your books.

message 5: by Steven, About The Author (last edited Aug 12, 2008 07:22AM) (new)

Steven | 65 comments Mod
Thanks Ilyn: My books are doing okay "Amongst The Marines" has been published in the UK, Australia & New Zealand and the Czech Republic.

The sequel "Always A Marine" is out in the UK, but available on websites across the globe. That sounds good, but to do well, you really do need that film I mentioned earlier.

All the very best

Steve

message 6: by Ilyn (new)

Ilyn Ross (Ilyn_Ross) | 15 comments Best wishes - here's a prayer that "Amongst The Marines" as well as "Reason Reigns" will be filmed.

Hope you would advertise your books in the Happy & Brainy group - we have a Promotions folder.

Best regards.

message 7: by Steven, About The Author (new)

Steven | 65 comments Mod
A.L.,
you're abslutely 100% right about this. I guess all it really needs is for the right person to read it and make the decision to invest in it.

I wish you look as, in life, anyhting is possible, for all of us.

Best Regards
Steve

message 8: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisabethdarling) | 2 comments Everyone likes to make money, that's pretty much a given. However, you're right. A lot of people seem to think they're going to write something and then the world will beat a path to their doorstep. When that doesn't happen they become easily disappointed and dismayed. They never realize that their initial expectation of making a million dollars was unrealistic.

I've always written stories (prose, shorts, poems and novels)....it's just what I *do*. I'd love to make serious money at it but, in the end, that would be just be a bonus no matter how much money it turned out to be. I write because 1-the Muse demands it, 2- for myself, 3-for an audience in the hopes that someone will want to read it and 4- they'll get something out of it even though it's 'just a story'.

Of course a movie of "Dream Weaver" would always be nice :) Anybody interested in producing a romantic suspenseful thriller? LOL!

Lisa

message 9: by Marc (new)

Marc (AuthorGuy) | 2 comments I write because I must. I didn't even think about getting my first book published until long after it was finished. The story grew on me, and the first book is only a part of the whole story, so I keep on writing. And there are other things that come up, stories and contests and requests and ideas I get from just about anywhere that I've never seen done before.

Publishers are very rarely the real winner, since every book that sells millions is balanced by hundreds of books that sell only hundreds.

I write to please me, to have a story that I want to read. Writing books for any other reason usually results in crappy books. What value is it to me as an author, to write a book I didn't like or enjoy? The only guaranteed winner is the author, if he writes a book that he wants to write. Why squander that?

message 10: by Ilyn (new)

Ilyn Ross (Ilyn_Ross) | 15 comments Congratulations, Marc. I wish you all the best with your books.

message 11: by Ilyn (new)

Ilyn Ross (Ilyn_Ross) | 15 comments Please check out the Reason Reigns and Cash raffle here: http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/1...

Thank you. Happy New Year.