SciFi and Fantasy Book Club discussion

Recommendations and Lost Books > Fantasy based on nonwestern myths?

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Smallo (new)

Smallo | 91 comments Especially African like Dogon myths. Sandman is my favorite fantasy. So any extrapolations from those mythologies may also interest me.

message 2: by Nixi (new)

Nixi (competine) | 6 comments Oh, I love Sandman too. Have you read Sandman: Dream Hunters? It's short story, but it has elements from eastern religion/myths. Very interesting, and very moving story. (Also has awesome illustrations made by Yoshitaka Amano)

message 3: by Kim (last edited Oct 19, 2013 01:23PM) (new)

Kim | 1504 comments Next month's fantasy book, Zoo City, is set in South Africa and draws on African influences.

message 5: by Krazykiwi (new)

Krazykiwi | 105 comments I try to go out of my way to read this kind of stuff.

Lian Hearn's Tales of Otori series is a fantasy take on ninjas, but it's light on the fantasy - still a good read though. Across the Nightingale Floor is the first of the series.

As well as Sandman, Gaiman has Anansi Boys which is theoretically a loose sequel to American Gods but works well standalone too - the two books are very different. It's based on the african god Anansi.

The Years of Rice and Salt is a world where Europe didn't really survive the plague, and what the world would look like after that reshaping.

Who Fears Death is postapocalyptic africa with magic, which is a fun ride.

message 6: by Ali (last edited Oct 20, 2013 09:03AM) (new)

Ali Berk Çetinbudaklar (aliberk) i am looking for this specific genre too.but it's not important for me whether its based on western myth or not.So can you please suggest some sci-fi/fantasy based on mythology?

The Einstein Intersection-Greek Myth-Delany
I,Immortal-Greekish-Zelazny
Lord of Light(highly recommended-Hindu/budism-Zelazny

i've read them;anything other than these???

message 7: by Nicolas (new)

Nicolas Wilson | 13 comments The Elementals is supposed to be based on Chinese mythology, I think? My wife tried reading it a bit back, but found the tone a bit heavy to keep her attention.

I read a good one recently, The Enchanted Castle, but it's definitely targeted at middle-grade/young adult readers, and may not scratch your itch all the way. It's based on Ethiopian myths, though, and pretty well done.

Ali- more general mythological fantasy... Hero For Hire is great. It's an ancient Greek historical urban fantasy. I know that sounds strange, but the mix works. My wife enjoyed Snake Dreamer when she was younger, which is also based in Greek mythology. Also, for something really strange, try The Stress of Her Regard. It's a historical fantasy drawing parallels between the Lamia (Lilith in Christian, and some Jewish sects) and vampires. Very dark and disturbing, but really entertaining characters. And not preachy-Biblical.

message 9: by Ben (new)

Ben Rowe (benwickens) There is just so much that is not based on Western myths. Aside from the masses of fantasy that are original creations (more or less):-

Alif the Unseen
Throne of the Crescent Moon
Yamada Monogatari: Demon Hunter
Strangers
Wizard of the Crow

And that is just the very tip of the iceberg.

message 10: by Mkooo (new)

Mkooo | 6 comments There is this author,
https://www.goodreads.com/author/show...

I think he has written 3 or 4 books so far and they're based on old Slavic mythology, and early christian period of the area (southeastern europe).. they're translated into english as far as I now

Excellent topic btw!

message 11: by Jen (new)

Jen (jenlb) | 172 comments Guy Gavriel Kay's Under Heaven by Guy Gavriel Kay Under Heaven and River of Stars by Guy Gavriel Kay River of Stars are both based on Chinese history/mythology.

message 12: by Thaddeus (new)

Thaddeus White | 96 comments You could try The Master of Izindi, which has a Middle Eastern/Arabian Nights feel to it.

Been a while since I read it, but I really rather liked it.

message 13: by Greg (new)

Greg Strandberg (gregstrandberg) You can't go wrong with Kay. I don't want to get too heavy in promotion, but a few years ago I wrote one about China in 500 BC called The Warring States.
The Warring States

message 14: by Julia (new)

Julia | 928 comments The Golem and the Jinni by Helene Wecker The Golem and the Jinni by Helene Wecker has characters from Eastern Europe and Syria, but is set in New York City in the early years of twentieth century.