Dumbledore's Army discussion

Movies > Harry Potter Movies

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Swati , Is not active as of this current moment (new)

Swati  (readerforevergmailcom) | 2208 comments Mod
Hmm..Whadya mean?

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

The movies aren't NEARLY as good as the books. The movies take away stuff, and add crap.

message 3: by Pandy (last edited Jun 08, 2009 08:10AM) (new)

Pandy | 637 comments I don't really think so. I guess it depends on how much of a book purist you are. In my opinion, the only movie that is the closest to being ruined is the Goblet of Fire. The first two movies are the most faithful to the book because they are based on the shortest novels (obviously). A lot of people don't like Columbus's adaptations of SS and CoS though, because the plot comes straight out of the books and the movie doesn't add anything to give it a magical atmosphere and the cinematography isn't as impressive as the later films. Books and films are two different things - too much expository dialogue usually doesn't work well in films to convey information written in books. I've heard people say that the second movie drags, but I don't think so. None of the above things really bother me about the first two movies. I do like the first two films, but I think the trio's acting is much better in the later films - it's quite understandable since they're so young in SS and CoS, but I think both Watson and Grint are usually better than Radcliffe.

The third movie is my favorite. I think visually, it's more stunning than any of the films so far. Hogwarts looks darker and much more like I imagined it to look in the books. The story never drags, but it isn't horribly rushed either. Of course, this is when they had to start cutting and changing a lot of the book. I don't think they did a bad job. The main problem was that the Marauders' storyline isn't explained clearly enough.

I've already said that I think the fourth movie is the worst so far. The book is pretty long, so it's natural to expect that more is cut out, but the pacing is still bad. There are a lot of unimportant things that are different from the book (i.e. the appearance of Fleur, the silly "Hi, Harry" from the Patil twins, Harry and Ron's hair, Snape's character portrayed comically and not above knocking student's heads together, Neville dancing with himself, and Maxime eating something out of Hagrid's beard), but they add up to make me dislike the film. I could go on forever about how much I don't like Gambon as Dumbledore. (To be fair, Gambon isn't that bad in the scene in the dormitory at the end, but the "Did you put your name in the Goblet of Fire!?" is horrible.) I think the movie could have been so much better if they didn't waste so much time on scenes like the Yule Ball and the first task, which is way too long compared to how long it takes in the book (What is the point of the dragon chasing Harry around Hogwarts for all that time?). I'm not sure of the point of the maze "changing" people at the end. I have to admit, though, the graveyard is wonderful with Ralph Fiennes as Voldemort. Hermione's line: "Everything is going to change now, isn't it?" is a useless way to properly end the movie. Before, that Dumbledore hardly explains anything. (What's the point of mentioning Priori Incantatem, if he isn't going to say a thing about what it is?) Maybe I'm too hung up on little things in this film, but I still can't help disliking it.

I like the OotP movie more than the fourth one, especially after watching it over a few times. It's definitely rushed, but the editing seems okay after a while. (The first time I saw it, the choppy editing bothered me the whole time I was watching, though it seems to fit the story.) I don't have major complains about the acting - Gambon is tolerable. Many people on forums I've seen complain about the blue filter used in the film, but I always think about OotP as blue (because of the American cover) and like it. I only wish that the prophecy and Snape's Worst Memory could have been emphasized more. Sirius's death doesn't have enough of an impact, but at least there are a couple character development scenes between him and Harry. Once again, there could have been more time with Dumbledore at the end. Even five more minutes would suffice. OotP is the shortest film - they could have easily kept in a few more minutes. Overall though, I enjoy this movie. I can't wait for the Half-Blood Prince!

(I know Jenn - this is way too long.)

message 4: by Pandy (last edited Jun 07, 2009 01:39PM) (new)

Pandy | 637 comments Good effort, Jenn.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Yeah, I read the first scentence and stopped, seeing how long it was. Sorry, Pandy.

message 6: by Priscilla (new)

Priscilla VdL (dunnopris) i read most of it...

message 7: by Priscilla (new)

Priscilla VdL (dunnopris) I like the first 3 movies...

message 8: by Priscilla (new)

Priscilla VdL (dunnopris) yes, the trird one is my favorite,of the movies

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

do u all know that they r making 2 movies for the 7th one since they cannot add all the details in one movie

message 10: by Swati , Is not active as of this current moment (new)

Did you seriously type AAAAALL of that Pandy?!

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

I was soooo shocked when saw that sicne i was like how long did it take u?

message 12: by Pandy (new)

Pandy | 637 comments I don't know how long it took, but it wasn't that long, or I wouldn't have done it.

I think it's a very good idea to split the seventh movie. The point where they will break the story hasn't officially been released. I thought that they would probably end the first part after Ron comes back and destroys the locket Horcrux, but it seems like the split will be after Malfoy Manor based on this:

"We can be almost certain that the first movie ends right here at the part where they travel to Shell Cottage, after the events at the Malfoy Manor. That's because they will shoot those scenes at the summer of 2009, which still is part of the separate filming of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part I." (From The All Inclusive DH List)

message 13: by Swati , Is not active as of this current moment (new)

Yeah, I think it's awesome that they're splitting the movie. I thought they might break it at where Ron leaves Harry and Hermione, but I guess after the Malfoy Manor is good too. Suspense!!

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

yeah

message 15: by Tiffany , Is not active as of this current moment but is proud of you guys (new)

Tiffany  (tiffanyyy_wang) | 1972 comments Mod
Yes..... if they didn't, they would probably cut too much, then the book is ruined!

message 16: by Melyssa (new)

Melyssa | 4 comments For awhile I was in favor of them splitting after the burial of Dobby.
Then I was in favor of the split after Ron returns and they destroy the locket. I mean that scene is pretty intense, what with how LV's piece of soul speaks & lies to them.
Then I was in favor of them splitting after they are captured in their tent and taken to Malfoy Manor.

There's too many options. I'm happy about the split though.

message 17: by Marissa (last edited Jun 12, 2009 11:26AM) (new)

Marissa | 2 comments At least with the split they wil be able to include more of the book into the movie. How far apart do you think the two movies will be released?

message 18: by Tiffany , Is not active as of this current moment but is proud of you guys (new)

Then that would be the end of the first movie. Then, the beginning of the movie would have Harry going, "DOBBY! NO! DON'T DIE!" looking angry and with his anger management problems but still looks constipated.

Marissa asked "How far apart do you think the two movies will be released? "
I guess about a year because the actors can't work on 2 movies at once.

message 19: by Pandy (new)

Pandy | 637 comments Well, they are filming the movies back to back. Part I will be released on November 19, 2010 and Part II will be released on July 15, 2011. (Those are the dates that have been released now, anyway. Hopefully they aren't delayed like HBP was.)

message 20: by Marissa (new)

Marissa | 2 comments Pandy wrote: "Well, they are filming the movies back to back. Part I will be released on November 19, 2010 and Part II will be released on July 15, 2011. (Those are the dates that have been released now, anyway...."

Thanks!

message 21: by Tiffany , Is not active as of this current moment but is proud of you guys (new)

Yeah..... and we're gonna hafta wait a while. *sits on moive thearter steps* I'm waiting...... *sits there* HOW LONG HAS IT BEEN???
Jenn: 3 minutes.
Um..... sorry, but I can't wait this long. I am diagnosed with enough ADHD to not be able to sit here and wait for an hour! Sorry, see ya!
Jenn: Okay.....

message 22: by Swati , Is not active as of this current moment (new)

=)

message 23: by Swati , Is not active as of this current moment (new)

WRONG. 2 MOVIES.

message 24: by Swati , Is not active as of this current moment (new)

=/

message 25: by Tiffany , Is not active as of this current moment but is proud of you guys (new)

2 MOVIES WHAT?????

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

confuzzled

message 27: by Kate*~FlyingOnABroom~*, ~*Never*Knows*What*To*Write*Here*~...*sighs* (new)

Kate*~FlyingOnABroom~* (bookluver2000) | 1908 comments Mod
Did anyone watch the 1st deathly hallows movie I loved but it was a bit on the gloomy side and wasn't as good as some of the other movies.

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

1st deathly hallows movie is epic, wait that doesn't even describe it. I throughly enjoyed it. Amazing.

message 29: by Kate*~FlyingOnABroom~*, ~*Never*Knows*What*To*Write*Here*~...*sighs* (new)

Epic describes it but it didn't bring out the magic that was in the book.

message 30: by Pandy (new)

Pandy | 637 comments I think the movies misses the story (or "heart" if you will) of the book too, but I still enjoy it.

message 31: by Kate*~FlyingOnABroom~*, ~*Never*Knows*What*To*Write*Here*~...*sighs* (new)

True, true :)