Christian Apocalyptic Fiction/ Christian Comics & More discussion

Do you get ashamed or nervous when ...

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anthony (new)

Anthony | 74 comments Mod
When you are reading your Christian fiction out in public, do you tend to hide the cover or do you read it loud and proud?

Are you ashamed/nervous to be seen reading a Christian themed book?

message 2: by LadyCalico (new)

LadyCalico Heavens, no. This is gentile, small town South where we have more churches than bars. Christians aren't assumed to be Dumb-Dumbs or Haters as may be true in other parts of the US. I am always glad to discuss my book with anyone who asks. The only time a discussion turned somewhat uncomfortable or antagonistic was when I was asked my opinion of The Shack. I made the mistake of expressing my discomfort with the book to two Shack-lovers.

message 3: by Anthony (new)

Ah ok. I live in NYC and I don't have such issues either. But I have heard that some people can be intimidated.

Ah the Shack - it does raise some strong emotins doesn't it? There were a couple of things borderline heretical about it if not downright heretical.

message 4: by LadyCalico (new)

LadyCalico Yes, I found out the hard way the Shack raises strong emotions, Personally I found it neither good literature nor good theology, so the rabid devotion of the Shack lovers blindsided me. I also was shocked by the rabid devotion of Karen Kingsbury fans. Can't figure out what they get so excited about.

message 5: by Anthony (last edited Sep 16, 2009 07:58AM) (new)

Lola4 wrote: "Yes, I found out the hard way the Shack raises strong emotions, Personally I found it neither good literature nor good theology, so the rabid devotion of the Shack lovers blindsided me. I also wa..."

I read the Shack and I found it just like any other book. Some one's opinion. What some people need to understand is that any book talking about God should line up with the bible. For me, if it's opposite of what the Bible says He is, well you don't have to guess which one I'm going to throw out. But at the end of the day it's fiction

Ms. Kingbury doesn't write a genre that I'm particularly interested in so I can't really say.

message 6: by Tom (new)

Tom Fowler (stuckintraffic2) | 3 comments Never have a problem letting people see what I'm reading. In fact on vacation I've had several people come up and comment on a Christian book I am reading, and it has never been negative. He isn't ashamed of us, why should we be ashamed of Him.
As far as the Shack goes, here's my take. I loved the book, thought it was very well written, had some great analogies (Christ spoke in analogies all the time), and I didn't find anything heretical about it at all. That being said, (and no one has strung me up yet). IT'S FICTION!!! It was not meant to be a literal translation of the Bible. Does anyone freak out his much about any other Christian fiction that takes literary license? Bottom line in any discussion on theology is this in my opinion: Jesus Christ is God, He died for our sins, and through Him we come to the Father forgiven....end of story. Anything else that we disagree on is really pointless, and honestly drags us down in the eyes of the world. As Christians, we are too ashamed and too argumentative. We are one body and one bride and we should be good with that.

message 7: by Anthony (new)

Tom wrote: "Never have a problem letting people
***SPOILER ALERT**** *** SPOILER ALERT*****

see what I'm reading. In fact on vacation I've had several people come up and comment on a Christian book I am reading, and it has never been negative. He isn't ..."

I agree with you Tom. I think some people were insulted with the fictionalized items.
e.g. one reviewer took the writer to task because God took the form of a black woman.

message 8: by Anthony (new)

Is that why then there are so few fiction books that deal with God or the end times or angels/demons? Is there a hesitancy to take poetic license?

message 9: by Tom (new)

Tom Fowler (stuckintraffic2) | 3 comments I absolutely agree with you Anthony. For so many years conventional wisdom accepted God as an elderly white man with a flowing beard sitting on a throne, and no one was "taken to task" (until we adopted current PC standards). Why is it so supremely vile to use this image of a large black woman? In the book "Papa" even explains why God appears to Mac in this form.
But you are completely correct in supposing that there is a great deal of hesitancy to take poetic license. Pastors do it all the time from the pulpit, Christian songwriters do the same. Even the Bible does...so we really believe that God has "wings of eagles", etc? It's okay for us to see God as a "bird", but not a lovable black woman.
Again, my stance is always...the salvation message is what's important, as long as the truth of that message is passed on, the rest is secondary.
Let's not let the world watch us beat each other up on the trivial.

message 10: by Anthony (last edited Aug 18, 2010 08:41AM) (new)

Tom, I just noticed that you had made this wonderful cogent response. :-) way back in Sept fo last year :-)

Methinks there is something askew with lots of the stuff we believe.

But you are right - salvation is the message. As long as nothing hinders that...

Christian Apocalyptic Fiction/ Christian Comics...

unread topics | mark unread