The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (Chronicles of Narnia, #1) The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe discussion

the lion, the witch and the wardrobe

Comments Showing 1-50 of 57 (57 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Lauren (last edited Aug 25, 2016 10:55AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lauren Holland i loved this book as a child, and recently read it again. it's a great work of fantasy/scifi, a wonderful work of fiction...and, surprisingly, an incredible allegory for christianity, albeit much more accessible and human than most biblical stories. although i am not religious, the religious aspect is an integral part of the book and adds an extra layer of depth to the story. you can relate to the protagonists, and aslan as the christ figure is loving and strong. this - and all the chronicles - are beautiful books for older children and adults.

message 2: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ i tried to like these books but just couldn't. they're just so sexist. i mean, the girls are given weapons but told not to use them because "it is ugly when women fight in battle" or something like that. i understand that when the book was written, it was a miracle if there were any female characters at all, but still...

message 3: by Bo (new)

Bo Lauren, I almost think they are wasted on children. I've had all of mine read them so that they will have the lovely memories and reread them as adults. Reread them many times. I discover more each time!

To Brigid- I agree that it is hard to read the backward attitude toward girls sometimes. In this case, I have to overlook it, because the stories are well worth it. And the girls are certainly heroes as well.

message 4: by Melissa (last edited May 07, 2008 08:22AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Melissa I loved these books, especially this one. I am religious so I didn't mind any analogies, in fact, I loved them. As a child, most of it did go over my head, but as many others have said (on this website and others) each time I read this book, no matter what stages of my life, it means something different that applies to what is happening in my life then. C.S. Lewis had an amazing talent that I'm so glad he shared.

message 5: by Caoimhe (new)

Caoimhe Goggins You have to take the book in the context of the time regarding the supposed sexism - it was written in 1950 and Lewis had lived through two World Wars. Anyway, it's not a book on political correctness, it's a work of fiction.

Brook Miscoski If you want to engage in a feminist critique of these stories, I think you'd refer to more than just a line or two. It's true that Lewis incorporates the expectations of his reality into the work. But it's also true that he creates strong female characters who flaunt expectations, with approval.

Perhaps that's just because Lewis is trying to create a book that appeals to children in general, so of course there have to be some strong female characters even if he is dictating some kind of world view. After all, his other works have mainly male characters. I really don't know the answer, but it just seems you'd have to think about his whole work, not just a social framework that might be expressed.

message 7: by Amrita (new)

Amrita Yeah, like you, Brigid, I had a few problems with the whole sexist outlook. And I was quite annoyed that in the last book, Susan doesn't join her brothers and sisters in Narnia. She didn't seem the type of person.
But all in all, this book was pretty good.

Emma  Blue Someone told me that some people's point of view is that women give life, men give death, so for a woman to be killing, it's morally wrong. If you think of it that way, it's a honor to be someone of life. I have to remember this was the fifties, but even then, CS has powerful women in his story (evil or not).

message 9: by May (new)

May My daughter loves it. She just finished the one about the Horse, and is now reading Prince Caspian.

Emma  Blue I just finished The Horse and His Boy, and was delighted to find Aravis being independent. Though I wish Susan was like how she is in the movies. I take movie Susan over book Susan anyday.

message 11: by Carmen (new)

Carmen Narnia is by far the best book series I've ever read. Aslan and Lucy are just amazing. I just wish that the movies had kept Susan and Caspian they way they were in the books--out of love. I mean, if they're in love, then what happens to the star's daughter? How is Prince Rillian ever born? What would be the whole point of "The Silver Chair"? I hope they'll get it all to work out somehow...

whichwaydidshego? Guys-guys! This is not supposed to be a discussion of ALL the books, but this one! I for one am reading the series for the first time and am only on this book (so have only read The Magician's Nephew), so I feel like A TON was just given away by reading this thread! Maybe some of ya'all can go back and put "SPOILERS" for whatever book you are discussing for the rest of us!

whichwaydidshego? As for me, I'm only part way through so far, but I just LOVED this bit:

"They say Aslan is on the move--perhaps has already landed."

And now a very curious thing happened. None of the children knew who Aslan was any more than you do; but the moment the Beaver had spoken these words everyone felt quite different. Perhaps it has sometimes happened to you in a dream that someone says something which you don't understand but in the dream it feels as if it had some enormous meaning--either a terrifying one which turns the whole dream into a nightmare or else a lovely meaning too lovely to put in to words, which makes the dream so beautiful that you remember it all your life and are always wishing you could get into that dream again. It was like that now. At the name of Aslan each one of the children felt something jump in its inside. Edmund felt a sensation of mysterious horror. Peter felt suddenly brave and adventurous. Susan felt as if some delicious smell or some delightful strain of music had just floated by her. And Lucy got the feeling you have when you wake up in the morning and realize that it is the beginning of the holidays or the beginning of summer.

The descriptions of how they felt were so tangible. And, too, so telling of their characters. But the vividness of it all moved me.

For such a small book, it seems to have great depth.

Jacquelinn Kai Yes, a great depth of beauty and soul, stirred from visions in the midst of night and callings of journey in the stark of day.

Charity U Carmen wrote: "Narnia is by far the best book series I've ever read. Aslan and Lucy are just amazing. I just wish that the movies had kept Susan and Caspian they way they were in the books--out of love. I mean..."

I agree, Carman! I so wish that they hadn't added that.

Shannon I absolutely love the Narnia series. I loved The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. I was completely glued to it when I read it, I just couldn't put it down. The movies are quite good but I agree with Charity and Carmen, I don't really think that Susan and Caspian should have fallen in love because it just mixes up the series for the viewer (of the movies).

message 17: by Sabah (new) - rated it 1 star

Sabah I barely got through the first book. I tried to like it believe me I tried it was just too boring to like!

Rhea Always loved this series especially the lion the witch and the wardrobe :) The ending broke my heart though!! Ill try not to spoil it for those who havnt got there yet but while they all ended up together at the very end (with the exception of susan if i remember right which i thought abit cruel) it seems that I was still hoping that the series would finish with the perfect happy ending I always seemed to expect.

Torie ♥ Brigid ♥ wrote: "i tried to like these books but just couldn't. they're just so sexist. i mean, the girls are given weapons but told not to use them because "it is ugly when women fight in battle" or something like..."

But it IS ugly when women fight in battle. Why would there be an argument there?
Ok so that part bothered you about the book. That's understandable. But you disliked the WHOLE BOOK because of that one detail???

message 20: by Dee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dee @ Brigid - you also need to put these books in the context when they were written in the 1950's (IIRC) - women rarely fought at that time - yes, there had been women who served in WW2 but mostly in auxiliary type rules, they weren't on the front line - and with the weapons they had (susan and her bow; Lucy and her dagger) they were better off not being on the front line - bow/arrow is better as a distance, and a dagger wouldn't help her if she was attacked

Chelsea If all you can concentrate on after reading this book is "sexism," then the beauty of the story is completely lost on you. C.S. Lewis was a Christian. He told this story with the purpose of sharing a Christian message. He did this with astounding skill and insight.

Perhaps you don't particularly care for the message. So you decide to declare this book not worth your time, boring, or simply not good. This is like a person scoffing at the Mona Lisa. The Mona Lisa is amazing. The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe is amazing. Period. Anyone who tries to say anything different is simply silly.

Torie Wait, what's amazing about 'the Mona Lisa'? I agree with everything else you said there, Chelsea, but that's the only thing that made me go "whaaa?"

message 23: by Lynx (new)

Lynx Brigid, I totaly agree with you, have you read any books by Tamora Pierce? You'll love them! Tori, I think the Mona Lisa is amazing it's art, and I LOVE art.

P.S. Brigid I love how you put "lion heated girl" there!

Torie Sure there's a lot of art that I love as well. But there's also plenty of art that I dislike, or that simply doesn't make sense to me. I don't see what's so special about 'The Mona Lisa.' It seems like just a portrait of some lady who isn't really all that attractive.

message 25: by Lynx (new)

Lynx true, I mostly like art that's pictures of animals or art like the kind on the covers of the Song of the lioness quartet: A warrior girl.

message 27: by Night (last edited Jul 19, 2011 11:14AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Night Fury Honestly, I don't really care much for the book itself.
But the movie... man is it COOOL!!

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

I absolutely LOVE this book and the whole series!! I have read the books so many times that they are falling apart. Every time I read them I learn something new. Some times I just want to go into Narnia because it's so amazing there :D
I like the movies but they are definitely not as good as the books. I heard they are going to make "The Magician's Nephew" next.

Torie I heard that as well. The Magician's Nephew is my favorite, so I'm excited, but at the same time, I definitely think they should make The Silver Chair first, because the kid who played Eustace in Voyage of the Dawn Treader is gonna grow up and be too old to play the part in the Silver Chair if they make The Magician's Nephew first!!

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

That is true Torie :)
I wonder how they are going to make "The last battle" There are some things in there that might be scary for younger watchers...like Tash he is described a little scary..

Shannon I'm looking forward to watching The Last Battle when it comes out. I loved The Voyage of the Dawn Treader!!!!!

But there's one downer, it would probably give loads of little kids nightmares. There was one part that I didn't really enjoy, when that creature thingy opened up and you saw it's insides, it made me feel queasy because I was eating some food when watching that part.

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

yea that's my worry... Like I want them to make the last battle just like the book but what about the younger fans?? Can they make a movie that is really good but not too scary for the younger ones???

message 33: by Dee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dee i sorta see it like harry potter - you grow up through the series, so by the time you get to the darker books - i.e. the last battle, they are older and more able to understand

MizziQ I hated the book. Meh :(

message 35: by Jane (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jane How many times have I read this book? I have no idea, but my first read must have been at age 10-12. Have always loved it!

message 36: by Will (new) - rated it 4 stars

Will IV I still have the Scholastic box set.

m/

message 37: by Cyd (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cyd I must have read these books at least ten times each as a young girl. It's funny how many references to Narnia you can read in other authors works. These stories are absolute classics.

message 38: by Lynx (new)

Lynx Torie wrote: "Check this out! http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_KLJU3hHDGVM..."

It's so pretty!!! They say "don't judge a book by it's cover," but i judge almost all my books by there covers and I lover them all!

Valerie I love it. It's such a beautiful book. Everyone I know loves it too.

message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

I LOVE THIS BOOK!!!!! I love the movie and everything about it. it s amazing

Benjamin  roxas Sears franklin :) this book has a ongoing tale wich i think is just plain awesome i read this book almost every single day its awe/inspiring :)

Benjamin  roxas Sears franklin :) Sara wrote: "I only like this one i tried to read some of the others but they're so boring!!!! this one is the best 1" i so tottaly agree

Starburst I took a class about this book, where we read it and analyzed it... I have to say, I LOVE IT!

Benjamin  roxas Sears franklin :) awesome book 5 star gold

message 45: by [deleted user] (new)

YEAH ALL THE WAY

message 46: by [deleted user] (new)

YEAH ALL THE WAY

Sandra Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!* wrote: "i tried to like these books but just couldn't. they're just so sexist. i mean, the girls are given weapons but told not to use them because "it is ugly when women fight in battle" or something like..."

Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!* wrote: "i tried to like these books but just couldn't. they're just so sexist. i mean, the girls are given weapons but told not to use them because "it is ugly when women fight in battle" or something like..."

I TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU, YOU TOOK MY WORDS!

Tamie charbonneau i love all there books

message 49: by Dee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dee you have to take into account when these books were written - it was the 1950's, women weren't expected to fight in battles

secondly, there is a lot of christian allegory in the book - not sure if its anywhere in the bible, but is there anything about women not fighting?

Hannah I absolutely love this book! It is perfect!

« previous 1