Challenge: 50 Books discussion

*Retired* 2008 Lists > Luzcasa's 50 books

Comments Showing 1-50 of 77 (77 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Luzcasa (new)

Luzcasa | 404 comments I just joined, therefore I am a little behind everyone in their 50 books.
So far I have
1. Slaughterhouse-Five(Vonnegut)--I enjoyed it because it was really different.
2. Foundation (Asimov)--I really loved it. Classic Science Fiction!
That's it so far.

message 2: by Danine (new)

Danine (dulcemea) Hi Luzcasa! Thanks for joining. I don't look at it as "being behind." The goal is just to read 50 books in a year. :)

There were a lot of great quotes from "Slaughterhouse-Five" that I really enjoyed. I think I am going to read "Foundation" this year too.

message 3: by Luzcasa (new)

Luzcasa | 404 comments I have just read #3: The Catcher in the Rye (Salinger). I liked the writing style of Salinger, however, I did not like the character.

message 4: by Luzcasa (new)

Luzcasa | 404 comments #4: Frankenstein (Shelley). Short read, interesting but not earth shattering. On to the next novel!

message 5: by Luzcasa (new)

Luzcasa | 404 comments Foundation was great...I encourage everyone to read it...especially if they like science fiction.

message 6: by Luzcasa (new)

Luzcasa | 404 comments #5: Foundation and Empire (Asimov). Really builds on the first in the series and sets up perfectly the next book. I enjoyed it because it had a little more meat than the first and therefore it became more suspenseful. On the next!

message 7: by Luzcasa (new)

Luzcasa | 404 comments #6: Bloomsbury at Home (Todd). Very fascinating look at Virginia Woolf and her Bloomsbury friends through the varied houses they lived in and loved. A good history to read while one is reading a Woolf novel.

message 8: by Luzcasa (new)

Luzcasa | 404 comments #7 Second Foundation (Asimov) really good ending to the trilogy.
#8 The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe (Lewis)
#9 Lesson Before Dying (Gaines). Incredible book. Really moving.
On to the next!

message 9: by Luzcasa (new)

Luzcasa | 404 comments #10 Diary of a Madman and other stories (Gogol) Very interesting. One of the best Russian writers I have read yet. Good stuff! On to the Next!

message 10: by Luzcasa (new)

Luzcasa | 404 comments #11 Prince Caspian (Lewis)very good. I enjoyed it just as much as Lion, witch, and wardrobe. Didn't expect to. On to the Next!

message 11: by Luzcasa (new)

Luzcasa | 404 comments #12 The Opium Wars (Hanes) well written but a very sad history lesson. On to the Next!

message 12: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 47 comments How did you like The Opium Wars? Sounds very interesting.

message 13: by Luzcasa (new)

Luzcasa | 404 comments I enjoyed The Opium Wars because it gave a very thorough accounting, especially of the politics, of the events that led up to and through the wars. I am a history buff so this was right up my alley!

message 14: by Luzcasa (new)

Luzcasa | 404 comments #13 Make Room, Make Room! (Harrison). Very interesting and is the book the movie Soylent Green was based on. Some significant differences however. On to the Next!

message 15: by Luzcasa (new)

Luzcasa | 404 comments #14 The Rant Zone (Miller). Quite humorous, but vulgar in many parts. On to the Next!

message 16: by Luzcasa (new)

Luzcasa | 404 comments #15 Stranger in a Strange Land (Heinlein). Very interesting. The topic was a good one. Got a little weird towards the end, but very well written. On to the Next!

message 17: by Luzcasa (new)

Luzcasa | 404 comments #16 Sex God (Bell) very good book. On to the Next!

message 18: by Luzcasa (new)

Luzcasa | 404 comments #17 Voyage of the Dawn Treader (Lewis) Great! has more adventures I believe than Prince caspian and about the same as the Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. On to the Next!

message 19: by Luzcasa (new)

Luzcasa | 404 comments #18 Freakonomics (Levitt) It was certainly interesting, I have never liked economics before so this was a surprise. On to the Next!

message 20: by Luzcasa (new)

Luzcasa | 404 comments #19 Watership Down (Adams) Awesome book! Totally loved it! (and it was mentioned in season 1 of Lost). On to the Next!

message 21: by Luzcasa (new)

Luzcasa | 404 comments #20 Kim (Kipling) Awesome book! Love his writing!
#21 Me Talk Pretty One Day (Sedaris) Hilarious guy. Has a different view of the world than most.
On to the Next!

message 22: by Luzcasa (new)

Luzcasa | 404 comments #22 Star Man's Son 2250 A.D. (Norton) a classic science fiction. Thoroughly enjoyed it. On to the Next!

message 23: by Luzcasa (new)

Luzcasa | 404 comments #23 Why We Read What We Read (Adams) nonfiction. It was and interesting observation on the dirth of truly challenging literature being read by Americans. However the authors were a little too concerned with reviewing the books plots and a little less concerned with the 'why' of their being read. On to the Next!

message 24: by Luzcasa (new)

Luzcasa | 404 comments #24 The Silver Chair (Lewis) Good! On to the Next!

message 25: by Luzcasa (new)

Luzcasa | 404 comments #25 The Screwtape Letters (Lewis) Awesome! I love Lewis' writing and this book was so intelligent and true.
#26 Fight Club (Palahniuk) Truly and incredible book! The writing was awesome and it ended so perfectly. Wow!
On to the Next!

message 26: by Luzcasa (new)

Luzcasa | 404 comments #27 Letters to a Young Poet (Rilke) Very intense. Tons of information in so small a space. Really good. On to the Next!

message 27: by Luzcasa (new)

Luzcasa | 404 comments #28 Lady Windemere's Fan (Wilde) I saw the play in London with Vanessa Redgrave as one of the main characters. Loved it! I enjoyed reading it just as much I think but it was especially because I could picture the characters with ease. On to the Next!

message 28: by Luzcasa (new)

Luzcasa | 404 comments #29 The Horse and His Boy (Lewis) Really good but slightly different than the other books in this series and I'm not sure I like that. On to the Next!

message 29: by Luzcasa (new)

Luzcasa | 404 comments #30 The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (Adams). Since this book contains all five novels to the series, I was tempted to count it five times, but I'm not going to cheat like that. The first four novels were hilarious and absurd but the last novel "Mostly Harmless" was a little depressed and seemed tired. Still awesome though! On to the Next!

message 30: by Luzcasa (new)

Luzcasa | 404 comments #31 We (Zamyatin) this book was written in the 1920s as a warning against communism. You can easily see how it influenced 1984 and Brave New World. It was very good. On to the Next!

message 31: by Luzcasa (last edited May 17, 2008 03:51PM) (new)

Luzcasa | 404 comments #32 The Magician's Nephew (Lewis) Really good. It tells how Narnia began. However, I'm glad I have been reading this series in this order because it just really seems to make more sense.
#33 Amok (Zweig) Really interesting story. Interesting dilemma presented. On to the Next!

message 32: by Luzcasa (new)

Luzcasa | 404 comments #34 The Ruins (Smith) It was okay. He's a good writer but I felt that this story was too much like something that Stephen King would write--meaning its been done before, in movies and in books. On to the Next!

message 33: by Luzcasa (new)

Luzcasa | 404 comments #35 The Last Battle (Lewis) Awesome! Incredible vision of Revelation in the Bible. He was such an awesome writer! I wish Prince Caspian was doing better at the box office simply because I want all these books made into movies! On to the Next!

message 34: by Luzcasa (new)

Luzcasa | 404 comments #36 Jane Eyre (Bronte) Awesome! what else can I say about it? On to the Next!

message 35: by Luzcasa (new)

Luzcasa | 404 comments #37 Dune (Hebert) Very good book that is just as political and religious as anything I've read. Very intricate novel. Enjoyable but I've heard that the others in the series are nothing like this first one so this is the only one I'm going to try. On to the Next!

message 36: by Liz B (new)

Liz B (LizB) | 104 comments I was the same way with Dune. I really liked it, but felt no need/ desire to read any others in the series.

message 37: by Melynna (new)

Melynna That's a good idea. I read them in high school, and I remember loving the first, thinking the second was okay, the third was really not that good, and then about 50 pages into the fourth I had to put it down. That was the first time I ever didn't finish a book -- it was just so ridiculous and stupid. I wish someone had told me to stop with the first.

message 38: by Luzcasa (new)

Luzcasa | 404 comments #38 The Princess Bride (Goldman) Great! Even better than the movie and I didn't think that would be possible! Totally hilarious! On to the Next!

message 39: by Luzcasa (new)

Luzcasa | 404 comments #39 On the Road (Kerouac) Interesting novel. I can see why people would idolize their way of life, but it was crazy! Liked the writing style though. On to the Next!

message 40: by Luzcasa (new)

Luzcasa | 404 comments #40 I,Robot (Asimov) Really good. I liked how it showed the growth of robots from the very beginning to ruling the world. Nothing like the movie however! On to the Next!

message 41: by Luzcasa (new)

Luzcasa | 404 comments #41 The 60s Without Apology (Sayres) An interesting book, however it was very academic and therefore the constant need to research the theories took a little of the enjoyment away. On to the Next!

message 42: by Luzcasa (new)

Luzcasa | 404 comments #42 The Stepford Wives (Levin) Really good! Very different from the latest movie that was made. The ending horrifies you (especially as a woman!). I thoroughly enjoyed it. On to the Next!

message 43: by Luzcasa (new)

Luzcasa | 404 comments #43 Twilight (Meyer) Its a good book. If I were a teen I would probably say "It's Awesome!) however, my reading tastes have grown up a bit. I can see though the appeal to the teen girls reading it. On to the Next!

message 44: by Luzcasa (last edited Feb 25, 2009 02:35AM) (new)

Luzcasa | 404 comments #44 New Moon (Meyer) A better book than Twilight I think. It had more of a story rather than the "Oh he's so pretty" storyline from the first one. Still obviously a teen book, but I can see why they are so popular. On to the Next!

message 45: by Luzcasa (new)

Luzcasa | 404 comments #45 Sixties People (Stern) A really good book that showed the various ways of life and political beliefs of everyone that lived through the sixties. Very interesting. On to the Next!

message 46: by Luzcasa (new)

Luzcasa | 404 comments #46 The Stand (King) Very good book! Kinda scary because one can see the possiblities but still very enthralling book. I enjoyed it. I can see that at least with this book King is a good author. On to the Next!

message 47: by Luzcasa (new)

Luzcasa | 404 comments #47 The Most of P.G. Wodehouse (Wodehouse). Very good. Quite funny and very British. Loved Jeeves stories the most. On to the Next!

message 48: by Luzcasa (new)

Luzcasa | 404 comments #48 Till We Have Faces (Lewis) Awesome book! Tells the story of Cupid and Psyche but does it in a way that makes it completely understandable and gives it a meaning that you can make your own. I love Lewis' writing.

message 49: by Luzcasa (new)

Luzcasa | 404 comments #49 Uncle Tom's Cabin (Stowe) I've always been afraid to read this book because it is known to be sad. Finally read it, it was good, although it was obviously written as propoganda for the abolitionist movement and not literature. Still the characters were strong and well drawn. I'm glad I've read it. On to the Next!!

Almost at 50!

message 50: by Luzcasa (new)

Luzcasa | 404 comments #50 Jurassic Park (Crichton) A true classic in thriller fan clubs. I enjoyed reading it and now wish to rewatch the movie to see how it compares.

I have made my 50 books, however I have set a personal goal of 70 before the end of the year. I think I can make it! On to the Next!

« previous 1