The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

General Chat > The Millenium Series by Stieg Larsson (Please Mark SPOILERS)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 83 (83 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Hayes, Co-Moderator (new)

Hayes (hayes13) | 2060 comments Mod
I didn't know he was dead! I have this on TBR, but who knows when I'll get to it.

message 2: by Jeane (new)

Jeane Fiona, this isn't the millenium tv-serie..or is it?

message 3: by Lydia (new)

Lydia I loved the first book. It did start off slow but it picked up and was a great story. I hate that Blomvisk and Slander didn't get together at the end. I can't wait to read The Girl who Played with Fire.

message 4: by Rhonda (new)

Rhonda (rhondak) Spoiler alert******
I disagree that they should have become a couple, whatever that means in Swedish terms or in terms of Blomkvist's other semi-casual relations. While I agree that Salander made significant inroads to opening herself to him, (as well as to herself) I doubt if she could have dealt with the way he thought of relationships.
Thus I conclude that she might very well have become violent when she felt betrayed, as she no doubt would, sooner or later. No matter how you view her progress, in relation to almost every other thing in social life, Salander remained a kind of powder keg of unresolved emotions. In recognizing her need for Blomkvist, she seems to be cognizant of little more than the fact that the way he treated her allowed her to trust someone and allow him to see inside a bit. I suspect that even an imagined slight to her sense of that relationship would have made Blomkvist a eunuch in short order.

message 5: by Dorie (new)

Dorie (dorieann) | 464 comments The second book is being released here in the US today and I'm looking forward to reading it. It seems to have been such a long wait. It's always annoying when a book gets released in one place before another. It hinders our discussions! I've not read the thread yet to keep from being spoilered, but will come back and read through it once I read the book.

message 6: by Allison (new)

Allison (inconceivably) I'm going to Borders after work to get #2! I'm very excited. I may even shove aside what I'm reading now to immediately start it.

message 7: by Allison (new)

Allison (inconceivably) Fiona wrote: "Haha - you may as well just FINISH what you're reading atm Speedy G it will only take you a couple of minutes.

Don't do a Shogun now."

I won't pull a Shogun :)

I am sidelining everything else for Larsson though. Try and stop me!

message 8: by Kristine (new)

Kristine (foreveryearning) | 10 comments Reading TGWPWF right now and I really want to hurt Bjurman in all sorts of ways. Just leave Salander alone!

message 9: by Allison (new)

Allison (inconceivably) Kris wrote: "Reading TGWPWF right now and I really want to hurt Bjurman in all sorts of ways. Just leave Salander alone!"

isn't it frustrating? I wish I could wring his neck for her!

message 10: by Kristine (new)

Kristine (foreveryearning) | 10 comments Allison wrote: "Kris wrote: "Reading TGWPWF right now and I really want to hurt Bjurman in all sorts of ways. Just leave Salander alone!"

isn't it frustrating? I wish I could wring his neck for her!"

I've read further on and I'm a little bit more satisfied right now :)

I just wanted to share that I just received an email from Vintage Anchor that I've won a copy of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo! I totally forgot I signed up for the sweepstakes lol So glad I didn't buy my own copy last week when I was tempted :)

Back to the series, Salander just can't seem to live a peaceful life can she? Chaos just seems intent on following her around.

message 11: by Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (last edited Aug 14, 2009 03:55PM) (new)

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 554 comments I got this for my birthday and loved it. My mother then took it and loved it.

So I just gave a copy to my father for his birthday. I predict he loves it, too.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 554 comments Nope. Haven't seen a copy, actually.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 554 comments My mother is jonesing for it, that's for sure.

message 14: by Kristine (new)

Kristine (foreveryearning) | 10 comments Yeah I really hope the DVD will come out over here with subtitles. I think the odds may be even better for it if the movie becomes nominated for Best Foreign Film Oscar, like The Lives of Others.

Fiona, 'jonesing' is like saying "wanting something badly." Example - I'm jonesing for Henry Cavill, that's for sure ;)

message 15: by Kristine (new)

Kristine (foreveryearning) | 10 comments I was talking about me, honey :) But you're more than welcome to jones along with me lol

message 16: by Kristine (new)

Kristine (foreveryearning) | 10 comments How many people have you guys turned on to the Millenium series?

I've recommended it to one lady who is usually the one recommending books to me, and so far she's loving it (TGWTDT). And another lady I see every few weeks on the weekends, asked me today how I liked TGWPWF because the last time I saw her I was telling her how excited I was for it to come out. She had already been a fan before me.

message 17: by Allison (new)

Allison (inconceivably) Fiona wrote: "Oh whew well... uhm! "

LOL.

message 18: by Allison (new)

Allison (inconceivably) whatever :P I've had Dragon Tattoo sitting on my shelf for almost a year!

You did, I suppose, convince me to read it sooner than I would have though...I'll give you some credit for that. :)

message 19: by Allison (new)

Allison (inconceivably) hehe :)

message 20: by Kristine (new)

Kristine (foreveryearning) | 10 comments Same here, the cover attracted me initially when it first came out, but for some reason I never bothered to read the inside of the jacket. Then gradually I kept seeing this long book title getting mentioned in lots of places and for the longest time my B&N kept it out in front where people could easily see it and buy it. Then Fiona started reading it and loving it, and then TNBBC chose it for a monthly read. I couldn't escape it anymore lol

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

I am so excited because the final book in the series...The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest is due out here in Australia on 1 October and I noticed the first 'pre-order your copy now' sign in a local book store today. I can't wait to find out how Lisbeth ends up.

message 22: by Jeane (new)

Jeane Fiona wrote: "May I just say I am really enjoying this book and I am afraid I won't be able to wait for the second to come out in paperback. Which will mean getting a copy from the library which may be potential..."

I wonder for how long I will be able to read my other books first, now that I bought this one!!!

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

I am almost at the end of The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets Nest. Don't want it all to be over :(

message 24: by Maggie (new)

Maggie | 10 comments Jeane wrote: "Fiona, this isn't the millenium tv-serie..or is it

Are you thinking of the series Millenium made by Chris Carter (X Files fame) - I loved that series.

message 25: by Michèle (new)

Michèle LEBRETTE | 14 comments no because I have a lot books to read so I want to finsh them and after i'll see other. Thanks to tell me the author, i write it my book's list

Australie

message 26: by Donna (new)

Donna (dfiggz) I requested to see the film (Women who Hate Men) when the English subtitles are put in. I am all to eager to read The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest.

The first book was hard to get into (as many have agreed) but I am glad I pushed forward because it was great and then there was the second...Man that was the best thus far. But I have heard many great things about the last.

I think Larsson was an amazing author and I was saddened when I learned of his death.

message 27: by Donna (new)

Donna (dfiggz) Wouldn't it be great if books would come out in all languages in all countries at the same time...??? (that being said for films too)

message 28: by Michèle (new)

Michèle LEBRETTE | 14 comments I"ll be read in english but when I do it, I need my dictionnary the most of time, so it's very difficult to me that. I learn this language alone, so it's very difficulte when i should do a sentence, because i don't now all words. So i'm sorry it's sometimes you don't undesrtand very good my english

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

Finished The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets' Nest. Wow. Satisfied but sad that's over.

message 30: by Donna (new)

Donna (dfiggz) So it's in English huh? Well, Can't wait until it's released here in the States!

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

Yes published in the UK and Australia on 1 October - you guys apparently won't see it until June next year unless you order a copy from overseas.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 554 comments Goodness, that's quite a publishing gap there.

message 33: by Yassemin (new)

Yassemin (yas666) Bernadette wrote: "I am so excited because the final book in the series...The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest is due out here in Australia on 1 October and I noticed the first 'pre-order your copy now' sign in a lo..."

It's fantastic! I really enjoyed it :) Best one IMO

message 34: by Lou (new)

Lou (muwwwsic) The third book "The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets' Nest (Millennium, #3)" is out in the UK. I'll be starting it this week. Can't wait!

message 35: by [deleted user] (last edited Dec 20, 2009 11:55AM) (new)

I've finished the second one, just a week or so ago. It was even better than the first IMO. It isn't coming out in the US till next May, and I'd heard all sorts of wild stories about UK copies being sold for mega dollars.

However, on ABE Books I found some second hand copies, of the UK trade paperback edition, and have ordered one, for a good price, a good price IMO, 20USD including shipping.

Can't wait for it to arrive. :)

message 36: by Barbara (last edited Dec 23, 2009 06:15PM) (new)

Barbara (cinnabarb) | 8456 comments I've read The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and The Girl Who Played with Fire and loved them both. I'm waiting for my library to get the last one, The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest. It's sad that the author didn't live to see how popular his work became.

message 37: by Afsana (new)

Afsana (afsanaz) | 179 comments Pontalba wrote: "I've finished the second one, just a week or so ago. It was even better than the first IMO. It isn't coming out in the US till next May, and I'd heard all sorts of wild stories about UK copies be..."

No they are nto selling it for mega buck here in the uk-

amazon for under £10 and I bought it for £5 as part of an offer

message 38: by [deleted user] (new)

Afsana wrote: No they are nto selling it for mega buck here in the uk-

Sorry, I wasn't clear, I meant copies that U.S. booksellers were importing from the U.K. at regular prices and then selling over here for mega prices.

message 39: by Afsana (new)

Afsana (afsanaz) | 179 comments Pontalba wrote: "Afsana wrote: No they are nto selling it for mega buck here in the uk-

Sorry, I wasn't clear, I meant copies that U.S. booksellers..."

Thats bad!!

You should order it direct and then go and thumb your noses at them

Have a good day all

message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm about a quarter of the way into The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets' Nest and am absolutely loving it. The action that takes place on and a little after page 136 was totally gratifying. It was exactly what I kept thinking should happen, but didn't foresee how they'd accomplish it. What a shame Larsson isn't around to write more about Salander.

message 41: by George (new)

George Vassallo | 6 comments Pontalba - I agree with you completely. Stieg was a great writer. If you like him, check out Nelson's Payback, my own novel about a wronged man who hunts down financial crooks. George Vassallo

message 42: by Maggie (new)

Maggie | 10 comments It took me a while to get into the book, about 100 pages, but then it became a real page turner! I ordered the other two books straight away from Amazon! I look forward to reading more about Salander than any other character.

message 43: by George (new)

George Vassallo | 6 comments Stieg Larsson's novels do reach out and grab you. They are all being filmed as motion pictures in Sweden. The first one should be hitting the U.S. in the very near future. I agree that Salander is quite an enthralling character. George V.

message 44: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (cinnabarb) | 8456 comments George wrote: "Stieg Larsson's novels do reach out and grab you. They are all being filmed as motion pictures in Sweden. The first one should be hitting the U.S. in the very near future. I agree that Salander is ..."

I think this is great news. I look forward to seeing these movies (though it might have to be on Netflix if they're Swedish films - do these usually make it to U.S. theaters?)

message 45: by George (new)

George Vassallo | 6 comments Barbara - It's been my experience that European films play at arthouse cinemas in the U.S. Larsson's books have been such a huge international success that their film counterparts should get solid coverage in America. The three Larsson films will be shot with Swedish dialogue and English subtitles for American audiences. The reviews of the first one have been quite favorable in Europe.

message 46: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (cinnabarb) | 8456 comments George wrote: "Barbara - It's been my experience that European films play at arthouse cinemas in the U.S. Larsson's books have been such a huge international success that their film counterparts should get solid ..."

Thanks George. I'm glad to hear about the good reviews.

message 47: by George (new)

George Vassallo | 6 comments Barbara - A footnote to the Larsson movies. Swedish actress Naoomi Rapace has gotten rave reviews for her portrayal of Salander in the first film. They say that she has Salander down to a tee. Can't wait to see it. George

message 48: by Hayes, Co-Moderator (last edited Mar 23, 2010 10:31AM) (new)

I'm just finishing up "Dragon Tattoo". It's so good in so many ways (even if it is pretty "eewww" in some parts). I love it, though, that the scenes are intense without being gratuitously violent.

Can't wait to see the movie!

message 49: by George (new)

George Vassallo | 6 comments Just saw Girl with Dragon Tattoo yesterday here in Arlington, VA. Terrific movie. Handled by Swedish director as a film for adults. Quite different than the usual Hollywood sophomoric tripe. Go see it. And the really good news is that there are two more of them coming!

message 50: by Hayes, Co-Moderator (new)

Quite different than the usual Hollywood sophomoric tripe.

Sound like I'm gonna love it!! It came out here in Italy a while ago, but in Italian. (I hate dubbed movies!) I'm going to wait until I can see it on TV with subtitles.

« previous 1