Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Ann's May-2009 Books

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14990 comments I finished several audio books in May and enjoyed new installments of several favorites series - I have short reviews of each book here on Goodreads too. I have found it very helpful to organize my shelves here on Goodreads to keep my recently read books on a "just finished" shelf.

1 Repair to Her Grave by Sarah Graves finished 5/23/2009 9 of 10 read with Mom - we really liked this one!
2 The Renegades by T. Jefferson Parker finished 5/19/2009 9- of 10 Charlie Hood #2
3 Bone by Bone by Carol O'Connell finished 5/8/2009 10 of 10 fascinatingly intricate psychological whodunnit in a small town
4 A Rule against Murder A Three Pines Mystery by Louise Penny finished 5/27/2009 9+ of 10 Three Pines #4
5 Set In Darkness by Ian Rankin finished 5/18/2009 Audio 8+ of 10
6 Long Lost by Harlan Coben(#9 Myron Bolitar) finished 5/5/2009 Audio 9 of 10
7 Lethal Legacy by Linda Fairstein finished 5/29/2009 Audio 9 of 10 download - NYC Public Library and rare books
8 The Last Cactus by Daniel V. Schrager finished 5/25/2009 8+ of 10 Dan's chapters posted on GR

message 2: by Susie (new)

Susie Fevella (susieinks) | 1653 comments Great list Ann :) I never could get interested in the Sarah Graves series. There was just something missing for me. I definitely need to read the Louise Penny I have on the shelf and also catch up with Myron!

message 3: by OMalleycat (new)

OMalleycat | 1448 comments Ann listed: "1 Repair to Her Grave by Sarah Graves finished 5/23/2009 9 of 10 read with Mom - we really liked this one!"

I might get one of these to try out on my mom. She generally likes the kind of books you read with your mom--mysteries, but with a lighter touch.

And you might try one of the O'Malley (heheh) series by Dee Henderson. I haven't read any of them, but mom discovered them last year and ate them up one after the other. She says there's a slight religious element to them, if that would be off-putting. But it's not so heavy as to be intrusive and she really likes the characters and mysteries.

Jan O'Cat

message 4: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14990 comments Susie:
Yes, you'll definitely want to catch up with Myron; I especially enjoyed listening to Long Lost as I had listened to several of the previous books. I love the Three Pines series, and we liked Repair to Her Grave a bit more than the previous three Home Repair is Homicide books. I think they are growing on me. It probably helps that I read about 10 pages a day and space them out.

Susie in KS wrote: "Great list Ann :) I never could get interested in the Sarah Graves series. There was just something missing for me. I definitely need to read the Louise Penny I have on the shelf and also catch up with Myron ..."

message 5: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14990 comments Jan O'Cat:
Thanks for the Mom O'Cat tip on the Dee Henderson books! We are always on the lookout for a new cozy series. I just picked up the next two Sarah Graves books, a Murder She Wrote and one of the early Donna Andrews books in the Meg Langslow series.

JanOMalleycat wrote: "And you might try one of the O'Malley (heheh) series by Dee Henderson. I haven't read any of them, but mom discovered them last year and ate them up one after the other. She says there's a slight religious element to them, if that would be off-putting. But it's not so heavy as to be intrusive and she really likes the characters and mysteries.
"

message 6: by OMalleycat (new)

OMalleycat | 1448 comments Ann said: "Thanks for the Mom O'Cat tip on the Dee Henderson books! We are always on the lookout for a new cozy series."

Ann, I'm not sure that the Dee Henderson books are cozy in the same vein as Donna Andrews' or Lillian Jackson Braun, but I'd guess they're not "dark." I know you and your mom usually read the very light stuff. Perhaps I'll send you a Dee Henderson book so you can preview it before committing to reading it with your mom.

Jan O'Cat

message 7: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14990 comments Jan O'ThoughtfulCat:
Mom and I like different kinds of books, so will be glad to give the Dee Henderson books a try. She has always loved Jan Karon's books. The library tags both authors as writers of American Christian fiction. Thanks!

JanOMalleycat wrote: "Ann, I'm not sure that the Dee Henderson books are cozy in the same vein as..."