Goodreads Feedback discussion

Suggestions & Questions > Booklikes deleting GR reviews???

Comments Showing 1-50 of 142 (142 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Rich (new)

Rich Meyer (Rich_Meyer) | 7 comments Did anyone else get this email?

"Hi there,

We have been hearing from several of our members that they noticed some of their books and/or reviews were missing from Goodreads. When we investigated, we found that the deletions had been made by a third party service, BookLikes, through our API and that the Goodreads members concerned were unaware that this was happening.

You are receiving this email because you are a Goodreads member whose books or reviews on Goodreads have been deleted by this third party service through our API. If this happened without your understanding, our team can work to restore any reviews we can. This process could take several days. We will provide you with a list of the books and reviews restored to your account once this is completed. If you DO NOT want your books or reviews restored to your Goodreads account, please respond to this email letting us know by Thursday, October 10th. Otherwise, if we haven't heard back from you, we will work on restoring your content.

We have contacted BookLikes to let them know about this issue. We have disabled their API access while we look into how they were using it, so the deletions should no longer by happening.

Again, please reply to this email if you do NOT want us to restore your books or reviews to your Goodreads account.

Sincerely,
The Goodreads Team"

I just joined Booklikes to check it out for a blog I write for. I hadn't thought they'd go commando under my nose...

message 2: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 2232 comments my understanding from what booklikes has said, is that its a one way check value API...they get info from GR but don't transmit anything...

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

HA - that is truly unbelievable. Goodreads is upset that it is losing members to BL, so it blames BL for the "mystery deletions". Interesting retaliation, Kara.

message 4: by Becky (new)

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) | 5100 comments There is a Booklikes to Goodreads synchronization available on Booklikes. Is it possible that this has been activated?

From Booklikes FAQ:
"What’s BookLikes -> Goodread synchronization?
You can synchronize your Goodreads profile with your BookLikes webpage.

BookLikes -> Goodreads synchronization includes:
adding books to shelf,
adding shelves,
posting a review,
rating books.

Once you do one of those things on BookLikes, they will be published here on your BookLikes webpage and on your Goodreads profile.

Have in mind that if sync is ON and you'll do corrections to your imported books and edit reviews, the changes will be mirrored on your GR profile. If you wish to edit your reviews and books after import and you don't want this to be added to GR profile, please connect and synchronize your accounts after editing.
(My emphasis)

message 5: by Rich (last edited Oct 08, 2013 06:35PM) (new)

Rich Meyer (Rich_Meyer) | 7 comments Booklikes seems pretty useless, anyway. I don't care for the set-up (but that's just me). And it took about a week to add a 250-CSV of my reviews over at Booklikes.

After I get a book I won in a giveaway, I'll probably just delete my account there.

message 6: by Rich (new)

Rich Meyer (Rich_Meyer) | 7 comments I turned all the syncing off.

The thing is, I don't keep an eye on my reviews. I post them and move on; no point to worry about them after that. But there doesn't seem to be anything missing. At least nothing from this year (since I was doing the Reading Challenge).

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

The difference between GR and BL is that BL is adding new features every week in response to member requests. And a small Polish startup can't be compared to a California-based conglomerate like GRAmazon.

message 8: by Becky (new)

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) | 5100 comments Rich wrote: "I turned all the syncing off."

Does that mean it was on at one time? Maybe there's a bug on their end that it never actually disconnected? Just throwing thoughts out there.

message 9: by Stefani (new)

Stefani (steffiebaby140) | 453 comments Nope, I didn't get it. But then I just imported my info from GR and didn't link the two accounts because I have no desire to continue using GR much anymore so don't seen the two sites to sync.

message 10: by Rich (new)

Rich Meyer (Rich_Meyer) | 7 comments It had been on for awhile. I actually deleted my account once, in an attempt to stop the sync (which said it was going to take about 800 hours), and then I decided to try again. This time it said the CSV import would take about 1700 hours, and I decided to just let it run. A week later it actually finished, though a bunch of books hadn't been added for some reason (I forget the terminology at the moment).

I had it connected to GR and Facebook until tonight. Disconnected both after receiving the e-mail, just to be on the safe side.

message 11: by Tracy (new)

Tracy | 32 comments Oh please! All the people I saw that had lost books, lost them before the Great Migration. This is just GR's way to make people freak out. They have lost some of the highest profile reviewers and are panicking. Better to blame BL then admit they frakked up.

message 12: by Rich (new)

Rich Meyer (Rich_Meyer) | 7 comments If no one else, especially the folks who had been getting reviews and shelves deleted, has received the e-mail I received, I'm kinda thinking it might be an actual problem. You'd think in this atmosphere, GR would be reaching for straws to explain the deletions. If they aren't using this for some of the really active players on the stage, maybe Booklikes *did* do something?

No way to confirm it either way, but I always assume everyone's as evil as the next person. Fewer surprises that way :-)

message 13: by Derek (new)

Derek (derek_broughton) | 591 comments Dee wrote: "my understanding from what booklikes has said, is that its a one way check value API...they get info from GR but don't transmit anything..."

Other way around, when you sync your accounts.

message 14: by Tracy (new)

Tracy | 32 comments They're talking about it on BL and so far everyone who has received the letter hasn't lost any thing. Apparently a few of the new BL people have received the letter.

message 15: by Karma♥Bites ^.~ (last edited Oct 08, 2013 07:01PM) (new)

Karma♥Bites ^.~ (Karma_Bites) | 658 comments Rich wrote: "Booklikes seems pretty useless, anyway. I don't care for the set-up (but that's just me). And it took about a week to add a 250-CSV of my reviews over at Booklikes. ..."

I suspect that your extreme delay was probably due to *when* you did your import. I waited a bit and my 3000+ books/600+ reviews finished importing in less than 48hrs.

message 16: by Derek (new)

Derek (derek_broughton) | 591 comments Rich wrote: "Booklikes seems pretty useless, anyway. I don't care for the set-up (but that's just me). And it took about a week to add a 250-CSV of my reviews over at Booklikes.

After I get a book I won in a..."

It's ... different. But it imported 1600 books (with 300 text reviews) in a few minutes for me (though I admit I had to try it three times before I got it to work at all).

message 17: by Molly (new)

Molly | 10 comments Yes, I did tonight and it is pretty alarming. How can a third party have access to this information, if I have downloaded a separate file through GR and then upload that information to Booklikes? Seems incredibly fishy to me. I'm not entirely sold by Booklikes website, but this security issue has me worked up. I wasn't originally affected by your deletion of reviews/bookshelves (that I know of), but now I realize the feeling of shock in which other reviewers feel.

message 18: by ☯Emily (last edited Oct 08, 2013 07:08PM) (new)

☯Emily  | 601 comments Based on how GR has treated all of us, why would anyone believe what Kara and the Goodreads team have to say?

Batgrl (Book Data Kept Elsewhere) (goodreadscombatgrl) | 138 comments The interesting thing about this is that what GR did with the whole "we're going to delete shelves/reviews first and tell a small number of users about it later" made for a huge lack of trust. And so a chunk of members try another book site to replace GR, and that apparently causes bugs here. Which we have to trust GR's reports to us about. Er, problem there....

message 20: by Oldham Rocker (new)

Oldham Rocker (Old_Rocker) | 89 comments So GR's API is vulnerable to malicious interference?

message 21: by Becky (last edited Oct 08, 2013 07:19PM) (new)

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) | 5100 comments Rich wrote: "It had been on for awhile. I actually deleted my account once, in an attempt to stop the sync (which said it was going to take about 800 hours), and then I decided to try again. This time it said t..."

That's the import. The Booklikes to GR synchronization is something different, and is intended to directly impact your GR account. If there's a bug with that, then it stands to reason that it would cause issues here.

Goodness knows that GR has had some crazy bugs, and with all the new members and improvements that the BL people are trying to do to make their site more appealing, it seems possible to me that something somewhere got broke.

message 22: by Molly (new)

Molly | 10 comments Becky wrote: " The Booklikes to GR synchronization is something different, and is intended to directly impact your GR account."

I'm a far cry from a programmer, but I'm skeptical. I downloaded an actual file to my computer and then uploaded that to BL. My GR account should be mutually exclusive, and It is alarming that things were deleted from GR because of this. For a layman, I guess I'd like a bit more explanation.

message 23: by Derek (last edited Oct 08, 2013 07:29PM) (new)

Derek (derek_broughton) | 591 comments OldRocker Sign, Sign, Everywhere a Sign wrote: "So GR's API is vulnerable to malicious interference?"

I imagine. I don't see, anywhere, though, where it's possible to modify a book (claimed in the thread that brought me here), or delete a review (though you could edit a review to have no content, and you can remove a book from a shelf).

message 24: by Aislinn (new)

Aislinn | 122 comments Becky wrote: "Goodness knows that GR has had some crazy bugs, and with all the new members and improvements that the BL people are trying to do to make their site more appealing, it seems possible to me that something somewhere got broke. "

That makes a lot more sense to me than the automatic conspiracy theories being bandied about.

message 25: by Derek (new)

Derek (derek_broughton) | 591 comments Molly wrote: "I'm a far cry from a programmer, but I'm skeptical. I downloaded an actual file to my computer and then uploaded that to BL. My GR account should be mutually exclusive, and It is alarming that things were deleted from GR because of this. For a layman, I guess I'd like a bit more explanation. "

If that's all you did, I guarantee you that Booklikes didn't do anything to your GR account. It takes some explicit action on your part to link the GR account to Booklikes.

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

Please explain to me why it would be in Booklikes' best interests, as a small European start-up, to do something that might raise the ire of (and potentially, a lawsuit from) a large American mega-company like GR Amazon???

Sadly, I am required to invoke the infamous words of the late Johnnie Cochrane: "If the glove (doesn't) fit, you must acquit".

message 27: by Oldham Rocker (new)

Oldham Rocker (Old_Rocker) | 89 comments I looked at GR's API information. In my very limited understanding, it looks like a synchronization can indeed edit the GR database.

message 28: by Becky (new)

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) | 5100 comments Molly wrote: "I'm a far cry from a programmer, but I'm skeptical. I downloaded an actual file to my computer and then uploaded that to BL. My GR account should be mutually exclusive, and It is alarming that things were deleted from GR because of this. For a layman, I guess I'd like a bit more explanation. "

Absolutely. And I'm not a programmer either, but I just know that bugs are... buggy. Things that SHOULD work a certain way don't always. I'm thinking of situations on GR where people have been logged into random other users' accounts, or where the iphone app shows private/secret group posts on outgoing feeds, or how posting to a blog NEVER works for some people even though they've done everything 17 times and gave permission on both ends of the connection, etc. Just some examples.

I'm not saying anything is a definite... just that it's within the realm of possibility and should be looked into and fixed, given some of the crazy bugs I've seen on GR. When another API has access to change things on GR, well, that's a whole new layer of potential bugginess. :)

message 29: by Derek (new)

Derek (derek_broughton) | 591 comments OldRocker Sign, Sign, Everywhere a Sign wrote: "I looked at GR's API information. In my very limited understanding, it looks like a synchronization can indeed edit the GR database."

It can edit your reviews, it can't delete or modify a book, and it can't actually delete a review.

message 30: by Aislinn (new)

Aislinn | 122 comments Jennifer (It's a review, not a Hallmark card) wrote: "Please explain to me why it would be in Booklikes' best interests, as a small European start-up, to do something that might raise the ire of (and potentially, a lawsuit from) a large American mega-..."

Because program interfaces are often glitchy by nature - not everything is nefarious in intent on either side.

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

That just demonstrates the current level of laziness / cluelessness / incompetence at GR.

Nemo (The Moonlight Library) (moonlightlibrary) | 5 comments I received this email as well. My Booklikes was synched to Goodreads until I made my first book status update and discovered Booklikes added a different edition of the book to Goodreads than the one I was reading. Then I unsynched. This was more than a week ago.

None of my books or shelves from GR have gone missing.

message 33: by Becky (new)

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) | 5100 comments Jennifer (It's a review, not a Hallmark card) wrote: "Please explain to me why it would be in Booklikes' best interests, as a small European start-up, to do something that might raise the ire of (and potentially, a lawsuit from) a large American mega-..."

It's a connection just like Twitter's or Facebook's. They sometimes have issues and need to be fixed. I don't think they are deleting anything intentionally... if that's what's happening at all. Sometimes a bug is just a bug.

message 34: by Oldham Rocker (last edited Oct 08, 2013 07:44PM) (new)

Oldham Rocker (Old_Rocker) | 89 comments Derek (Guilty of thoughtcrime) wrote: "OldRocker Sign, Sign, Everywhere a Sign wrote: "I looked at GR's API information. In my very limited understanding, it looks like a synchronization can indeed edit the GR database."

It can edit yo..."

Yeah, I see that now. There are no Put's to delete a review. Thank you.

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

Puts?

message 36: by Kara (new)

Kara | 1580 comments Mod
Derek (Guilty of thoughtcrime) wrote: "OldRocker Sign, Sign, Everywhere a Sign wrote: "I looked at GR's API information. In my very limited understanding, it looks like a synchronization can indeed edit the GR database."

It can edit yo..."

To clarify, we removed the api documentation for review.destroy while we look into this.

message 37: by Oldham Rocker (new)

Oldham Rocker (Old_Rocker) | 89 comments Jennifer (It's a review, not a Hallmark card) wrote: "Puts?"

A Pull takes something from the data base and a Put puts something into it.

message 38: by Molly (new)

Molly | 10 comments I'm not sure on the flood of craziness because of this, but now my BL account is all jacked up. No gnome picture, and details I already set up.

message 39: by Sandi (new)

Sandi From what I've seen a few users had shelves/books missing who had used the GR export function but NOT synced accounts. Maybe someone should investigate if the export function is working properly.

message 40: by Tracy (last edited Oct 08, 2013 08:03PM) (new)

Tracy | 32 comments I just noticed that some of the shelves I renamed have reappeared. The new shelf is still there but now some of the old names are back with a few books appearing on both. I DO NOT have synch enabled.

message 41: by ♡Karlyn P♡ (new)

♡Karlyn P♡ (KarLynP) | 371 comments Tracy wrote: "I just noticed that some of the shelves I renamed have reappeared. The new shelf is still there but now some of the old names are back with a few books appearing on both. I DO NOT have synch enabled."

Did you ever have synch enabled?

message 42: by Tracy (new)

Tracy | 32 comments I may have long ago but I don't now.

message 43: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) (last edited Oct 08, 2013 09:22PM) (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) (Gatadelafuente) | 37 comments I got this email, and I think it's a marketing ploy from GRs to keep people they are losing to BL.

I turned off the synch from Booklikes because it goes the opposite way from what I need and it was screwing up stuff I was posting on this site. If they fix it to go the other way around, I would probably turn the button back on.

message 44: by Petra X (new)

Petra X (PetraX) | 5937 comments I think you are right too. I had that problem for a long time. I'm glad they are now able to restore missing data so fast after their recent problems of not 'being able' to restore it at all.

message 45: by Lade (new)

Lade Tawak (deaduramilade) | 10 comments It may have something to do with this http://indie-publishing.blogspot.com/...

message 46: by Derrolyn (new)

Derrolyn Anderson Jennifer (It's a review, not a Hallmark card) wrote: "Please explain to me why it would be in Booklikes' best interests, as a small European start-up, to do something that might raise the ire of (and potentially, a lawsuit from) a large American mega-..."

Hahahaha! EXACTLY.

message 47: by Carola (new)

Carola (brilliantyears) | 181 comments I was one of the people who had books removed because I synced with BookLikes (also see this thread: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/... ). At first I was a bit suspicious because of the whole new policy-thing, but I do believe the problem is BL in this case. I just hope GR can restore my books, because I'm beginning to miss them on my shelves...
(I didn't receive the e-mail btw)

message 48: by Nia (Kantorka) (new)

Nia (Kantorka) (Kantorka) | 18 comments I did recive this email but haven't found anything missing (haven't searched wholeheartedly because I'm so pissed about all this). Rather two of my books from BLs have shown up here and so I have cut the connection after 24h because I don't want to add any important stuff of mine (ratings and reviews). GRs can build their content alone.
I'll wait and see what and if something will be restored.

message 49: by Carola (last edited Oct 09, 2013 02:31AM) (new)

Carola (brilliantyears) | 181 comments I made the mistake of synchronising BL with GR while I was still importing my .csv from GR. If something then goes wrong with the import and somehow BL removes books that it should have imported, I can see why the books are also removed on GR. What I'm saying is: in this situation I can see why it would all get a bit buggy.
(My other mistake was that I didn't read closely and thought it would sync GR -> BL (which would be fine if it was still importing) instead of the other way around.)

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) | 9 comments Derek (Guilty of thoughtcrime) wrote: "It can edit your reviews, it can't delete or modify a book, and it can't actually delete a review..."

If you change editions on booklikes and are synced (you have to opt-in under settings->import -- unlike following 25 random people it's not auto turned on) the review can move to a different edition. If editions of a book combined correctly, no worries. If not combined with other editions and strayed off by itself, review will move.

Other than that (and how very much of the import/export features at both sites are very dependent on isbn/ean field) -- I don't know really know anything or have a high level of trust in the current incarnation of goodreads or the new to me booklikes.

« previous 1 3