Children's Books discussion

Books for Specific Age-Groups > Article on Toddler Lit

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anna (new)

Anna (olive415) There is an interesting article on toddler lit over at Babble

http://www.babble.com/content/article...

I can totally relate to the rereading of the same book over and over and over.

message 2: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (rebeccabird) That's fabulous. I have an MA in Early Childhood Education and I can say that this "rereading" or "memorization" is such an important pre-literacy skill. We may go bonkers, but it's so incredibly wonderful for their little brain cells.

message 3: by ABC (new)

ABC (mary6543) | 341 comments Did you all read the Hating Maisy column? I know he was trying to be funny, but he was-uh-kind of overanalyzing it! lol I love Maisy. I love that she dresses in pants much of the time, but is a girl.

Before I ever had a kid, I got a book with drawings from the best illustrated kids' books. I made a lot of my buying decisions based on the pictures that I liked, and since I like the pictures so much I don't get tired of the books. Does that make sense?

message 4: by Anna (new)

Anna (olive415) I love that about Maisy too. I thought that his point in that article was more about how hard it is to be a parent. You're navigating all these pitfalls and somehow these little things, like reading Maisy for the umpteenth time, can make you feel like your head will explode.

message 5: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (mattsmama) Thanks for the link. We have a few of those books. But my son, age two, tends to deviate from the norm I guess.

He likes his Sesame Street books. And I got some of those "Ready-to-Read" books because they have characters that he knows in them. Like Go Diego Go, Thomas the train, Bob the Builder. Also books with real photos of animals are a big hit with him. THis week I found a level one book about Star Wars characters which is a HUGE hit with him.

His favorite board book was "I Love you Through and Through". He would always imitate the boy in the pictures.

message 6: by Emily (new)

Emily | 61 comments Did you read the Sandra Boynton article? I absolutely LOVE her! For those you with young children, be sure to get her books if you don't have them already. My personal favorites are Blue Hat, Green Hat, Moo, Baa, La La La and Hippos Go Berserk. I used to teach a toddler class and they LOVED them. Also, if you haven't heard any of her songs, you should totally check out her latest book & CD Blue Moo 15 All-New Jukebox Hits From Way Back Never. The songs are a riot. My preschoolers are obsessed with them, especially the first song, "Singing in the Shower." Oh, Sandra Boynton :)