TJEd discussion

What are the "Essentials" to study first?

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenni (new)

Jenni | 6 comments Samantha, I don't think I am a 'seasoned' TJEder, but I would highly recommend 'Little Britches' (did I see that you already read that?), and 'Man's Search for Meaning'. Two very different, but great books to start with.
What are other suggestions?

message 2: by Melinda (new)

Melinda | 9 comments I bought a copy of the Home Companion to TJEd (can't remember the exact name of the book). It's very good so far (not finished). Also, if you get your hands on them, there are some looseleaf articles:

Core and Love of Learning: A Recipe for Our Home by Rachel DeMille
Scholar Phase by Oliver DeMille
A Thomas Jefferson Education in Our Home by DeMilles

message 3: by Charyce (new)

Charyce (charycemcgregor) | 2 comments Mod
I would get your hands on every article that GWC puts out:
Core and Love of Learning
A Thomas Jefferson Education in Our Home
Transition to Scholar
Scholar Phase
A New Collection of Essays on Education

The Charlotte Mason Homeschooling approach has also been a great supplement. I especially love the series by Karen Andreola.
And the original writings of Charlotte Mason. SOOO in alignment with TJEd.

I would have to agree that Little Britches and The Chosen embody the idea of self-education.

I find myself taking all the good from everything I can get my hands on in order to help me make this more second nature.
I personally got all the CD's from GWC and I listen to them whenever I need a little boost of motivation!

message 4: by Jenni (new)

Jenni | 6 comments Another great book on self education is Louis L'Amour's self-biography "Education of a Wandering Man". I think that is the title. If it is not, I'll repost, but I read it for a college class, and really enjoyed it. It should be included IMNSHO.

message 5: by Melinda (new)

Melinda | 9 comments I keep waiting for _Laddie_ to show up at a yardsale or thrift store... The Lord has led me to so many great books that way that I often can't see any reason to actually go out and intentionally Buy a particular book. I own _The Education of a Wandering Man_ (yardsale) and _The Lonesome Gods_ (another yardsale).

message 6: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne hanks (shanks) | 1 comments Where did you find "The Book of Mormon as a Central Classic" by DeMille? I googled with no luck. I would love to hear this one!

message 7: by Celeste (new)

Celeste Batchelor (celestebatchelor) | 3 comments Oliver DeMille recently published a new book - "Leadership Education" - that I picked up at a local conference where he was the key note speaker. I consider this new book to be the key I needed to implement this method in our home.

message 8: by Melinda (new)

Melinda | 9 comments The book, _Leadership Education_, combines information from several of the articles Charyce listed. I have the book and some of the articles; they overlap a lot, but the book goes into more detail and is more polished, easier to follow. I agree that this book is well worth reading.

message 9: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (carolynt73) | 1 comments Samantha I am very interested or maybe I can go to the GWC web site and find it there.
The place I found that has a great idea where to start was www.tjed.org. This is a great resource. They will also send you regular updates to help keep you fired up about what you are doing.

message 10: by Myranda (new)

Myranda (myrandalh) | 9 comments Hey All,
just a couple of tidbits of info for those of you who may appreciate such things;-)

Oliver DeMille's talk "The Book of Mormon as the Central Classic" was given as a part one in 2003 and part two in 2004 -- but in reality, since about half the audience had not been present for part one, he sorta began again and they are each different, and both great to listen to. Joyce Kinmont (http://www.ldshea.org) plans to eventually have them available for resale (most likely download), but currently if you can get your hands on someone else's copy, that's the way;-) The article "Aristotle's Book of Mormon" was written to be a complete version on this subject (though one of his shortest articles, at only 13 pages), and was available at the conference both years -- but has been tricky to find these days. I spoke to the folks at the GWC bookstore (http://bookstore.gwythe.com/) just this morning, and though they didn’t have it listed at the site, the bookstore *does* carry it. (They had to do a bit of searching for me!) It is $6.00 and you’ll need to ask for it specifically. Keep in mind that they have about a $6 s&h fee, so it would be best to order when you have a few other things on your list, or if you have others to do a group order with;-)

Also, Rachel DeMille's article on "A TJEd in Our Home" was written to go with the talk she gave at the LDS-HEA conference in 2001. Again a great talk, and different from the article, as she and Oliver stood at the microphone together. And again if you can get someone else's copy, go for it;-) That article is also $6.00 from GWC. I don't recall if any of this one is included in the Leadership Education book...
(Note, these are their two shortest articles, and thus half the price of the others you may have seen.)

Happy Journeying!

message 11: by Myranda (new)

Myranda (myrandalh) | 9 comments Small correction -- Oliver's talk to LDS-HEA "The Book of Mormon as the Central Classic" was in 2002 and 2003 (my brain just it shifted forward a year;-P)

message 12: by Leslie (new)

Leslie (leslierae) | 1 comments I would suggest reading the Lonesome Gods by Louis L'Amour. It gives great examples of mentoring as well as finding your own mission in life and pursuing it.

message 13: by Tiff (new)

Tiff | 2 comments I have really enjoyed doing the 5 pillar program through GWC. It has helped me move from a beginner TJ Ed person to a little more advanced. It's lovely to have the next awesome book lined up for me without having to search around. You can look at the 5 pillar list on the website:
http://www.gw.edu/seminars/pillar_cer...