Beyond Reality discussion

General - Group Business > Free raffle to win a Janny Wurts novel!

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stefan, Group Founder + Moderator (Retired) (new)

Stefan (sraets) | 1667 comments Mod
Hi everyone,

As some of you maybe noticed, Janny Wurts - author of many novels including "Sorcerer's Legacy", which almost won the last fantasy poll - recently joined our group. Janny was very excited and flattered that her novel came extremely close to winning the run-off poll.

As an "astonished thank you for their kindness in putting up to their vote a very long ago novel I thought was completely forgotten" (in Janny's words), she has very graciously offered a signed hardcover copy of her novel To Ride Hell's Chasm as a prize to one lucky member of the group!

Here's how it works: I've just created a poll here. To enter the raffle, all you have to do is cast your vote in the poll! The contest will be open until June 15th. On that date, I'll assign a random number to each entry, then ask Janny to pick a number, and whoever has the correct one wins! (Note: the winner will need to send me their full name and mailing address so Janny can send out the book.)

If you'd like more info about Janny Wurts and her novels (several of which are in the process of being re-released), please check out her website or her GoodReads profile.

Enjoy!

Stefan

message 2: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) Awesome! It's so much fun to get to talk to authors about their books & get signed copies. Wish I'd had a chance with Wagner & Zelazny. Have you seen what some of their unsigned, used books are going for?

message 3: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new)

Kathi | 3315 comments Mod
How fun! Thanks, Ms. Wurts, for a great opportunity!

message 4: by Kerry (new)

Kerry (rocalisa) | 487 comments Thank you Ms Wurts, for such a lovely giveaway. I hope you enjoy the group - there's lots of great discussion here. I remember reading Sorcerer's Legacy many years ago (after reading the Cycle of Fire books about the time they came out) and enjoying it. It may even still be down on my bookshelves downstairs.

message 5: by Janny (last edited Jun 04, 2009 09:08AM) (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 1003 comments Oh, help! For goodness sakes, Janny, please, no MS Wurts, I'm (hopefully) not that stuffy! Just, really, a rabid reader who liked books too much to do 'boring work.'

I am already enjoying your group, I will certainly post where I have something meaningful to jump in with - or at least share titles I like.

It's delightful to see the older titles I'd thought long lost and forgotten are remembered here. HarperCollins, London is just now returning nine of my titles to North America, releasing them at intervals throughout this year and next - this deal was finished the instant I had the rights back in hand to negotiate, after a long and difficult wait.

Here's the inside story on the raffle book To Ride Hell's Chasm - just how it came to be written, if anyone is curious.

I had never, ever intended to write my Light and Shadows series novels, one after the next, because of their extreme intensity. The publisher had other ideas. This led to a mild tussle, year upon year, each time I turned them in - couldn't I PLEASE do a one-off?

Big series being what they are (even ones planned with great intricacy, over decades, where the author knows where they are going) get stamped, sometimes, as "never ending stories" due to some that - well, haven't. The author of ones that Do End, and Are On Track, often get blacked with the rest. I got a little miffed - said with a grin - that some reviewers said I could not bring a story to closure. Hah.

When I finished Peril's Gate, I was emotionally pooped, period. I drew the line. My next would be a standalone, before I ramped the series books into the third arc's finale.

To Ride Hell's Chasm is that book. I decided (as usual) to take a 'convention' and turn it on its ear. The theme of "missing princess" who has the perfect life - disappearing on the night of her picture perfect betrothal, and wring that classical picture quite inside out. The story begins as a mystery, digs straight into a hotbed political intrigue, and winds up with hard edged action adventure. It was a roller-coaster to write - came out faster than I could pen the words. The most insoluble problem in the story - well - truthfully - I lay awake night after night wondering "how am I gonna get the characters to pull off THIS one?" - Didn't know until I got there, and probably you won't either.

The happy winner will recognize the scene.

Anyone else who's disappointed can get the mass market edition, coming this summer.

THIS copy is a full cloth, library quality edition, with a full color frontispiece of my British cover painting for the hardback - yes, I do my own cover illustration, except for a couple of titles, early on.

This is a fun and erudite group, and Stefan is owed thanks for managing this raffle.

The curious can find a reading of 3 chapters in MP3 for free download on my site, or, on site, a text excerpt of the first chapter. Enjoy!

message 6: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) Janny wrote: "..."how am I gonna get the characters to pull off THIS one?" ..."

I just finished The Master of Whitestorm & he was always winding up in impossible situations. Excellent read! I can't wait to read this one.

message 7: by Chris (new)

Chris  (haughtc) I'm definitely intrigued....I'm starting The Curse of the Mistwraith soon for the Fantasy Book group and looking forward to it. And this one looks great too...

message 8: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (sisimka) Thank you for the generous offer. We've been really lucky in this group with author participation. Being able to chat with an author enriches a reader's experience so much!

message 9: by Stefan, Group Founder + Moderator (Retired) (new)

Stefan (sraets) | 1667 comments Mod
Hi everyone!

We had a total of 21 entries in this free raffle. I jumbled them up, randomly assigned them a number from 1 to 21, and asked Janny to pick a number between 1 and 21.

And the winner of the free raffle is... Chris Ethier! Congratulations, Chris!

Thanks everyone for playing. I hope we'll be able to have some more of these raffles in the future.

Stefan

message 10: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (sisimka) Congratulations Chris!

message 11: by Christine (new)

Christine (chrisarrow) Thanks to Stefan and Janny Wurts.

And Sisimka as well.

message 12: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandikal) | 338 comments Congratulations, Chris!

message 13: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (seeford) Congratulations Chris!

message 14: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 1003 comments Congratulations, Chris, your prize book is on the way, well packed, by Media Mail.

I hope you enjoy the story and the characters as much as I did in the writing. This one is my husband's favorite, of them all. Fair warning: DON'T read the ending bits if you intend to keep a schedule.

If there are any glum faces - I understand that Amazon USA is (apparently) shipping the mass market edition early.

THANK YOU to everyone here for your participation and enthusiasm.

message 15: by Ron (new)

Ron (ronbacardi) | 302 comments Curses--foiled again (smiley face, wink, twirl of mustachioes). Thanks for offering the raffle, Janny, and yes the mmpb will find a place here.

message 16: by Christine (new)

Christine (chrisarrow) Sounds like the ending bits would be the perfect excuse not to grade papers. :)

Thanks.

message 17: by Christine (new)

Christine (chrisarrow) Janny,

The book came today. It's my next read. I have to say, I love the artwork on the jacket, esp. the horses on the back.

message 18: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 1003 comments Chris - Thank you! Delighted to hear the book arrived safely. Hang on for a wild ride!