Ms. Rosevear's Sophomore English Class discussion

Was Winston shot at the end of the book?

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mallory (new)

Mallory K | 5 comments At the end of the book it is not clear if Winston is actually shot or if he is just anticipating for this to happen. Which way do you think Orwell wanted you to interpret the ending?

message 2: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Park | 6 comments Personally, I think it was metaphorically told saying that Winston was shot. I believe that it was more of his conciousness that was shot dead rather than his physical being

message 3: by Marissa (new)

Marissa | 5 comments i think that he could have wanted people to interpret it in a number of ways. the way i interpreted it is that he was shot. throughout the book Winston knows that he will die, so if he does not it makes the book have an unfinished ending. i think that he is shot, and the last paragraph is what he is thinking about just as he dies. and it shows how he has thoroughly changed.

message 4: by Ayelet (new)

Ayelet Talby | 5 comments In my opinion, Orwell left it open to our imagination to interpret whether or not Winston is shot at the end. I think that Orwell purposely left us thinking so that there wouldn't be a definite ending to the book. Also, like we said in class, i don't think it particularly matters if Winston was literaly shot because mentally he was already dead. I think that Orwell did not want the emphasis to be on Winston's physical death, but rather on what had mentally happened to him by the end of the book.

message 5: by Ben (new)

Ben | 5 comments I dont think that Winston was shot because the whole book is based on torture not death really. Orwell makes us think a lot throughout the book so he wouldnt make it that obvious the he was just killed. I aggree with andrew that winston's conciousness of shot dead.