The Next Best Book Club discussion

Looking For Recommendations > Civil Wedding Readings

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alice (new)

Alice (aliceg) | 254 comments My brother has asked for me to do a reading at his wedding with his 7 year old son. I think that we are going to read The Owl and the Pussycat as I think it's a lovely poem and really fits.

He has also asked my mum if she could do a reading. We're trying to find something that isn't some soppy poem but are finding it a bit tricky. Something out of a novel would be great. It's a civil wedding so can't be religious.

I have found one site which has given an extract from Tuesdays with Morrie which I quite like. There is also one in Captain Correlli's Mandolin which is everywhere but that was read at my other brother's wedding so am wanting to avoid that. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Cheers,

Alice x

message 2: by Charity (last edited Jun 02, 2009 05:12AM) (new)

Charity (charityross) Alice,

Here are some that might do the trick: Wedding Readings from Books and Novels and Wedding Readings from Shakespeare. My sister is also getting married in a few months, so I'm in the same boat, looking for readings. I really think your idea to do a reading from literature is a great one!

message 3: by Mandy (new)

Mandy I think I found some of my wedding vows here in Secret Mothers' Business again (a few good passages here and there but this book is quite a drag really). This couple are just over 40, been together 8 years and have two children, they ended up getting married after 8 years and this is how she described it:

Our marriage was in honour of the history of our stamina, loyalty and the resilience of our partnership, not a wishful white weddinged grope into the future.

Words like these make me feel my wedding will be special after all this time together.

message 4: by Alice (new)

Alice (aliceg) | 254 comments Hey thanks guys. The wedding readings from books and novels link charity was great. There was one I hadn't come across before which I liked from The Irrational Season by Madeleine L'engle. I've emailed it to mum! Any other suggestions will be welcomed I'm sure!

message 5: by GracieKat (new)

GracieKat | 864 comments There's a great quote in Anne's House of Dreams. It's short so I don't know if it would work but here it is just the same (it would probably work if you change a few names):

"She was his at last, this evasive, long-sought Anne, won after years of patient waiting. It was to him she was coming in the sweet surrender of the bride. Was he worthy of her? Could he make her as happy as he hoped? If he failed her-if he could not measure up to her standard of manhood-then, as she held out her hand, their eyes met and all doubt was swept away in a glad certainty. They belonged to each other; and no matter what life might hold for them, it could never alter that. Their happiness was in each other's keeping and both were unafraid.

message 6: by Beth (new)

Beth I found this some time back and have always thought it was quite fitting of a civil wedding, I read it to my girlfriend and she loved it!

Balloon
by Graeme King

I think that I might fly away, in my hot air balloon,
And hide from worldly worries on the dark side of the moon;
There’s but one thing I need before I float into the blue:
I need a sky companion and I want it to be you.
We’ll fly beyond the storm clouds and we’ll watch from up above,
I’ll cover you in rainbows as we feel each other’s love;
You’ll shower in the stars at midnight in our special place,
I’ll dry you with a comet’s tail and kiss your beaming face.
Dreamy drifting panorama, changing every day,
Every night your loving smile will be my milky way,
The moon will wane before us, sailing there in heaven’s height,
For nothing else can challenge our love’s everlasting light.
Venus shining on us, glowing soft at our devotion,
Our daily drifting dalliance in love’s celestial ocean,
I’ll write you lover’s poetry, and you will be my muse,
Orion and Andromeda will oversee our cruise.
We’ll sleep with clouds as pillows, maybe steal an angel’s wings,
Then fly as magic lovebirds, or slide round Saturn’s rings,
And should we tire of drifting and the stars all floating by,
We’ll hook onto a meteor and soar across the sky.
Will you consent to be my mate on our celestial ship?
I’m ready, heart all packed with love, to last us for the trip,
Take my hand and step aboard, we’re heading for the sun,
We’re flying till we find the place where our two souls are one.