Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Melodie's May Reads

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3644 comments I read 14 books in May. Crappy month at work, so my books made for great escape material.

The Vampire Shrink: 1st in series. The heroine is a psychologist in Denver who is conseling a goth-type teenage girl who wants to be a vampire. Since, of course, vampires don't exist and this girl is delusional the vamps come out of the woodwork. All in all pretty hokey, but it was fun. Grade: 7

Blue Twilight A Rachel Porter Mystery: I hadn't read one of these in awhile so I dug this one out. Not a bad story. Black market sellers taking endangered butterfly species in the Bay area. I like this series and the heroine. Grade: 7.5

The Way Home: It's Pelecanos, which pretty much says it all as far as I'm concerned! Grade: 9.5

Dead and Gone: New Sookie Stackhouse and it was definitely a "can't-put-it-down" for me. I can't wait to see where this is going! Grade: 9.5

Stargazer: 2nd in YA Evernight series and a page turner for me. I like this series and all the main characters. Grade: 8.5

Chasing the Bear A Young Spenser Novel: A young Spenser novel and I can't decided for sure whether it will be a series or not. VERY quick read and would have liked it much better if not for Susan! Spenser is telling her a story about when he was growing up in WY with his dad & uncles. Grade: 5

Starvation Lake A Mystery: A recommend from Cheryl and a really good read. If you like hockey mixed in with your mysteries, you'll like this one! Grade: 9

Might As Well Laugh About It Now: I like Marie Osmond, but this book was a waste of time. Nice commercial for NutriSystem was part of the story. Glad I got this extra cheap and got all my money back & then some on eBay! Grade: 4

The Spellman Files: 1st in series and just not my thing. Or else I just wasn't in the mood for it. Grade: 5

Killer Cuts: Newest in Dead-End-Jobs series and a pretty good read. Helen is working at a high-end beauty salon when a client's groom ends up murdered on the wedding day. The groom is a sleazeball gossip columnist and the list of suspects is endless. Grade: 8.5

Bad to the Bone: 2nd in WVMP series and a great read! Love Ciara and all the vamp DJs! In this one a fanatic group is out to get the station off the air by pirating their signal. Grade: 9

Undead and Unwelcome: Newest Betsy, Queen of the Vampires and a pretty weak offering. This series has seriously gone down hill. Grade: 6

Once Dead, Twice Shy: 1st in new YA Madison Avery series. Madison is dead, but because she stole a reaper's amulet she is still walking around and is alive as far as anyone can tell. I liked this a lot better than Kim Harrison's Rachel Morgan series and will try the next one even though this one got so twisted up that it was very hard to keep track of who was lying to who and why. Grade: 7

Dog on It A Chet and Bernie Mystery: 1st in new series. Love the way this is told from the dog's point of view! Grade: 8

message 2: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14971 comments Melodie:
Thanks for commenting on your books read, especially these: Undead and Unwelcome - I have thought the Betsy Queen of the Vampires series was getting pretty shallow and silly lately, sorry it didn't get any better this time. The Spellman Files I though the first Spellman book was a hoot, but haven't read more yet. I was in the mood for the humor I think. Starvation Lake A Mystery Thanks for the reminder! Dead and GoneThis is my "next up" book!! The Way Home I didn't get to the last Pelecanos (The Turnaround) yet, I hate to be two behind...

Melodie wrote: "I read 14 books in May. Crappy month at work, so my books made for great escape material.
Undead and Unwelcome: Newest Betsy, Queen of the Vampires and a pretty weak offering. This series has seriously gone down hill. Grade: 6
The Spellman Files: 1st in series and just not my thing. Or else I just wasn't in the mood for it. Grade: 5
Starvation Lake A Mystery: A recommend from Cheryl and a really good read. If you like hockey mixed in with your mysteries, you'll like this one! Grade: 9
The Way Home: It's Pelecanos, which pretty much says it all as far as I'm concerned! Grade: 9.5
Dead and Gone: New Sookie Stackhouse and it was definitely a "can't-put-it-down" for me. I can't wait to see where this is going! Grade: 9.5
"

message 3: by Susie (new)

Susie Fevella (susieinks) | 1653 comments Melodie ~ Glad I'm not the only one who didn't care for the Spellman Files. I just couldn't get attached to any of the characters. I enjoyed the Chet and Bernie book too!

message 4: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3789 comments Susie in KS wrote: "Melodie ~ Glad I'm not the only one who didn't care for the Spellman Files. I just couldn't get attached to any of the characters. I enjoyed the Chet and Bernie book too!"

the spellman files didn't do it for me, either.

message 5: by Marcy (new)

Marcy | 865 comments I also couldn't get enthused about The Spellman Files. I think I quit after about 50 pages.