Young Adult Book Reading Challenges discussion

The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)
This topic is about The Hunger Games
The Hunger Game Discussions > Games influence

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Vicki Peeta stated that he did not want the games to turn him into a monster, he wanted to die as himself. Do you feel that being a contender in these games changed any of the major characters? What kind of influence did the games have on them?

message 2: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 5 stars

Angie | 2687 comments Mod
Oh I am use the game changed some of the characters. First off there are the career players. Spoiler: I think when they lost their food supply that really made them desperate. Those characters were so used to getting what they wanted that it probably really made them change who they are. I guess that the players are probably not shocked at the violence like we the readers are but that is because they have to watch it every year.

Matt Gibson (lone_wulf) | 12 comments I also thought whie reading that Katniss was being forced to change through playing the hunger games, such as when she and Gail went hunting in the forest, she wouldn't dream of ever killing a human, where as in the thick of the game, she was thinking what was the fastest way to kill those who stood in her way of vistory.

message 4: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 5 stars

I wonder is Katniss self-sacrificing because of her love for Prim or because she doesn’t believe her life is really worth anything? What do you guys think?

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) I did think it was for Prim. I'm thinking of her reaction when Prim was selected and also she did try pretty hard to avoid being killed.

message 6: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 5 stars

I almost thought she didn't believe her life was worth much but Prim's life is. I think she started to feel that way because she was becoming more of a parent to Prim. I always hear parents would do anything for their kids (I don't have any kids). Or the only thing her life was good for was providing food for her family.

Jess (jessysbookends) | 27 comments I think Katniss sacrifice herself out of love for Prim. All she does is for Prim's safety and wellness, but she is not her mother. I wish she could have seen that during the book and how important is for her to stop being the mother and the provider. I know she loves her sister and feels the necessity to protect her, but her mother has to be responsible and take care of her daughters, not the other way around.

Vicki I would say initially I thought it had to do with her assumed role of Prim's caretaker. Almost everything she had done was with her in mind and this was the most natural step. There wasn't a doubt in my mind she would step up. However, I can see in her thoughts that she perceives Prim as more special than her. She feels as if she was merely tolerated in the presence of her sister. I can see both sides of it.

Jess (jessysbookends) | 27 comments Yeah,Vicky you and Angie got a point about how Katniss perceives herself. She perceives her sister as more special and more deserving of a life.

message 10: by Nicole (last edited Jun 06, 2009 04:32PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nicole | 72 comments I believe she loved her sister more than anyone else, and she made this very clear. She had the responsibility of caring for Prim all of her life, and just could'nt bear to let anything happen to her. I agree with Angie and Vicki on this one too though she knew Prim was so fragile and delicate and everyone loved her, while she was just... Katniss. She thought that the loss of Prim would be more of a loss than the loss of herself.

message 11: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 5 stars

I think this happens to us a lot. We forget that we are valuable. Katniss is actually extremely important not only to her family but to the whole District.

Nicole | 72 comments I think Katniss finally began to realize this when she began the games and all the people from her district really wanted her to win.