Romance Readers Reading Challenges discussion

Love Is Never Past Tense...
This topic is about Love Is Never Past Tense...
Ask An Author, Win A Book Corner > AC: Janna Yeshanova of Love Is Never Past Tense... (Oct. 16-17)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 66 (66 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Fran, Moderator (last edited Oct 15, 2013 04:24AM) (new) - added it

Fran | 11276 comments Janna Yeshanova ,a Romance, Historical Fiction,and Contemporary author, will be joining us for a Q&A and book giveaway, October 16 - October 17, 2013.

Meet Janna:

Originally from the former Soviet Union, Janna Yeshanova escaped to the United States when persecution became violent during the crumbling of the Soviet state. Arriving in the United States with her mother and daughter in tow, $126 in her pocket and knowing not a soul, Janna’s talent and experiences have helped her become a high end organizational training and development professional. Her exodus story is included in the book.

Founder and principal of Life-Spark, LLC, Janna is a dynamic and powerful life coach, premier trainer and motivational speaker. She leverages her passion and engaging style to help others to overcome adversity and spark the possibilities of their lives.

Love Is Never Past Tense... was published first in Russia and Ukraine in 2009, and is now available in English. It is a fascinating adventurous romance based on a true story.

Twitter Username: NeverPastTense

Book: Love Is Never Past Tense... by Janna Yeshanova Love Is Never Past Tense...

About the book.....

A whirlwind romance on a romantic Black Sea beach turns into a quick marriage for Serge and Janna, only to have family, fate and foolishness tear them apart. If that weren't enough, the politics of post-Soviet Russia puts them on different continents. Never quite coming together, never quite letting go, their lives overlap and entwine as years progress.

Beneath the adventure and romance is a deeper story of achieving your dreams regardless of obstacles placed on your way. Janna Yeshanova draws on her own life to illustrate courage, persistence, determination in overcoming adversity.

This book is a story of true love, adventure, and suspense told by the enamored themselves. The story is about events seen through a prism of years lived separately and again lived together. It not only forces the reader to empathize with the heroes, but wakens the most gentle, innermost part of one’s soul and provides an answer to an eternal question – what makes life worth living?

This is why, when you regretfully turn the last page, you understand: if you do not love and you are not loved, life is not real – it’s missing that which makes your soul hurt and fly, cry and laugh, your heart sing or bleed profusely. Those who love will understand it. Those who don’t, will envy our heroes and will want to fall hopelessly in love.

Giveaway: Janna will be giving away 3 ebook copies of Love Is Never Past Tense.... This giveaway is open to everyone.

message 2: by Fran, Moderator (last edited Oct 16, 2013 04:29AM) (new) - added it

Fran | 11276 comments Welcome Janna, it's a pleasure having you with us!

I hope you enjoy your time with our members; and good luck to you all!

GUIDELINES FOR AUTHOR AND PARTICIPANTS:

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Members, if you can please write the questions in bold; it would be easier for Janna to know that you have asked a question and less chance that it will be missed. Thanks!

In order to bold-

Place < b > before the question you have for Janna and < /b > after the question. Make sure there are no spaces.

message 3: by Fran, Moderator (new) - added it

Fran | 11276 comments *

Janna (jannayeshanova) | 40 comments Love Is Never Past Tense... by Janna Yeshanova
Love Is Never Past Tense with the new Cover edition.

I am happy to share the book with a new cover that everybody loves! I received great comments on it! I look forward to talking with you about the cover, the book and anything else I am able to! :)on the 16th and 17th of October! :)

Janna Yeshanova

message 6: by Sara (new) - added it

Sara Bunch (sarabunch) | 6 comments What made you decide to start writing?

message 7: by Rishika (new)

Rishika | 136 comments When did you start writing?

Janna (jannayeshanova) | 40 comments Sara! Hi! Good morning!

Life! Life made me to start writing! Everybody has a story. Everybody has a book they could write. Once I felt that for me it was very important to share what's going on with everybody! With the whole world! :)

message 9: by Karen (last edited Oct 16, 2013 06:15AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Karen Prince | 4 comments I loved your NBC Channel 4 video and I have started to read "Love is Never Past Tense." which I am thoroughly enjoying. What I would like to know most of all is Did you leave a lot of family and friends in Russia and if so, are you able to communicate with them via Skype and the various social media platforms out there, or have you lost touch?

Janna (jannayeshanova) | 40 comments Hi Rishika!

I started writing in high school, but nobody knew about it, and I did not even classify my writing as writing. Later on, when the notes piled up, I realized that something significant may come out of this.

message 11: by Janna (last edited Oct 16, 2013 06:19AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Janna (jannayeshanova) | 40 comments Hi Everybody! :)

It's a rainy day in Ohio, but it's so beautiful! I am looking forward to talking with you, and I am waiting for your questions. Just to worm up the conversation, here is an excerpt from the book:

The first time he saw her, he silently followed her for a long time. She walked along easily, shifting her long, rather well-proportioned legs. Her thin leather skirt swung from side to side, barely hiding her shapely hips. A green blouse tightly covered her beautifully straight back. All the while, Serge followed her like she was a vision, lacking the courage to come closer or to back away. He knew that making her acquaintance was a long shot; she was simply out of his league. How could he possibly know that she, a complete stranger, would inexplicably impact his life and be with him forever, whether she was at his side or not?

Janna Yeshanova (2013-04-19T04:00:00+00:00). Love Is Never Past Tense... (Kindle Locations 81-87). Life-Spark, LLC. Kindle Edition.

Janna (jannayeshanova) | 40 comments Hi Karen! It's great to have you here! :) Yes, I left all my family in Russia. At that time the Soviet Union still existed. So, I had my daughter and my Mom with me, and as you, maybe know, the government at that time allowed to exchange from rubles only $126.00. This what I had. Here I did not know anybody. And I made it. So, this means, that everybody who has a goal can make it!
In my memory, shimmers my last evening of swimming laps in the open air pool. It is dark outside. Piles of snow are all over. My trainer, Nina, is shivering in her winter coat. She looks down at the swimmers. Suddenly, I feel like sharing with her my decision. “Nina, I am leaving tomorrow. Today is my last day.”

“Where are you going? You like this swimming pool so much. You won’t find a better one. This one is so close to your home.”

“Nina, I am not changing pools. I am changing countries.”

“What will you do there? Where will you go? You don’t know anyone in the world.”

“Nina, I will train and teach, same as I do here.” I knew I would not betray my hope!

Janna Yeshanova (2013-04-19T04:00:00+00:00). Love Is Never Past Tense... (Kindle Locations 2313-2320). Life-Spark, LLC. Kindle Edition.

All my friends remained there. I was the first who got the opportunity to go. Later, all my friends left too. Yes, we are in touch. Also, our kids are in touch. Most of them are in Germany, Israel, some are in France. Skype, email telephone with a colling card supports my connection with them. We are still sharing and if needed advising with each other. Sometimes, we are comparing our experiences that now are different. I think that people are united by mutual goals, identical vision. We are united by our precious past.

Janna (jannayeshanova) | 40 comments Karen, my experience of Russia is in Love Is Never Past Tense...

Travis Luedke (twluedke) | 7 comments Have you every considered having your book done as a script to pitch to filmmakers?

message 15: by Rishika (new)

Rishika | 136 comments Tell me some tips of how you write and how it all began?

Janna (jannayeshanova) | 40 comments O Yes, Travis! I did! Everybody who reads the book says that they see a movie.

I also want to share with you a little story related to Love Is Never Past Tense. Two years ago, when the book was not yet published, I was flying after my seminar from Philadelphia, PA. On my lap, I had a proof copy of the book. I was scanning the lines, double checking for mistakes.

Next to me was sitting a man who asked me what I was reading and I told him. He asked me to show him the book. I gave it to him and he started reading it and did not give it back to me until we landed in Chicago.

He was a PhD graduate from Yale. He handed me his business card and asked me to let him know when the book was published. He said he wanted to buy it. I took the card and sent him the book as a gift. After he finished it, he called me and said that he sees a great movie created from this book.

A year later he and his wife organized a huge event with presentation of Love Is Never Past Tense. They flew me to Omaha, offered me a great hotel, place an article in a local newspaper!

As a matter of fact, this January, I am going the Sundance festival in Park City, Utah. I hope to make some connections with the people from the movie industry. :)

Janna (jannayeshanova) | 40 comments Rishika, "How It All Began..." is the first chapter of the book. :) I do not want to give it away right now not to spoil your impression of reading the book :)

Karen Prince | 4 comments Wow! That must have been scary; leaving Russia with so little money and not knowing anyone, but here you are, so many years later with a successful life coaching business and an author as well!

I come from a small African country where most of my friends and family left and scattered themselves all over the world so I know the value of Skype.

You say you started off training and teaching and you are doing it still with your life coaching, were most of your friends able to keep up the same careers they trained for in Russia, or did they have to start all over again and learn something else?

Karen Prince | 4 comments If you want to pitch your book as a movie I just happened to stumble upon this blog which looks very interesting. http://www.moviepitch.com/

Janna (jannayeshanova) | 40 comments Yes, Karen, :) all my friends kept their carriers. Those who where doctors they had to prove their degrees again. Those who were engineers , they became engineers in their new places. It's that simple? Is that difficult? A guy who was a sculptor who lives in Germany continues his talented work there as well. A friend who was a theater director does the same work at a local theater South of France.

I had a degree in Russian Language and Literature. I went back to school and got another MA in totally different field. It's Applied Behavioral Science.

Some information on this is on my business website www.life-spark.com :)

Janna (jannayeshanova) | 40 comments Thank you, Karen the blog address. I'll defiantly will go through it. Thank you! Thank you! :)

Travis Luedke (twluedke) | 7 comments And hey, for those of you who want to catch a copy of LOVE IS NEVER PAST TENSE, there is a giveaway, right here:

▼ENTER RAFFLECOPTER GIVEAWAY▼
http://thenightlifeseries.blogspot.com/

message 23: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (new)

~KarenH~ | 7877 comments Hi Janna, thank you for taking the time to answer our questions! I'm looking forward to reading your book, it sounds fascinating, and the fact that it's based on true events makes it even more interesting.

When reading strictly for pleasure, what is your favorite genre? Are there any authors who are "must reads" for you?

Janna (jannayeshanova) | 40 comments Karen! Hi! What a great question!

I like reading books with a lot of psychology, love detective stories, love books that make you think about them when you flip to the last page, books that help you compare your life with the literary heroes about whom you just read. I like history!

It's hard for me to say what authors are "must read" authors. I think classic authors are very important to read. It's important to read international authors, because you can realize how people think, how they see things through a different prism and see the world under a different angle.

When I was 20, I got into a book “ИУмереть Некогда”. I would translate it as “There Is No Time To Die” by Paul Vialar. He is popular in Europe, but I never saw an English translation. I have been thinking about this book my whole life. I came back to it in 2012. When I started reading it, I thought that having my life experience now, the book will have a different influence on me. Not at all. It had the same effect. I loved it again. I may reread it sometime later too, to remind myself that I should live in the moment. We live often in the past or in the future, and we do not realize that “Now”, a very powerful “Now”, does exist. Very soon this “Now” becomes the past. Then, we try to change it, but it’s too late. I am not implying that we should not learn from the past. Not at all. But then, why won't we live in the present moment and change it and enjoy it while it’s possible? No blame, no regret, just enjoyment and appreciation of every bit of it.

Janna (jannayeshanova) | 40 comments Please let me know, Karen, what you think about Love Is Never Past Tense, when you finish it. :) Did you see the trailer?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quPSNk...
:)

Travis Luedke (twluedke) | 7 comments Have you had a chance to catch any Russian reader's reactions to your novel?

message 27: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (new)

~KarenH~ | 7877 comments Thanks, Janna! I'm not sure exactly when I'll be reading your book, but I hope to fit it in sometime in the next month or so! Unfortunately I haven't had a chance to watch the trailer - my internet access is too slow to handle videos. One of the joys of living in the middle of nowhere...current technology hasn't found us yet! :D

Janna (jannayeshanova) | 40 comments They love it, Travis. They are saying that they are surviving again all the events described in the book.

Janna (jannayeshanova) | 40 comments ~KarenH~ wrote: "Thanks, Janna! I'm not sure exactly when I'll be reading your book, but I hope to fit it in sometime in the next month or so! Unfortunately I haven't had a chance to watch the trailer - my intern..."

I see, Karen! To live in the middle of nowhere is my dream! :)

message 30: by Fran, Moderator (last edited Oct 16, 2013 02:30PM) (new) - added it

Fran | 11276 comments Welcome Janna!

How long did it take you to write Love Is Never Past Tense...? Did you write an outline first or just dive right into the story?

Janna (jannayeshanova) | 40 comments Fran wrote: "Welcome Janna!

How long did it take you to write Love Is Never Past Tense...? Did you write an outline first or just dive right into the story?"

Hi Fran! Thanks for stopping by!

I was and I am a life coach and a leadership trainer. I was teaching at Antioch University in Yellow Springs in Ohio as well for a long while. Back in Russia, I was an editor and I also was teaching Russian Language and Literature at a university.

Suddenly, I realized that I had a bunch of pages coming out of my feather—sorry—not from my computer keyboard. First, they showed up on paper. Then, when I saw so many pages, I thought that they can become a book. This is what happened.

When people say that I am an internationally published author, I want to ask: "Who? Me?”

Janna (jannayeshanova) | 40 comments Janna wrote: "Fran wrote: "Welcome Janna!

How long did it take you to write Love Is Never Past Tense...? Did you write an outline first or just dive right into the story?"

Hi Fran! Thanks for stopping by!

..."

The book started by itself years ago. This became the first half. The other half of it It was finished in a couple of months.

message 33: by Tina Theresa (new)

Tina Theresa | 255 comments Thank you Janna for taking the time to answer questions. Love is Never Past Tense sounds interesting. Your story is just as fascinating.

Are you working on another book right now? What is your writing schedule like? Do you write everyday or when you feel like it?

message 34: by Patrice (last edited Oct 16, 2013 05:49PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Patrice (njbooklover) Hi Janna - Welcome! I love all the questions and your insightful answers. I have always enjoyed reading and first got into the "novel" when I was in junior high and began reading gothic novels, especially those written under the names Victoria Holt and Phillipa Carr (one in the same - Eleanor Hibbert). I think those stories cemented my love of historical romance novels. I do not believe I have read any of your books... YET. Based on the comments here and the "trailer" I am definitely going to look for your work and read it. Thank you for coming out to join in the Goodreads community.

Oh, I should add that my daughter and her cousin are penning their own novels and are going to take part in the NANOWRIMO in November. Any words of wisdom I could pass along to them to help them in their endeavors?

message 35: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 20725 comments Hi Janna - welcome to our group :)

From your outlined background I'm guessing that English is not your first language - did this present a significant challenge in the construction of your novel? And do your have any plans to publish it in Russian?

Janna (jannayeshanova) | 40 comments Jane (PS) wrote: "Hi Janna - welcome to our group :)

From your outlined background I'm guessing that English is not your first language - did this present a significant challenge in the construction of your novel? ..."

Hi Jane!

Thanks for your warm welcome! That's right! English is not my native language. It's my third language. :) My native language is Russian. The book was first written and published in Russian, and the thought of translating it was very natural and simple. When the translation started I was horrified. I could not find right idioms, that would carry the same weight of the words. I felt if I deviate from translating the details that one can feel, will betray my book. I wanted to preserve and convey the juice of the language that expresses environment, relationships, jokes, and everything else that we live in.

I worked with several editors. My Russian book was on my lap and we were going sentence by sentence through it. At that time I had a feeling that they all hated me simultaneously. :) Two of them were native English speakers with PhDs in English.

After the editorial work was over, the manuscript was read by many people from different professions, different ages, educational level, and when I realized that they love the book, I decided that it was time to publish it.

I am admitting that to translate and edit the book was much harder then to write it in Russian.

message 37: by P.J. (new) - added it

P.J. LaRue Hi Janna,

Your book sounds wonderful. It is next on my to be read list.

Janna (jannayeshanova) | 40 comments Jane (PS) wrote: "Hi Janna - welcome to our group :)

From your outlined background I'm guessing that English is not your first language - did this present a significant challenge in the construction of your novel? ..."

Tina Theresa wrote: "Thank you Janna for taking the time to answer questions. Love is Never Past Tense sounds interesting. Your story is just as fascinating.

Are you working on another book right now? What is your wr..."

Tina Theresa wrote: "Thank you Janna for taking the time to answer questions. Love is Never Past Tense sounds interesting. Your story is just as fascinating.

Hi Tina,

I saw you question yesterday after I was near the computer for almost 10 hours. I wanted to reply, but I couldn't say a word - I was so tired! I was pleasantly tired answering questions of the guests who came to visit. I had such a great day! I am looking forward for a great day today as well.

Back to Tina's question! Yes, I am working on another book. This book will be a continuation for Love Is Never Past Tense. It's edited already, and I am thinking about the name for it. I have several names in mind. So, I need to chose one :) Also, I started a book on managing adversity. The book is related to my leadership training and life coaching.

Tina, I write every day. I am involved in many other projects with the family,in the community. I am a leadership trainer and a life coach. This part of life takes time and I enjoy it so much! Physical activities, entertainment, trips also take time. Friends! These people are very important to me! So, I am not on a restricted schedule for writing. I write when I feel I want to write. I can write when I am emotional. Then, it's sincere.

Janna (jannayeshanova) | 40 comments P.J. wrote: "Hi Janna,

Your book sounds wonderful. It is next on my to be read list."

O! P.J.! Glad you are here! :) Please share with me your thoughts after you finish the book! :) I am always looking forward to such a great session like this one :)

Janna (jannayeshanova) | 40 comments Good morning Everybody! :) I'll be back in a couple of hours! :) It's almost 8 AM ET. I'll miss you! I'll be back! :)

message 41: by J. (new)

J. Hammond (jchammond) | 3 comments Good morning, Janna! Thanks for taking the time to answer questions. I'd like to follow up on Tina's question: did you always intend for Love is Never Past Tense to be part of a series? If so, how many books do you envision in the series? Are you writing this one in English or Russian? Also, what advice do you have for someone setting a story in Russia?

Thanks, again for being here and answering questions!

message 42: by Tina Theresa (last edited Oct 17, 2013 05:05AM) (new)

Tina Theresa | 255 comments Good Morning Janna! I was looking for your book on BN and Amazon. You have two different covers. Do you have a say in the covers? I do like the current one better.

message 43: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 20725 comments Wow Janna! I'm impressed by the dedication the translation must have taken. What a process. Congratulations on that achievement alone!

The other question that occurred to me - what tense is the book written? Present tense? ;)

message 44: by Sandie (last edited Oct 17, 2013 05:47AM) (new)

Sandie (scouty) | 7 comments Hi Janna - thank you for taking the timne to answer our questions here today.

When you wrote the original manuscript in Russian how long did the editing process take you and were there are lot of changes that needed to be made?

Janna (jannayeshanova) | 40 comments Tina Theresa wrote: "Thank you Janna for taking the time to answer questions. Love is Never Past Tense sounds interesting. Your story is just as fascinating.

Tina, did you see my answer down below? For some reason it did not fit in the right place :)

Janna (jannayeshanova) | 40 comments Tina Theresa wrote: "Thank you Janna for taking the time to answer questions. Love is Never Past Tense sounds interesting. Your story is just as fascinating.

Tina, did you see my answer down below? For some reason it did not fit in the right place :)

message 47: by Tina Theresa (new)

Tina Theresa | 255 comments Janna wrote: "Tina Theresa wrote: "Thank you Janna for taking the time to answer questions. Love is Never Past Tense sounds interesting. Your story is just as fascinating.

Are you working on another book right..."

I did see your answer. Thank you for answering.

Janna (jannayeshanova) | 40 comments Jay wrote: "Good morning, Janna! Thanks for taking the time to answer questions. I'd like to follow up on Tina's question: did you always intend for Love is Never Past Tense to be part of a series? If so, how ..."

Good morning, Jay! :) I never intended to have Love Is Never Past Tense in a series, but I am thinking about two more books. We'll see what happens :) The book that I was talking about previously was also written in Russian. Sometimes, I write in Russian. Now, mostly in English. Once, someone approached me and asked: "Do you think in Russian or in English?" And my answer was: "When I think in English, I do not understand myself :)" I noticed an interesting phenomenon: in my dreams, when I speak to a Russian speaker, I speak in Russian. When I speak to an English speaker, I speak in English! :) It's so interesting how a human brain works! Isn't it?

Talking about advice for someone setting a story in Russia... First of all this Someone needs to learn the culture, and all other variables of the human interjections in various settings to make the story genuine and I am open to such advice. Just let me know. This person is welcome to write me a message at Janna@loveisneverpasttense.com Sure it would be great to spend some time in that culture as well. And when I say "there" I really mean Russian geographic location. Reading Russian writers, classic and contemporary would help too. Watching movies would be a great asset as well.

Thanks for your questions, Jay! :)

Janna (jannayeshanova) | 40 comments Tina Theresa wrote: "Good Morning Janna! I was looking for your book on BN and Amazon. You have two different covers. Do you have a say in the covers? I do like the current one better."

Good morning, Tina.

I was directly involved in both covers.

In 2009, I spent almost half a year in Moscow. There I met a publisher from Ukraine who said that publishing in Ukraine would be three times less expensive than in Russia. So, my husband and I went to Ukraine. It turned out that publishing the book was three times more expensive and 25.5 times :) longer that it would be in Russia. Plus, the publisher offered a cover that he already placed on some other book a year earlier. He thought that I'd leave back to the US and would not realize it. But someone, just by chance, showed me a book from the same publisher that had exactly the same cover he offered me. So, I had a return ticket to the US and no cover. I shared it with a lady who tried to convince me that life is wonderful. :) She had a daughter who was a student at an art school, who made a cover in one night for the Russian book. I flew back home, realizing that the life was not as bad as I thought :). Later, I found out that the publisher went out of business. What a pity! He had a very intelligent face with blue eyes and a great smile...

This is what I have in Acknowledgements about the book about covers:

"Many thanks to my friend from Simferopol, Ukraine Dr. Yuri Kulish, who found for me the picture with this boundless sky for the cover of the first edition compensating the photographer with two bottles of vodka.

And I am so lucky to be able to find an outstanding graphic designer for the second edition cover, David Tonkin from Australia. I offer my gratitude for your being so comprehensive in collecting and expressing the epic scope of the novel. Thank you, David!"

There is a lot of action in the book that takes place near the sea and on the sea. I love that Black Sea so much! I felt that the first 'blue" cover for the English version would work great for the love story shared in Love Is Never Past Tense. Then, I realized that I need to reveal in the cover more of what is in the story. This is how the second cover came alive. This was my choice. I love both of these covers. Both of them are very truthful.

Janna (jannayeshanova) | 40 comments Jane (PS) wrote: "Wow Janna! I'm impressed by the dedication the translation must have taken. What a process. Congratulations on that achievement alone!

The other question that occurred to me - what tense is the b..."

Hi Jane :),

On one hand, when I am describing some event, I talk and usually write in present tense both in Russian and in English This is natural for me. I feel that in present tense the feelings, the pictures of nature and events are amplified with a stronger power. It seams to me that present tense gives an impression that the reader is in the actions. The reader becomes a silent witness of what is happening now. He worries, he wants to help, he wants to grab a hand of the hero and prevent him from trouble. The reader participates in the life described.

On another hand, due to the fact that the book is an epic story there are flashbacks. In some parts of the book, you are with the hero in the past, then, you come back to the present. You know how sometimes we are looking back and thinking "What if" ? Maybe something can be changed? Something, that you dreamt about your whole life... Can we change it? Will you?

On Goodreads Listopia the book is # 1 as a Best Second Chance Romance

https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/1...

The book is an epic story, but it's about the future! :)

« previous 1