The American Civil War discussion

General Discussion > Reenacting

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Just out of curiosity, how many of you guys are reenactors?

message 2: by Lena (new)

Lena (Weathy) | 10 comments I am an unofficial reenactor every March.

message 3: by Mark (new)

Mark | 12 comments Jrdaπ, Et ipsa scientia potestas est. wrote: "Just out of curiosity, how many of you guys are reenactors?"I am. Been doing it for nearly 9 years. I love it.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Are you Union or Confederate?

message 5: by Mark (new)

Mark | 12 comments My unit actually does both. I'm in an artillery unit.

message 6: by Lena (new)

Lena (Weathy) | 10 comments Awesome!

message 7: by Michael (new)

Michael Hi all....
Mind if I ask 2 innocent questions based entirely on my own ignorance of the subject?

(1) For those who participate in reenactments, what is the purpose?
(2) Why aren't there reenactments of other wars, such as Vietnam, Korea, War of 1812, Mexican War, WWI and II, Persian Gulf War, Iraq, etc....?

Michael

message 8: by Lena (new)

Lena (Weathy) | 10 comments I think there are none because these wars involve more hight-tech machinery and lots more destruction,

message 9: by Lena (new)

Lena (Weathy) | 10 comments People participate in reenactments to teach the public about our past; very important,

message 10: by Mark (new)

Mark | 12 comments Well Michael; in answer to your questions. Those of us who do it are very interested in that period of American history. We want to show people how people lived and fought in that period. We are there to answer questions and show everyone both sides of the conflict. Plus, we have a really good time. I've made lots of new friends in reenacting.

In response to you second question there are reenactors that do the Revolutionary War, WWI, WWII and I believe Vietnam. I believe they do it for the same reason those of us do the Civil War.

message 11: by Lena (new)

Lena (Weathy) | 10 comments In my opinion, wars like the Revolutionary War are in terms of weaponry less difficult in mastering and less in terms of harm as opposed to wars such as Vietnam and WWII and WWI.

message 12: by Joe (new)

Joe | 1 comments consider reenactments like a grand play on stage. based on real events. the drama that shaped a nation displayed so we can learn our history first hand. no i'm not a reenactor

message 13: by Lena (new)

Lena (Weathy) | 10 comments Well said, Joe. Very true.