The Next Best Book Club discussion

Looking For Recommendations > Clean, Romantic YA

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie | 271 comments I'm a big fan of romantic YA (YA with a strong romantic element), but I'm running out of books I want to read. I'm trying to add new ones to my list. My favorite YA authors are Sharon Shinn, Patricia C. Wrede, Vivian Vande Velde, Elizabeth Marie Pope, Sherwood Smith and Shannon Hale. My fave books include Ella Enchanted and Summers at Castle Auburn. I hate chick lit and the Twilight series. Any suggestions?

message 2: by Allison (last edited Jun 01, 2009 08:00AM) (new)

Allison (inconceivably) A Countess Below Stairs has been recommended to me by several people, I haven't read it yet but it looks good.

Also, A Northern Light is a book I am reading now and is VERY good so far, has several different genres mixed together, romance being one of them. Also historical/mystery.

A big favorite of mine is Graceling, judging by the authors you listed I think you'd love it.

Another favorite of mine is The Hunger Games, it has a pretty big romance plot weaved in too.

message 3: by Bonnie (last edited Jun 01, 2009 08:05AM) (new)

Bonnie | 271 comments I REALLY want to read Graceling. There's a cheapish copy coming out in September on Amazon Japan and I'm going to pre-order it. Hunger Games is also on my to-read list.

I read A Countess Below Stairs and found it a bit old-fashioned (everything so simple and clear with the good guys GOOD and the bad guys BAD), but I'm willing to give Eva Ibbotson another shot and read another book by her. I'll add A Northern Light to my list.

Thank you and keep the recs coming!

message 4: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) Hi Bonnie - what about the Anne of Green Gables series? What a breath of fresh air they are! I just finished the first two, Anne of Green Gables and Anne of Avonlea, but I understand from Allison that the third one is really terrific (Anne of the Island).

message 5: by Allison (new)

Allison (inconceivably) oh yeah, I must be slipping...Laura is right, if you haven't read them...you MUST try the Anne series, they're great :) I adore the whole series.

message 6: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie | 271 comments I read Anne of Green Gables and Anne of Avonlea when I was younger and LOVED them. But I should re-read them.

message 7: by Allison (new)

Allison (inconceivably) if you don't want to read the whole 8 book series, you can read the first 3 and get a pretty decent ending :)

message 8: by El (new)

El Along the same vein as the Anne of Green Gables, there's always The Blue Castle by the same author. It often goes unrecognized since her Anne books are so popular.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1736 comments Out of print, I think, but I loved Dawn's Early Light, by Elswyth Thane, when I was in my teens. It wasn't written to be YA, but is a historical novel with a strong romance element that is suitable for teens. (I think I read my mother's copy when I was 12, with her encouragement.)

It's the first book in a series, but the first two or three are really the strongest in the series, and they can be hard to find these days.

message 10: by Josie (last edited Jun 01, 2009 05:40PM) (new)

Josie (maid_marian) Bonnie, I just recently read Tanith Lee's Wolf Tower series (starting with Wolf Tower The Claidi Journals I) - they're short and quirky, but I love the main character's voice, and the first one especially has romance in it...
And I second the Blue Castle, it's lovely!

message 11: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie | 271 comments Thanks! I added The Blue Castle and Dawn's Early Light to my list. I've read the Claidi Journals and liked them. Though I read the last book long after the others (it hadn't been published yet when I started reading the series) and I had forgotten what had happened in the first couple of books so I was confused through a lot of it!

message 12: by Josie (new)

Josie (maid_marian) Well I think the last one was definitely the weirdest, so it wouldn't take much to be confused by it!
Okay, I've compared our books, and here's some you might like that you don't appear to have read (or have on your to-read list):
Jackaroo A Novel of the Kingdom, Elske A Novel of the Kingdom, and On Fortune's Wheel all set in the same kingdom, by Cynthia Voigt.
The Only Alien on the Planet by Kristen D. Randle (I thought this one was amazing!)
The Unrivalled Spangles (not as cheesy as the title suggests!) by Karen Wallace.
A Girl of the Limberlost by Gene Stratton-Porter.
The Seer and the Sword (fantasy) by Victoria Hanley.
Playing Beatie Bow (time-travel) by Ruth Park.
- Hope some of those sound interesting :)

JG (Introverted Reader) I recommend any books by L. M. Montgomery. The Anne books are my favorites, but you really can't go wrong with any of them.

message 14: by Mari Anne (new)

Mari Anne | 35 comments For all of you HUGE Anne of Green Gables fans.... I just recently finished "Before Green Gables" which was written by a different author under permission from L.M. Montgomery's heirs. It tells Anne's back story from the time she was born until she arrives at Green Gables. I thought it was very well done and is obviously a treat for those... like me... who just can't get enough Anne!

message 15: by Anna (new)

Anna Elliott (annaelliott) | 1 comments I second the Cynthia Voigt recommendation! The last lines of "On Fortune's Wheel" make me tear up every time!

Juliet Marillier writes adult historical fantasy, but she also has 2 YA books that I enjoyed--Wildwood Dancing and Cymbele's Secret.

message 16: by Brenda (new)

Brenda | 266 comments Hello Bonnie: No one has mentioned Mrs. Mike by Benedict Freedman. This is my favourite romance EVER. It's such a beautiful love story, based on a true "Mrs. Mike" who marries a Canadian mountie and leaves her comfortable life in Boston, to join him in the north. I read this book as a young teenager and I think this book may have made me become a reader.

message 17: by Kate (new)

Kate Quinn Ellen Conford is wonderful funny YA - "A Royal Pain" is a screamer. Also great are the Anastasia Krupnik books by Lois Lowry; marvelous funny stories about a middle-school girl growing up.

I agree with everybody who promoted Eva Ibbotson; she is wonderful. And Mrs. Mike is a great read, though it has some very sad parts - deaths in the family, etc.

message 18: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie | 271 comments Great, thanks for the continued suggestions! I've never heard of Mrs. Mike before, but the reviews make it sound very interesting. I tried On Fortune's Wheel once and only got about 50 pages before giving up, but I'll give it another go. I added most of the rest of the suggestions to my to-read list.

message 19: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 3 comments I love Anne of Green Gables!If you like Shannon Hale, you will love the author Robin McKinley. "The Blue Sword", "The Hero and the Crown" and "Beauty" are all great. I also suggest "Wildwood Dancing" by Juliet Marillier.

message 20: by Carmen (last edited Jul 16, 2009 08:14AM) (new)

Carmen | 18 comments Bonnie,
I recommend Megan Whalen Turner's The Queen of Attolia/The King of Attolia/The Thief
Other titles I love have already been mentioned: On Fortune's Wheel and The Only Alien in the Planet.
I also recommend my own book Two Moon Princess by Carmen Ferreiro-Esteban. It was published in 2007 by Tanglewood Press and most libraries will order it for you if you ask.

message 21: by Natalee (new)

Natalee (nataleem00) | 79 comments I'm reading Bewitching Season and am enjoying it. It has some romance, magic, mystery and historical fiction. It's about twin sisters who are entering their first London season. They possess magical powers that only a few know about. Their governess, also a witch, goes missing and the girls are determined to find her in between balls and teas. Fun read.... Perfect for all YA readers.

message 22: by Bhumi (new)

Bhumi | 524 comments Natalee wrote: "I'm reading Bewitching Season and am enjoying it. It has some romance, magic, mystery and historical fiction. It's about twin sisters who are entering their first London season. T..."

I have Bewitching Season on hold in the library. I'm glad you liked it!

message 23: by Bhumi (new)

Bhumi | 524 comments Bonnie wrote: "I REALLY want to read Graceling. There's a cheapish copy coming out in September on Amazon Japan and I'm going to pre-order it. Hunger Games is also on my to-read list.

I read A Countess Below Sta..."

I read Graceling, and I thought it was a good book. I also read Hunger Games, and I loved it!

You should definitely read it ASAP.

message 24: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) Mari Anne wrote: "For all of you HUGE Anne of Green Gables fans.... I just recently finished "Before Green Gables" which was written by a different author under permission from L.M. Montgomery's heirs. It tells Ann..."

I'd never heard of this, thanks Mari Anne! Have you read this one Allison? You're the Anne nut.

I love the Anne series too. They are such a nice cozy read.

I actually want to transport myself back in time so that life could actually BE like that now.

message 25: by Allison (new)

Allison (inconceivably) yeah, I heard about the Before Green Gables thing, I think they are (or are going to) make the movie too, aren't they?

I was just scared to read it because I'm afraid it won't live up to LM Montgomery.

message 26: by Katie (new)

Katie | 16 comments You might try Daphne Du Maurier she wrote "Rebecca" and Jamaica Inn" It sounds like you might like Jamaica better though.

message 27: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn El wrote: "Along the same vein as the Anne of Green Gables, there's always The Blue Castle by the same author. It often goes unrecognized since her Anne books are so popular."

I would definitely second this! It's got an older (20s) heroine and is a bit more "grown-up" than the earlier Anne books, but not in a trashy way. It's really beautiful and a romance with some thought behind it! :-)

message 28: by jessi (new)

jessi (infinitevantage) | 86 comments I would suggest Annie on My Mind by Nancy Garden. It's a gay coming of age tale about two young girls who fall in love. It is a clean, cute book, that was very influential as far as LGBT books go.

message 29: by Kathryn (last edited Sep 30, 2009 01:01PM) (new)

Kathryn
Would you consider mysteries? I LOVE Agatha Christie and I know she is not "YA" but some of her books have a romance element and feature YA characters and are all very clean romance-wise. I especially love The Secret Adversary and The Man in the Brown Suit

In non-mystery
They are "old fashioned" but
Little Women and Rose in Bloom are lovely!

A lot of my suggestions aren't shelved under YA but feature young adult characters so I suppose it depends what you are going for precisely. I'd also suggest these as good, clean romances
A Room With a View
Jane Eyre
I Capture the Castle

Also, they are historical fiction YA but I remember being rather captivated by some of Ann Rinaldi's books when I was in my teens

message 30: by Virginia (new)

Virginia Hume I am with Kathryn on the "I capture the Castle" recommendation. I just read it and adored it.

It was the subject of an extensive discussion within this group recently.

message 31: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (macyboston) Natalee wrote: "I'm reading Bewitching Season and am enjoying it. It has some romance, magic, mystery and historical fiction. It's about twin sisters who are entering their first London season. T..."

I really like Bewitching Season. Glad to hear you liked it too!

message 32: by Polly (new)

Polly Here are some great YA Romance books:
This Lullaby
Just Listen
Where Rainbows End- This is a bit chick-lit but still a great book and worth checking out.

message 33: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cyndil62) | 253 comments Polly, I was just going to suggest Lock and Key by Sarah Dessen or The Truth About Forever! These are the only two of hers that I've read but I really enjoyed these.

message 34: by Valerie (new)

Valerie (owensval) I fully agree with suggestion for Mrs. Mike and Little Women, as they are possibly my two all time favorite novels. I love, love, love Sarah Dessen, particularly Just Listen and The Truth About Forever. I'm not so much a fan of her latest books. I'd also recommend Seventeenth Summer by Maureen Daly. Gorgeous, clean romance. And lastly, Mr. and Mrs. Bo Jo Jones is an awesome YA lit novel.