CLBB Refugees discussion

Anyone else get a "First Reads" Win?

Comments Showing 1-43 of 43 (43 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bob (new)

Bob | 31 comments I just checked my AOL mail account, not my main address, but the one I use here, and got a notice that I'd won a pre-release copy of Brett Battles SHADOW OF BETRAYAL!

I'd registered for a number of the freebies available and because only the title was shown, I had no idea who the author was til I checked it. Turns out it's the third book in a series I'd started with THE CLEANER, and also read the second, THE DECEIVED. I have to admit that I've read so many new crime authors lately that I remember very little about either!

Anyone else get a notice about winning a freebie?

Bob

message 2: by Kristine (new)

Kristine (moxie) | 78 comments Mod
I register for them but I've never won a darned thing.

I keep trying though. :)

message 3: by Bob (new)

Bob | 31 comments Newbie's luck, I guess ;-) This was the first time I'd done it!

I wonder if they look at reading preferences, or if it's a blind drawing?

Bob

message 4: by Kristine (new)

I'm pretty sure it's random. Looking at lists would be way too time consuming.

Jeanette (Ms. Feisty) | 66 comments Your lucky day, Bob, and what a nice coincidence that you've already read the first two! I've never registered for any of the freebies.

message 6: by Kristine (new)

Luck of the Bob rubbed off on me!! I won a copy of The Imperfect Enjoyment!

***off to find out which one that was***

message 7: by Bob (last edited Jun 04, 2009 05:29AM) (new)

Bob | 31 comments Post-college debauchery in the land of breast implants? LOL, I actually remember that description. I did not compete. :-)

Bob

message 8: by Kristine (new)

Bob wrote: "Post-college debauchery in the land of breast implants? LOL, I actually remember that description. I did not compete. :-)

Bob"

The description reminded me of Carl Hiassen novels. I like his books and am always on the lookout for good brain candy. And I'm glad I won something. :)

message 9: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 34 comments I've registered but have yet to win a book.

Jeanette (Ms. Feisty) | 66 comments I had never even tried for the giveaways, but your wins have made me optimistic. I'm now signed up for a few.

message 11: by Kristine (new)

It can't hurt to try. :)

message 12: by Kristine (new)

I finally got my copy of my book. It came with a photo-shopped flyer leading one to believe that Obama is a fan of the book.

Jeanette (Ms. Feisty) | 66 comments Gee, with all the books he's endorsing, it's a wonder Obama has any time to perform his presidential duties! ;-)
Funny how no one tried to promote books using Bush Boy's name. Everyone knows he can't read!

message 14: by Kristine (new)

Oh you're so lucky you got a good one!

I started mine and put it down as it was geared towards the Maxim reader.

message 15: by Kristine (new)

There's a book in there I want really really bad. But with 10 copies available and 1138 entries so far I'm not holding my breath. :)

message 16: by Erin (new)

Erin | 37 comments I registered for my second one...the Bellevue one. 50 copies, so...maybe?

message 17: by Sherri (new)

Sherri (sdmomchef) | 17 comments
O.K.....stupid question....what is First Reads?

message 18: by Kristine (new)

There's a section under Explore-books where you can win advance copies of books.

message 19: by Sherri (new)

Sherri (sdmomchef) | 17 comments Kristine wrote: "There's a section under Explore-books where you can win advance copies of books. "

Thank you!

message 20: by Erin (new)

Erin | 37 comments Whoa. I won. I think there has GOT to be something to this, as I am not a lucky person. I don't think it's random...

message 21: by Kristine (new)

We'll see if anyone wins 2 :)

message 22: by Jeanette (Ms. Feisty) (last edited Aug 10, 2009 01:47PM) (new)

Jeanette (Ms. Feisty) | 66 comments Kristi, I've already won two. :) (Second was the Mitchard one. Haven't received it yet.) According to good reads, the selection is totally random, so we're just a bunch of lucky folk!

message 23: by Erin (last edited Aug 10, 2009 04:28PM) (new)

Erin | 37 comments Still I have to wonder...look how many of us have won! And there are LOTS members, I'm sure. I only had a 4% chance of winning that book. I know SOMEONE had to win, but I think it's the large list of medical related books on my to read list that tipped the scales.

Also, in the email I received, it does state that if you review the book on goodreads, you are *more likely* to win future giveaways...

message 24: by Kristine (new)

OK I'll read the whole book and review. I started a First Reads shelf like they wanted too.

Some other older white women liked it so who knows-maybe I misjudged. It's a short book so this shouldn't take long.

Jeanette (Ms. Feisty) | 66 comments Kristi, you can be our test case. I dutifully posted my review of the book I won, and the next day I won my second book. I'm a big believer in the randomness of the universe, so I didn't attribute it to anything but chance. We'll see...

Jeanette (Ms. Feisty) | 66 comments Erin wrote: "...I think it's the large list of medical related books on my to read list that tipped the scales."

Erin, the terms and conditions for those listing giveaways states "Our algorithm uses member data to match interested members with each book." So I think they do get a general idea of reading interests from your shelves.

message 27: by Erin (new)

Erin | 37 comments Makes sense to me. Also, I clicked on the list of people who've also shelved the first reads book I won. All of them except for me, have more than one book on their "first reads" shelf.

message 28: by Erin (new)

Erin | 37 comments Interesting experiment you guys are doing (as I note the sudden increase in the number of books added having to do with giveaways!)

message 29: by Kristine (new)

It's been a few months since I won my book but I did post a review.

And today I registered for a lot of books.

We shall see.....

message 30: by Erin (new)

Erin | 37 comments Y'know Kristi, we'll know that it's really not a random thing (for fiction) when someone gives away a zombie or plague book. Seeing as how you have those shelves, you'll HAVE to win!

message 32: by Erin (last edited Aug 15, 2009 06:41AM) (new)

Erin | 37 comments woo hoo! How many total have you signed up for?

message 33: by Kristine (new)

A lot. I try to read the description to make sure it's something I'd read though.

Jeanette (Ms. Feisty) | 66 comments Right on, Kristi!! Maybe it's really true that first reads reviews help you win more books. :)

message 35: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 34 comments I just got an email saying I won a book! It is this one... http://www.goodreads.com/giveaway/sho... I requested it because I've read the Sears' books on pregnancy and baby care and found them helpful, so maybe they have something to say about adult health, too.

message 36: by Erin (new)

Erin | 37 comments I won another one too, a few weeks ago, "The Mac Book Pro Genius". Haven't received it yet.

message 37: by Kristine (new)

Goodreads doesn't accept my new address as valid. Grrrrr.... The town I moved to is only a few months old so I kinda get that but it won't accept the old name and zip either. Weird.

message 38: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 34 comments That is weird. Can you email someone at Goodreads?

Jeanette (Ms. Feisty) | 66 comments Jessica wrote: "I just got an email saying I won a book! It is this one... http://www.goodreads.com/giveaway/sho... I requested it because I've read the Sears' books on pr..."
It's fun to get those "you won" e-mails. :) This looks like it could be really useful. I see they're promoting the book pretty heavily here on Good Reads. There's another one to be given away on Dec. 18.

Bummer, Kristi! Especially if you've got giveaways you entered before you moved. Maybe they just don't have that new ZIP code in their database yet.

message 40: by Kristine (new)

Lately there's been nothing great available. Bums me out since i got the address situation fixed.

I'm hoping for Mockingjay :)

message 41: by Erin (new)

Erin | 37 comments Erin wrote: "I won another one too, a few weeks ago, "The Mac Book Pro Genius". Haven't received it yet."

Y'know what? I never received this book.

Jeanette (Ms. Feisty) | 66 comments Erin I have not received three of the ten or so books I've won. I hardly ever bother to enter anymore. And Kristi, you're right. The quality of what they're offering in the giveaways has plummeted.

message 43: by Erin (new)

Erin | 37 comments I feel better knowing it's happened to others as well! I haven't even bothered to peruse the offerings in quite some time. So many of them were things I really wasn't interested in.