European Royalty discussion

History Group Reads > When Christ & His Saints Slept: Ch. 17 - 37

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) | 2153 comments Please discuss Chapter 17 (Westminster, England, June 1141) through Chapter 37 (Devizes, England, January 1148) here.

message 2: by Mandy (new)

Mandy Moody | 544 comments I'm just starting chapter 32.
It took me longer to become really invested in this book than I would have expected.
I'm there now, though! Loving it - thinking about it often and wanting to read it all the time.

Possible Spoilers---------
I know - from reading about Eleanor and Henry II - that Stephen will end up King and that he will name Henry as his heir. If I remember correctly, Maude lives a long time, eventually ending up in a convent.

I'm dying to see how all those things happen! Penman is masterful - I'm on the edge of my seat, even though I have a pretty good idea of how everything turns out!
I can't wait to read about Henry and Eleanor meeting and why/how Eustace is passed over by Stephen.

I'm curious about Ranaulf as a character. Wondering if he's a creation, or if Penman actually has some history on him. I know she'll say so in the authors note at the end, but I don't want to skip ahead to read it!
I love him. Love the story of he and Annora. I just read about the orphans...what a sweet story!

message 3: by Misfit (last edited Jun 12, 2009 05:19AM) (new)

Misfit | 696 comments "I can't wait to read about Henry and Eleanor meeting"

No spoilers, because we know that happens but just you wait, those two smoke and sizzle off the pages, the chemistry is something else. And no, I'm not talking gratuitous sex scenes either.

If I recall, Ranulf is an imaginary character and she'll address that in the author's notes. Old Henry had so many bastards she figured putting one more for sake of her story wouldn't hurt.