What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Glyph
This topic is about Glyph
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. Super-baby plagues by linguists [s]

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mir (last edited May 31, 2009 02:13PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mir | 714 comments I read this novel around 2000 and believe it would have been recently published as I got it from the "new" shelf in the university library. It was about a super-smart baby and his parents. I believe his father was a professor of linguistics or lit crit, as Roland Barthes had a cameo as his colleague. The baby might have been a product of genetic engineering, but that wasn't a big deal. It was NOT the one by Robin Cook where the doctor makes his unborn son an evil genius. This book would be classed as "literary" rather than genre fiction and had lots of intellectual musings in it.

message 2: by Emily (new) - added it

Emily (emmy1066) | 49 comments Hi Miriam. Ha, and I did think of that Robin Cook book first. I think this is it though:

Glyph by Percival Everett

Grabbing academia where it hurts the most, by its swollen, unintelligible poststructuralist theories, the prolific Everett (Frenzy, 1997, etc.) uses a most unlikely foil: a genius baby who reads and writes but refuses to speak, striking fear into his parents and all those who kidnap him for their own nefarious ends....
Meanwhile, his father a pompous academic who fawns over Roland Barthes, bringing him home for supper ...

message 3: by Mir (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mir | 714 comments I think that is it! Thanks, Emily!