College Students! discussion

Past Discussions of Group Reads > Water for Elephants--NO SPOILERS!

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 4407 comments Mod
Please refrain from posting spoilers in here..

message 2: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

Who is planning on reading this book this month and/or who has already read it? General thoughts if you have? Are you all excited to read it?

I am for sure. It's been sitting on my shelf for a while. I just started it today and it is good so far!

As I'm sure most of you know..it's set (at least what I've read so far) in a circus setting. How many of you went to the circus when you were little?

I remember going once when I was little. It was great! I also went a few years ago and it was just as good..but it didn't quite have the awe factor as it did when I was little!

message 3: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (mouser083) | 109 comments I've also had this book for quite some time. I'm enjoying what I read so far as well. I don't know why I've never read it. My father used to take me every Sunday to the SwapShop for the circus, but they stopped having one. Now that I have a child, I wish I could take him, but there aren't any around my town =(

message 4: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 279 comments I started reading it this past week. So far I like it. I think that I went to a circus once when I was a kid and that was it. I have a fear of things in costumes so needless to say I DONT like Clowns at all. So my experience at the circus wasnt good.

I read the jacket of this book and saw the "freaks and clowns" and wasnt sure if i would be able to read it. My coworkers said I should and that it is a fantastic book. So I am reading it but depending on what lays ahead I might not be able to finish it would having nightmares...

message 5: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

aww Melissa! Let's hope it doesn't cause you to have nightmares! I used to be afraid of clowns as a little girl. i don't know why..they just freaked me out!

message 6: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 279 comments They still freak me out and anything in a costume whom I dont know under it.
So far I am really enjoying the book! I put it down to read The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society which I have a time limit on to read it. I cant wait to pick Water for Elephants back up though!

message 7: by Janet (new)

Janet I am about 130 pages in and am really, really enjoying it! I heard it was great and so far it is! I think I went to the circus once as a kid and I really don't like it. I feel bad for the animals. Haha.

message 8: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

I always felt bad for the animals too!!

message 9: by Molly (new)

Molly (slinkyxo) | 153 comments I went to the circus a few times as a child. I was always in awe by the acrobatics.

I'm starting this one right now actually. I'm pretty excited for it.

message 10: by Lynn (new)

Lynn I read this book awhile back and hated it, but to be fair, I'm going to re-read it to see if my opinion still holds. I'm excited to see what other people say.

I remember one time at the circus (i think my first time) they let kids get on the elephant while it walked around and my sister got to ride but I chickened out b/c I didn't want a stranger lifting me up on it. For years I regretted not riding the elephant (but then I got to a little later in life so it's ok). I was really terrified of people in, like, foam costumes. You know what I mean? I remember going to the state fair and there'd be like a big lightbulb who walked around and you could take pictures with him and my sister is the only one in the picture b/c I remember my eyes just welling up with tears and hiding behind my mom. And I was ashamed of myself for being afraid. Gosh I don't know WHAT it was... maybe b/c I couldn't see their face? sorry, way off topic! haha.

I think circuses are always better in the movies.. more glamorous. The circuses that came around our area were usually really "gritty". I think the book stays more with that realistic and gritty interpretation which is interesting

message 11: by Janet (new)

Janet I figured out why I hate the circus so much. Because of Dumbo. That movie really upset me (and still does) when they're mean to his mom and then when they all laugh at him. I want to cry just thinking about it!

message 12: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 279 comments Yeah I didnt like that movie at all. I didnt like them being mean to the mother and I really didnt like the pink elephants part. That really scared me.

message 13: by Bree (new)

Bree (breezybaby) | 144 comments Just started reading this!

I have never been to a circus..although I would love to go! Although I wonder how bad they actually treat the animals or if they treat them well..

I also hated Dumbo as well for the same reasons!

message 14: by Jessie (new)

Jessie (Jessie08) | 128 comments I just started reading the book last night. I think I will really enjoy it. I like a few of you have had this sitting on my shelf for a while. It being picked as our group read gives me an excellent reason to read it.

I've always had a fascination with the circus, (almost wanting to join it even) so I think I will really enjoy this book. I always loved when my parents would take me as a kid. The smells, the animals and I remember how much I wanted to be one of the girls on the trapeze, flying through the air with all that sequence on. Recently one of my friends was taking her son to the circus for the first time. She wanted someone to go with her, I volunteered acting as if it were a favor for her, hiding my excitement!

message 15: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (autumned) I just read the prologue and chapter one. this book has been sitting on my shelf forever, collecting dust, so it's about time I get around to reading it.

message 16: by Trisha (new)

Trisha (mom2twinsplus1) I've got this book on my Summer 2009 Reading Challenge list. It sounded really interesting and I can't wait to start!

message 17: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

I just finished the book! I ended up really liking it! Over to the spoiler section I will go! :)

message 18: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (mouser083) | 109 comments This book is so good. I haven't finished it yet. I'm almost there. I'm at work right now doing nothing but reading =) It's a good thing I'm so damn good at my job that I can bust out an 8 hour shift worth of work in 1 hour. I can't put the book down!

message 19: by Janet (new)

Janet I know Amanda!! I am LOVING this book!!!

message 20: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (mouser083) | 109 comments Ok, so I just finished it and wow! I can't believe I let this book sit on my shelf for such a long time. What the heck was I thinking!!! Sooooo good!

message 21: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 279 comments I have 20-30 pages left of the book I couldn't finish it because my break was up, it always works that way. I love the book so far I cant wait to see how it ends!!!

message 22: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (ash88) I just finished-- I loved it! If you haven't read it or are just starting, its the kind of book that just keeps getting better as it goes. :)

message 23: by Janet (new)

Janet Hey guys. Just wanted to say I am sorry for being a bad group discussion leader. I have had some sad stuff happen in the last couple days and haven't been around a computer. Just wanted to let you all know. Feel free to take over and ask some questions. I will try and keep up, but again, I apologize greatly.

message 24: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

Janet wrote: "Hey guys. Just wanted to say I am sorry for being a bad group discussion leader. I have had some sad stuff happen in the last couple days and haven't been around a computer. Just wanted to let you ..."

Janet..don't worry about it. The discussion is going great..and plus..life is more important! Hope everything is ok!

message 25: by sara frances (new)

sara frances (sara_frances) is anyone listening to the audiobook? i LOVE it. the 93 year old narrator sounds like the most crotchety old man ever.

message 26: by Janet (new)

Janet I know a lot of people have said what they thought of the book and since the month is almost over just thought I would ask again. How did everyone like it? If you could sum up this book in one (maybe two) words, what would you say?